Spider-Man: Far From Home

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BeatleJWOL, Jan 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Pretty annoying.

Even more annoying? The "Endgame" Blu-ray doesn't include the footage from the re-release. I guess they'll save it for a double-dip! :mad:

BeatleJWOL and MPLRecords like this.
  2. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I think they included the Stan Lee tribute which was part of the extra stuff. The rest was the trailer of Far From Home and the Hulk deleted scene. The Hulk deleted scene is the only thing of note not on the home release. It's not included with the deleted scene reel.

If I had to guess they are saving it for the inevitable complete collection of the infinity Saga or a collection of the 4 Avengers movies or both. In any case it's not worth buying everything again.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Thanks! I wasn't aware that the Stan Lee featurette in the Blu-ray's extras was the same thing that ran with the re-release! :tiphat:

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE Thread Starter

5. David Campbell

To be fair, I'm not 100 percent sure it's the same one that ran in the Theater, as I never went to the re-release. I'm about 90 percent sure it's the same.

6. David Campbell

I've already seen FFH twice, so I'm good until home release. I'm wondering if it's now going to be a normal thing for MCU movies going forward.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  7. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The reverse is happening - SONY is taking Spider-Man back and won't be playing ball with Disney/Marvel (MCU).

8. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

9. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Does Tom Holland owe any more movies from his current contract and if so, was it signed with Sony or Marvel?

10. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Yeah I found out earlier ... from my kid.
    I really thought Disney would do better,
    and in some calls, it did. But I dunno at
    this point. It's kinda going the way of
    Bond flicks, as in, they can't make the
    magic no mo'.

11. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

I swear Sony’s been pissing me off for most of their existence. I wish Disney would buy Sony Pictures and put an end to their BS.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  12. David Campbell

Apparently negotiations are still ongoing,but as of right now they are at an impasse and neither wants to blink.

I wonder what this means for the current Spider-Man movie series. It's so intrinsically tied in with the MCU,it's going to be really tough to go forward without that tie. Technically they can pretend the bigger MCU doesn't exist and do a third film that only obliquely reference Homecoming and Far From Home, but it'll be a tight rope walk. For Marvel,they just arguably lost one of the biggest marque names for a possible Avengers 5 if it turns out they can't even use Spider-Man even in that capacity. Yeah they Have Black Panther and Captain Marvel,but Spidey is and always has been Marvel's mascot and biggest Solo character. To not be able to use him when they have access to every other character is a big blow, especially since they just wrote out Iron Man and Captain America.

Also most importantly,is this it for Tom Holland? If his contract was with Marvel,then I could see Sony just recasting again than buying out his contract And if they recast they'll reboot again,which I think will be a HUGE mistake. If it's with Sony,his Spidey is so linked with the MCU,they may still decide to move on as to send a message to the movie going audience that it's once again Sony's Spider-Man. I think Holland has one more Spider-Man film in his contract. They could do another film to close out the series and then promptly move on like they did from Toby McGuire to Andrew Garfield or they could just simply put Holland in something else,or even have his Spidey appear in a Spiderverse sequel to finish it up.

I for one didn't see this coming. If FFH didn't meet expectations,I could see Sony taking their toys and going home,but if ain't broke, don't fix it. Marvel and Sony had a good thing going,and they freaking blew it.

I can't imagine that they won't eventually work out a new deal ultimately with slightly altered terms. If they don't ,then it's not good news for either Sony or Marvel. I'd say a bit worse for Marvel though. They were obviously setting up Peter/Spidey as the new core character of the larger Marvel franchise in the same way Iron Man was until Endgame. I imagine some of Feige's fabled five year out plan is undergoing some major overhauls in spots behind the scenes.

Sony does have Spider-verse and Venom which are big hits and viable franchises on their own,and they don't yet have a connected universe that relies on Peter Parker. They can rest Peter a bit and then recast, or they can go the Miles Morales route and build him up as the focus of a Spidey live action connected universe. So Sony technically is in a stronger position.

However,Holland and this incarnation of Peter is popular among the audience. Both films just made over 2 billion combined after all. That's Star Wars level money. If Sony sidelines that version of Spidey or are perceived by the same audience as the reason that version is being prematurely ended ,does it automatically put you at a disadvantage once you turn around and say " hey everyone, here's the new Spidey! Love him!" Will audiences turn out for a new Peter Parker or a Peter Parker-less,MCU less Spider-Man live action film or will they reject it? In short ,can they keep Spidey a Billion dollar per film grossing franchise without the secret sauce that put them over the top?

Interesting times.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  13. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  14. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

15. Chrome_Head

A bit more detail on this over at the Hollywood Reporter--apparently Disney and Sony have struck a deal for both one more film in the Spidey series over in the MCU, plus one more appearance in an undisclosed Disney / Marvel MCU movie. So we may be back to square one with both companies fighting over the character again, after all of that, several years from now.

"I am thrilled that Spidey’s journey in the MCU will continue, and I and all of us at Marvel Studios are very excited that we get to keep working on it,” said Marvel topper Kevin Feige. "Spider-Man is a powerful icon and hero whose story crosses all ages and audiences around the globe. He also happens to be the only hero with the superpower to cross cinematic universes, so as Sony continues to develop their own Spidey-verse you never know what surprises the future might hold.”

Also as part of the arrangement, Spider-Man will appear in a future Marvel movie.

'Spider-Man' Shocker: Disney, Sony Striking a Deal for One More Movie

Vidiot and SandAndGlass like this.
  16. David Campbell

This is good news. Now they can give this current cycle of Spider-Man movies a proper ending.

I imagine the "other" Marvel movie will likely be Avengers 5,in whatever form it takes.

Once Holland completes the next two appearances,he will have played Spider-Man in 7 films. That's a pretty long run.

17. Drew

Drew Senior Member

The dollar signs have spoken.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Very glad to hear that Sony and Disney/Marvel worked out their greedy, ego-driven differences to unite on more adventures with the Webbed Warrior. More details:

Sony & Disney Make Peace On Third ‘Spider-Man’ Movie: How Deal Came Together – Deadline

Spider-Man Will Stay in the Marvel Cinematic Universe

'Spider-Man' Shocker: Disney, Sony Striking a Deal for One More Movie

One interesting quote from the Deadline piece:

"Despite the hard-balling, we understand Disney came back to the table after D23 when they read the fanboy crowd on how upset they were over a possible rift in the Spider-Man universe."

Short explanation: Disney wanted to finance the next movie 50% and get 50% of the box office. Sony said no, and the compromise is Disney gets to finance the new Spiderman film 25% and get 25% of the box office gross. I think that's reasonable.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    Chrome_Head likes this.
  19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Generally, the stems for all multitrack mixes come from the same mix engineer in the same room. They just flip a switch and render Atmos files, or they flip a switch and render DTS files. There's no inherent difference in level. It could well be an authoring problem, but I've been in the room during mixes like this and nobody changes level or balances. What does happen is they have to combine channels and then monitor them to make sure that nothing important is lost in the mix.

SandAndGlass and Chrome_Head like this.
  20. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Watched the movie with the DTS 7.1 track upmixed with Neural X.
    Pretty damn good use of the top speakers. I was impressed!

The movie? Not that great. 6/10

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Yeah, I also gave it a 6/10. Not bad enough to walk out of but bad enough that I have no desire to see the extended edition.

GodShifter, SandAndGlass and budwhite like this.
  22. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

Not a popular opinion but what a shame. I get that Spidey in the MCU makes money but I dislike the way the character is written as Iron Boy jr. Both his solo movies had enemies that held a grudge against Tony, his over use of gadgets in HC was very distracting and while Far From Home was a lot better, it was mainly interesting due to Mysterio. There's also a lack of a personal angle in the movies which the Raimi films did a lot better with perhaps the closest moment to that being Spidey having to save his classmates in HC.

Simon A likes this.
  23. Chrome_Head

All good and valid points that I agree with. Was just watching again the first film Homecoming on cable a few weeks back, and they're just such fun movies I'm willing to overlook stuff how Peter is made to be Iron Boy. Feige has acknowledged some of these issues, indirectly at least, and seems open to refining them going forward.

David Campbell likes this.
  24. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Disney has a reputation for crappy Atmos mixes. They are jokingly referred to as "AtMouse".

25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I think, if they are going to do just one more together, it should all be about a battle between the two sets of characters the two studios have under their own licenses. And it's obvious Disney has the most powerful characters, so the writers should have to agree to plot it according to the audiences' focus group judgements about whom they want to see triumph. That way you have a sure-fire winner no matter who gets the bragging rights.

Marvel-meta-tastic!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.