Spider-Man '67 poll

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Hall Cat, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member Thread Starter

For Spider-Man '67 fans, which do you like better? I dig them both I but prefer the psychedelic seasons.

NickySee likes this.
  2. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Inform us, HC. Why are 2 & 3 the psychedelic seasons? :)

I really do wish there was (legal) service that streamed episodes. I’d seriously consider subscribing. Disney apparently owns it but doesn’t have it on their app/website.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    vinnie and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  3. Hall Cat

Ralph Bakshi was the producer

Shawn likes this.
  4. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Never heard of them till now.

5. Afaninfull

Afaninfull Forum Resident

Huge fan of season one. It was so reflective of those early spiderman comics and especially the John Romita era. So many of the classic villains…Electro, Green Goblin, Lizard, Mysterious, Doctor Octopus and the Vulture along with possibly Spidey’s greatest nemesis…J. Jonah Jameson.
    I couldn’t run home fast enough from school in First Grade and Second Grade to watch these.

6. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I love them all and the one thing I love the most about these is the music. Many of the cues are still imprinted in my memory to this day.

7. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

There was a 'Jungle episode' where Spidey was spinning webs and soaring above the trees (guess he was latching onto low flying planes) where the sounds of the 'native African people' was the same as the sound effects used at the start of Southside Johnny's When You Dance.

SmallDarkCloud likes this.
  8. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Then the next series was in 1981. Someone posted the first 25 episodes on YouTube in one video.

9. To this day I still hear the voice of J. Jonah Jameson from this series in my head when I read his dialog in the comics.

nutsfortubes, kevywevy and Hall Cat like this.
  10. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I have to go with Krantz... they also had something to do with Rocket Robin Hood which shared many of the same elements that made Spider-Man so endearing.

Danny Coffin, eddiel and Hall Cat like this.
  11. Hall Cat

I play a lot of them at my psychedelic gatherings

eddiel and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  12. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

Library music company KPM put out an album of select needle drops from the show:

Spider-Jazz (2018, Red/Blue Splatter, Vinyl)

All of these were on the music server where I used to work. The track LSD is like a highlight reel of Pink Floyd '67-'68.

13. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Trunk is the label that released the LP which features tracks from the KPM library. These tracks were available on iTune (they may still be) in two volumes.

SmallDarkCloud, RexKramer and Shawn like this.
  14. beccabear67

Jonny Trunk is a living treasure!

Simon A likes this.
  15. paste

paste Forum Resident

As a kid, definitely season 1 because it was more like the comics and didn't look as cheap, dark or weird. As I got older, I came to appreciate the later seasons for their weirdness, but sometimes the endless stock footage of Spiderman swinging over abstract clouds can get kind of old.

The music does rule, too.

16. Christobal

Christobal Forum Resident

I don't think I ever recognized any differences when I was watching this show. I was 5 or 6 and it came on at 07:00, around the time my folks were taking me to my babysitter, so I rarely got to see a complete episode.

Funny thing is, I seem to associate the Led Zeppelin song "How Many More Times" with this show. I'm a huge Zep fan, but whenever I hear that song, I envision THAT Spiderman webbing his way above the New York skyline in a continuous loop.

17. Hall Cat

I really liked the extended swinging sequences as a kid. Perhaps less so as an adult

I didn't notice them either

Shawn likes this.
  18. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

Are these the cartoons?
    Is there an artistically difference between the seasons.

19. Hall Cat

Yes, and yes: Spider-Man ’67

20. woody

woody Forum Resident

These must be public domain now. Found all three seasons on archives.org. Looking forward to revisiting them. Don’t think I’ve seen them since the 70s or early 80s.

21. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

That is wacky. I teach world history and used the Spiderman theme substituting Charlemagne. It worked

22. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

The complete series DVD set they did years ago is awesome and well done.
    I wish they would do the same for the 66 marvels.
    Picked season one "have a pumpkin bomb spiderman !"
    But I love it all.
    I wish they would officially release the 81 series and the 90's one as well.

MarkTheShark and Hall Cat like this.
  23. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Thanks so much for this !!

24. Hall Cat

I found mine in a thrift store for $4.99

ArpMoog likes this.
  25. beccabear67

It was rare to see the other early Marvel animation shows of the mid '60s. Unlike Spider-Man (and Rocket Robin Hood) they were not rerun throughout the '70s where I am. I only finally got to see some of them and hear their theme songs fairly recently thanks to the internet. I do remember watching Aquaman in a solo series often in the early '70s though.