Spider-Man: Far From Home

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BeatleJWOL, Jan 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

I finally saw Spiderdude: FFS tonight. I hadn't seen any trailers or read any chatter, but I predicted what was gunna happen from the first battle scene in Venice.

I mean, the plot of "evil dude faking a battle against baddies that he created" was in the first Incredibles movie, FFS. And the second Incredibles movie was all about illusions as well, FFS.

Overall, it was enjoyable enough mix of derring-do and teen rom-com, and I loved the mind-bending scenes, although the movie seemed a bit 'off', and kinda like all involved were aiming for 'good enough' rather than 'excellent'.

Having said that, the young bloke playing Spiderdude is my fave of the various incarnations so far, and I'm keen to see where it goes now after that mid-credits scene.

--Geoff

dkmonroe and Chrome_Head like this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Will anything ever top 34-year-old Stockard Channing in "Grease"? :D

SandAndGlass and Simon A like this.
  3. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Yep. Early '80s
    The mom in the original Freaky Friday movie???

Edit:

Barbara Harris

4. Oatsdad

How is that a better representation of a much older person supposed to pass for a teen? :confused:

5. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I would happily be atop her, she looked like good hugger.

6. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Even the biggest Comic Book nerds would've never gotten all those references and Easter Eggs. Somebody from the film writing team must've passed that information along to The Hollywood Reporter.

7. Oatsdad

T.
    M.
    I!

8. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I have always thought out of the entire cast of Grease, none of them looked like high school age students.

But I don't think that anything will top 34-year old Stockard Channing playing Rizzo.

[​IMG]

However...

In the Harry Potter Movies, Moaning Myrtle was portrayed by Shirley Henderson in the film adaptations of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Being 5' 0½" (1.54 m) and 37 years old when she first played Moaning Myrtle, she is the oldest actress to play a 15 year old teenage Hogwarts student in the Harry Potter films.

[​IMG]

So I think that technically we have Stockard beat, that is if ghosts count?

The Hud likes this.
  9. Oatsdad

Not a single actual teen in the cast! Kelly Ward was 21 when the film hit, and Dinah Manoff was 22 - they were closest.

In addition to Channing, a few others were already in their 30s!

I admit I was shocked when I found out how old Henderson was.

That said, I wouldn't count Myrtle as the champion here just due to all the visual effects involved. Henderson appears in short scenes in a clearly altered visual state, so it's unfair to compare her "teenage appearance" to actors in a non-effects-driven film.

If we'd seen Henderson in flashbacks to still-alive Myrtle, then maybe, but ghost Myrtle is too effects-rendered to count![/QUOTE]

10. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

That is the reason I commented:

At the time that I saw Chamber of Secrets. I thought nothing of Moaning Myrtle.

Unlike Stockard, being a ghost, I couldn't really put an age on her and didn't think anything at the time. It was later that I read that the "fans" were up in arms about Myrtle, due to the age of the actress that played her.

As you say, being a ghost with all the CGI, she doesn't appear to be age specific, where the first time I saw Grease, the age of all of the actors stood out immediately, but when I saw Stockard...

One of the things I liked about the HP series was that they used kids who were the appropriate age of the characters that they were playing.

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And the film just hit $1 billion worldwide, so they're breaking open the champagne at Disney/Marvel. I'm actually surprised: I thought the film was good but not great and would not do quite that well, but clearly it struck a chord with audiences and people liked it.

‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’ Climbing Past $1 Billion Milestone

12. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

That sequence is one key reason why my rating of the movie is low. The movie goes through a lot of boilerplate to explain how Mysterio creates his effects and how much time it takes to input the code and get it right. But then suddenly he’s able to create elaborate effects on the fly? WTF? It destroys any internal logic of the movie.

That’s one reason I rate the movie low. The other is that I think I’ve finally reached burnout in my tolerance for 100% CGI battles in a live action film. By then end of a lot of Marvel movies these days I half heartedly get to thinking they should just make them all animated.

John K

GodShifter likes this.
  13. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

I haven't seen it yet, though it's on the cards in the next week or two.

Outside looking in, this feels like an Epilogue of sorts to Endgame and no doubt the slipstream of that movie has bolstered this one up.

Where I'm skeptical is how things go after this. The list of announced projects for the next couple of years came over a little underwhelming, and seemingly lacking in ground building around continuing established popular characters to weave a new narrative around.

No Black Panther 2? Captain Marvel 2? No Guardians 3? Thor 4 right at the end of the slate (surprised by this one, I'd assumed he'd be next seen in Guardians 3, which seemed a stroke of genius to me).

Black Widow feels really risky, it's supposedly a sequel/prequel sandwiched between Civil War and Infinity War. Maybe there'll be a supernatural component wired into the story somewhere connecting with her conclusion in Endgame - I can imagine a flashback/look to the future arc around the aftermath of her sacrifice. Can't see how it could be a Phase 4 story otherwise (a Phase 3 footnote?). If the budget's been kept lean then I think it has a chance at some Antman level income maybe. But otherwise, is there much of an audience demand for this character who we know the "Endgame" on?

The Eternals I am intrigued about, I don't know enough about this one to draw any real conclusions on.

PH416156, Vidiot and SandAndGlass like this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I feel exactly the same. And no word that I could see on Deadpool 3 or a possible Deadpool/Spiderman team-up. I'm not enthusiastic about the new MCU Phase 4 lineup, but maybe their intended audience is outside my demo.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Sorry if I’ve missed this. When the school trip is in Austria, who is the blonde SHIELD agent who asks him to take his clothes off to try on the new spider-suit?
    (My mate says “Some random European hottie..” but I reckon, knowing Marvel, it’s meant to be ‘somebody’).

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  16. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Toni Garrn

Andy Smith likes this.
  17. Andy Smith

No, sorry, I meant who is the character meant to be, not the actress’ name.

18. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Andy Smith likes this.
  19. Andy Smith

20. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Finally saw the movie.

Eh, it was a 2-star experience for me. Quite disjointed and more than a little bit forced.

TheDailyBuzzherd likes this.
  21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

That's the scariest inflatable proctologist I've ever seen! :yikes:

vinnie likes this.
  22. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Ooops, sorry :hide:

Andy Smith likes this.
  23. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

My View:

A polished turd. I really miss the old stories in which Spidey
    is involved in a lower-key old-fashioned cops'n'robbers story.

This series is too revisionist and suffers from a bad case of
    Avengers creep. I don't want Nick Fury in a Spidey film,
    gimmee JJJ. Betty Brant seems like she's 17 here and Flash
    is an uber-dick. As soon as Jake G says,

"I'm from the 8th parallel universe ..." I was OUT.

BUT they captured the villain well with the exception that
    once again, they hired an actor whose voice doesn't hold up
    for the part. Looks good until he speaks.

The best scenes? When Parker finally meets the villain for
    real. That was fun but even that drifts into "Dr Strange"
    intensity. And Mysterio wants to kill Parker? Heavy handed.
    It's a COMIC fer Pete's Sake. Lastly, the ride through the city.

I think I'm done with superhero flicks. They tried but can't
    seem to jibe the old with the new in order to sell seats.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Yeah, Sony only has 250 villains to cycle through.

Get back to basics with The Scorpion and bring back JJJ.
    My kid thinks Disney would do a far better job and she's
    probably right. But at this point, I don't care.

25. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

You lost me with this sentence, the movie has already surpassed $1 billion in revenue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.