Spending 10% of earning for Audio Hardware, is it sensible?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Melody50, Sep 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Smart

2. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses?

It's just a goof, the chances of me being happy when my significant other is happy, are, however, much greater than the other way around.

Ingenieur likes this.
  3. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

4. Oscillation

I try to save around 25% a year as well, can't say sometimes I double that. I've only really spent about 1% of one years income on audio gear....but I'm cheap!

csgreene likes this.
  5. Oscillation

I figure when I retire, and everyone is set, and I can have a nice irrevocable trust to leave my children, maybe I'll go nuts!

elvisizer and Khorn like this.
  6. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Saving a always been must do, like paying bills.
    Sometimes harder: kids, buying a home, etc.
    10-15% (not counting home equity)

others, like now, 40-50%
    Not sure why, it'll be left to others, lol
    But always something.

I had a $ doesn't matter mindset until marriage/kids, but was always frugal.
    Being poor as a kid will do that.
    I care less now, I got lucky by choosing a profession I love and $ was a consequence, not the reason.

Melody50, Khorn and Oscillation like this.
  7. Oscillation

My old dad always used to say the point of an education is to be able to do what you love.

Khorn and Ingenieur like this.
  8. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

One thing no one has taken into account is cost of living. The OP is in Thailand and I'm just guessing that the cost of living there is considerably lower than the US or Europe and likely many other places.

james and Ingenieur like this.
  9. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Smart man

spend your life dreading work!?
    Yes, there are times that you tough it out but as you progress it should become less and less, a tipping point, then all honey, lol
    That was my goal, not accumulation of $
    I worked harder for that than I ever did money.

When you do the final dance what will bring more peace?
    A bunch of numbers on paper? (As long as those left behind are covered)
    Or a life of meaningful and enjoyable work?

Which has more value?
    Which brings more of a sense of accomplishment?

to each their own

10. Oscillation

It does not matter. 10 percent is 10 percent, every year for 20 years.

11. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Looking at it like a monthly budget, many have said that using 25% of your income on your house payment is about right. Shouldn't go higher. 10% of the annual income for any $100k earner is $10k per year. That could be your entire system for some or just a modest upgrade on an amp or speakers. If folks buy 1 or two new cars every 5 years for $40k+ each, the two payments might be close to the mortgage payment. So the $100k earner might skip a new car and buy something that will provide joy for a lifetime! Kinda need a car though.

Ingenieur and Khorn like this.
  12. Oscillation

Maybe most importantly I find the whole story to be highly suspect, so I’m treating it as a hypothetical.

13. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Yes I agree but I find that those chauffeurs can be a PITA.

jonwoody and Boltman92124 like this.
  14. carbonti

carbonti Forum Resident

Perhaps a blessed economic cross-section, this form represents.Well good on us.

More real and down to earth might be that the average wage-earner does not have 10% left over after living life and all that it entails.

It is a truism that making the first million is the hardest.

15. h1pst3r88

h1pst3r88 Forum Resident

I put together a stunning system, once, for less than 3% of my earnings in one year (hint: BUY USED!). It included:

Line Magnetic LM-218ia tube amp
    Cayin A-60T tube amp
    Several sets of new and NOS tubes
    --
    Audio-GD R2r-R1 DAC
    Black Ice GlassFX DSD Wifi tube DAC
    --
    Omega Outlaw Super 3 XRS speakers with built-in active 8" hemp cone subwoofers
    --
    Equi=Core 1800 + Deep Core balanced power conditioners
    --
    Interconnects: Tom Evans Eikos (x2), Bogdan Goldy, and VH Audio Pulsar w/ WBT terminals
    --
    Speakers cables: Zu LibTec speaker cables (2 sets)
    --
    Power cables by VH Audio, Signal, Harmonic Tech, and Pangea

I couldn't justify 10% of my earnings per year to really anything that depreciates as quickly as audio gear (or cars, or any consumer electronics) -- in fact that same depreciation is why I have never paid more than 30-40% of original retail for any audiophile gear I own.

I have spent 10% of my earnings in a year on guitars because I have been a studied and practicing musician for decades... but also because I have never bought a guitar that I didn't make money on after selling.

16. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Funny topic. There's really no clear answer that fits everyone. First off, we're talking about fun money expenditures. That's money left over after the basics are met. Water, food, housing, etc. As far as WHAT to spend the extra money on and how much will always be up to debate between two people. No two people are alike. Most women that I know (and most men, as well) could give a rat's ass about spending money on cables, speakers, turntables, etc. If someone has no interest, they will always see it as a waste of money. Yes, some spouses will say "but I want to make him happy," which is great, but deep down still think it's a waste, and could be better spent on whatever interests them. See my point? I would throw up at the thought of spending $2000 on a purse or a pair of shoes, but not some women. I get it! It's meaningful to them. So in the end, what you really need is to be given the freedom (and to give --- works both ways) to spend what you feel is appropriate for your hobby. You know what your family income is, so you have to decide as to whether or not you spend $200 or $200,000 on a new pair of speakers.

Orbe, Khorn and h1pst3r88 like this.
  17. h1pst3r88

h1pst3r88 Forum Resident

Solid post, Sam.

18. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I've got news for you. GOOD audio equipment holds its value quite well. Like your guitars, I have seen some nice returns over the years on my old equipment. The same with some records. The value on some has skyrocketed.

19. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

heh it's amusing to me that you wrote this and live in CA
    can be hard to keep that under 25% in ca- I bought a house in 2014 and have been spending about 40% of my income on that mortgage, but i don't regret it- bought the house for $605k in 2014, it's worth 1.2 mil now :)

jonwoody likes this.
  20. Oscillation

Well it holds it's value better than crack, that's for sure. The problem is conspicuous consumption which is sending our planet spiraling into the flaming maws of hell.

21. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

Crazy, you should buy the best gear you can afford and listen to it loud before your hearing goes.

Khorn likes this.
  22. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Yeah I know.........

elvisizer likes this.
  23. h1pst3r88

h1pst3r88 Forum Resident

Perhaps, but not in the current world of DACs where a rarefied air DAC from just a few years ago is now $.30-.60 on the dollar. The good old Marantz 8s and McIntosh tube classics obviously not withstanding.

24. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Stupid because that's exactly what will happen to your hearing listening loud. You must be a pretty young buck.

25. Oscillation

Live fast, have fun, die young?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.