Spider-Man: Far From Home

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BeatleJWOL, Jan 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Too true--Alfred Molina was a fantastic Otto / Ock and it really elevated the villain back up into top tier threat status. Though it leaned a little too heavily into sympathetic territory for the villain for me (I like Ock best portrayed as a ruthless bastard bad guy, but that is a harder sell in a movie).

I rewatched the whole Raimi trilogy again on Blu-Ray a year or two ago, and Dafoe stunned me all over again by how good he was as Norman.

We could have had this as how the Goblin looked in Spider-Man 1. Why did they go with the terrible unexpressive Power Ranger look instead?

(Then in ASM2, they didn't even bother masking up Harry when he became the Goblin--lazy and boring).

I like Spider-Man 3 also, though it's bloated. Definitely two movies smashed into one. They should have saved all the Venom stuff for a fourth movie (and filmed both 3 & 4 together to save costs). Incidentally, have you seen the "Editor's Cut" of Spider-Man 3? It trims some scenes and adds in some. I think it's far better than the theatrical version.

As far as Topher Grace, yeah, they were leaning too much into the "dark mirror version" of Tobey McGuire's Peter Parker by casting Grace. He's smarmy, but he wasn't a particularly convincing or intimidating Venom. I will say the very short Spidey/Venom fight in SM3 was pretty well done, considering Raimi doesn't like the villain and had to be coerced into even using him.

2. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

Unfortunately, I've seen that video before and it baffles me. I can see how they would have a different Goblin design since the comic book-styled Goblin can look a bit hokey and would be hard to pull off. The problem is...the version of Goblin they used looks way hokier. He doesn't even look like an actual goblin. Recent adaptations of the Joker character in Batman movies shows how you can make such an outlandish design work in a movie.
    Still, the movie is one of my favorite super hero origin movies. It got a LOT right. The cast was great, the effects for it's time were great and the humor was on point. The ending was done very well and really true to the character. So glad they didn't give us a Hollywood ending. I'm usually not a big fan of origin movies since I've seen the origin of those heroes already in countless cartoons, comics etc but this one was done very well.

Haven't even watched those and from what I've read I'm not missing much

Haven't seen that version actually. Will check it out, thanks!

I agree on the fight and actually liked the effects used as well. I'm gonna go on a limb here and I think it would have been better to have used Carnage instead of Venom here. The slender build, the more psychological approach, and the complete insanity would have worked better. I know that there's no Carnage without Venom but I'm sure they could have managed something. It doesn't have to be completely comic book accurate. Actually, Carnage vs Harry/Spider-Man would have been very interesting.

As for Carnage in a non-M rated movie...I'm wondering how they will pull this of in the upcoming Venom sequel. I did like the first Venom movie. It wasn't a masterpiece but it was entertaining and Brock's interactions with the symbiote were nicely done.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  3. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Considering the current pandemic, I assume they were haven't been able to start working on Spider-Man 3 and there's no planned release date yet?

4. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Production has started according to Tom Holland, the planned release date remains Dec 2021.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  5. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Yeah, they've been filming in New York since sometime last year, apparently.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  6. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Good to know, thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.