Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Hud, Dec 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild Thread Starter

I saw this last night, and it is wonderful. Great story, and there are several parts where the animation looks so good it looks like live action.

I saw it in Dolby Cinema, which made it even better. I highly recommend Dolby Cinema if you have it in your area.

There isn't a mid-credits scene, but the post-credits scene is funny and worth waiting for, IMO.

2. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I saw it too and agree, it is great. It was an engaging update of the whole Spider-Man mythos, and it had a good story and great kinetic energy.

The Hud likes this.
  3. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Easily in my top three of superhero films.

The Hud likes this.
  4. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild Thread Starter

Same here. I can't wait to add the Blu-ray to my collection.

5. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

The post-credit sequence made me laugh harder than I've laughed at the movies in years.

The Hud likes this.
  6. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

I wanted to love this, and I did really enjoy it...but...

...I found the way they offset the red, green and blue channels in the background elements to suggest depth kind of off-putting, to the extent that I stepped out of the screening for a moment to ask the front-of-house if they hadn't displayed the 3D version by mistake.

"Yeah, we get that question a lot" he said.

GodShifter and SBurke like this.
  7. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

I loved it. It was my first 3D Imax (non-documentary) film.

It's my favorite post-credit sequence, for sure!

Slightly off-topic, but I'm currently reading "Batman '66" (via ComiXology) and some of the backgrounds have that same look. I initially thought I had downloaded a 3D version.

8. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

This may have been the best Spiderman film I've ever seen.

Could have done without the pig though.

9. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Best one since 2 (which I thought might be the best superhero movie there was). I liked the pig, and the noir. They weren't there too much and provided the best jokes.

I'm afraid to say much more without giving spoilers.

10. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Really surprised there aren't more comments for this movie. Just saw it this week and was completely knocked out by it. Really adventurous and daring animation especially for such a high profile movie coming from a major studio. Kudos to all involved for giving the creative team such room to make a visually stunning movie (and the story was also excellent). I appreciate that they didn't rely on a huge cast of big name actors to voice the characters as well. I'm hoping its Golden Globe win carries over to the Academy Awards.

Greg Gee and Chris DeVoe like this.
  11. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

[​IMG]

Simon A, The Hud and Chris DeVoe like this.
  12. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I saw this last night and enjoyed it, but didn't love it as much as everyone I've talked to and everything I've read. I don't have many specific complaints, it just didn't blow me away as much as it seems to have for a lot of other people. That being said, I did still enjoy it and appreciated its smart, vibrant, and fun take on a superhero who has been adapted over and over again. It also dodged potential pitfalls that plague both superhero movies and animation by managing to deliver on action and excitement without feeling empty. My only real complaint is that some of the humor fell flat for me (namely the pig), but that was offset by a lot of humor that I did enjoy. Plus, that's more of a personal complaint anyway. Overall, I thought Into the Spiderverse was a great and original take on Spider-Man that I'm glad I saw and hope I come to enjoy even more with subsequent viewings.

Chris DeVoe, SBurke and kouzie like this.
  13. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

This was a very good film, driven by a refreshing take on a good story and extraordinary animation, marred however IMO by the unfortunate decision to try to recreate a comic-book feel by leaving roughly half of every frame pixelated and out of focus. That's a legitimate artistic decision though and something I could get over. Unfortunately I saw this quite literally the worst movie audience I've ever been a part of, with rampant cell-phone use (including texts, flashlights, and flashing ringers), plus good (meaning bad) old-fashioned talking. All from the adults, not the kids. It was a complete disgrace and ruined the film for me -- I left actually bummed out that my first time viewing a very good film was ruined -- I'll want to see it again but unfortunately when I do I'll be my own spoiler. :(

14. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I loved almost all of it except for the final fight. Man, was that over busy and hard to follow. For me it was a case where there was so much happening that your brain just shuts off. My wife had the same feeling.

John K

15. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Saw it a while back and I absolutely loved it. I may do a full review when it comes out on DVD/Blu Ray.

16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

There were parts of it that almost made me sick due to the graphics/color/motion. That said, an interesting idea on the old icon. Nobody liked Peter Porker, huh? Yeah, I didn’t, either, but Spider Man Noir was not a favorite as well.

Good movie and my kids enjoyed it which is the most important aspect of all.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  17. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

What theater was this?

I ask because I saw the film in Chicago, in a cheap theater in a poor neighborhood, and everyone was perfectly well-behaved.

Of course we Chicagoans are world-famous for our polite and self-effacing nature.

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

19. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I enjoyed how basically the 'senior/original' Spiderman was the Tobey Maguire version! I was ok with the 'spider-team'. Six armed Spidey, Scarlet Spider, original black(Venom) Spidey, Iron Spidey, 2099, etc. woulda been fun to see, maybe in the next one!;)

20. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

"Hey..."

MikaelaArsenault and Chris DeVoe like this.
  21. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Cherry Hill, NJ, of all places, a multiplex I used to like. :shrug:

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  22. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

It not only was the best Spiderman movie yet... it may have been the best movie I've seen at the theater this (last) year.

I acknowledge the offset colors were... different. But not entirely offputting.

But to take a tired, often told story and present it in an original and exciting way was refreshing.

I liked it enough that i'm looking forward to seeing it again.

23. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Loved it.

Colors were amazing.

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Wow, finally had a chance to see it last night and we absolutely loved it. This might be the best animated film I've seen in the past 10 years, just a huge surprise on what a different take could be done on the classic Spiderman story. Terrific writing, great voice performances (how about Lily Tomlin as "Aunt May" and Liev Schreiber as "Kingpin"? :eek:), amazing use of color. I did think the sound mix was too dynamic, and this is another case where the dialogue scenes were way down here and the big explosive action scenes & music were WAY UP HERE, which is not the way to mix a movie for home video. But still enjoyable.

You gotta wonder: if Phil Lord and Christopher Miller could do an animated movie this good, with this much drama, emotion, action, and laughs, what would their original take on Solo: A Star Wars Story have been like?

25. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

That was my EXACT comment coming out of the theater as well. So far, those the Lord Miller batting average is extremely high. At this point, I'll pretty much follow blindly where they're heading.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.