Spin Clean for Life

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 2xUeL, May 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wbass

wbass Forum Resident

That's good to know. The Record Friend seems very similar to the Spin Clean, and also has those rubber rings in the rollers, but possibly the SC, being more expensive, is better made and doesn't grind the LP edges. Sounds like that's the case. Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I'm likely adding at SC to my regimen at some point.

MikeInFla likes this.
  2. Soopahmahn

Soopahmahn Well-Known Member

I bought a 21" ViewSonic from ABT when I lived in Evanston, and frequented Audio Consultants. :)
    Bought my Rotel power amp there and almost splurged on a set of Thiel floorstanders. I often check their used gear section.

3. weaselriot

weaselriot Forum Resident

Their used gear section can turn up some good deals. Some of the gear in my profile is from their used section. I cop a peek anytime I'm in there. One never knows there might be a nice tube McIntosh preamp one fine day. And their stuff comes with a warranty. I've loved the place ever since I first went in there after getting my driver's license in September 1969, after hearing about them from a friend (his dad had a Rotel receiver).

I bought a pair of ADS L810 monitors there in 1976. Great speakers, obviously. Some years later I went in thinking to upgrade speakers. They said "no, keep what you have". Every few years later, same thing. Eventually it got to the point where just my walking in would trigger a bunch of voices "NO!", like everybody always saying "NORM!!" when he walked into Cheers. but in 2001 I decided to go 5.1, so they told me now I had to change because they wouldn't be able to match the 810s with another for the center channel. So I went with B&W LCR6 S2, but I got more trading in the 810s than I paid in 1976, though 2001 dollars are not nearly the same as 1976 dollars.

With all of my favorite record stores and camera shops of the past long, it's comforting to still have one remaining sanctuary. Simon, the guy who opened the store originally in 1967, is still there every time I go, and frequently answers the phone as recently as last week. We still have Music Direct here in Chicago (far north side) also, but I mostly get audiophile vinyl and SACDs there, rather than gear. Not that there's anything wrong with their gear either. All of that and Abt too (just used them for new kitchen appliances, but also a nice LG OLED display). But the other old giants are gone: Allied Radio (main warehouse on Western, gawd, their catalog), Polk Brothers, Columbia Audio-Video, Musicraft, and so on. All long gone distant memories, just like the great unique record stores (Rose, Laurie's, Flip Side, Crow's Nest, Rolling Stone/Rock Records) driven out by the big national chains.

LinnsondekLP, Soopahmahn and Gumboo like this.
  4. That happened to me a few times. All you need to do is fill the water a tad over the recommended line until it doesn’t happen anymore.

Cheers,

Bill

superstar19, mikeyt and CBackley like this.
  5. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I have the KAV-EV1 KAB Electro Acoustics http://www.kabusa.com
    why also I need the Spin Cleaning? I see some people that use both.
    but I don't like the idea of trap my records on that Spin Clean pads! I feel that push the dirt to the pads, like a sandwich.
    I prefer use my own pads or brushes with the KAV.

hi_watt likes this.
  6. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses?

Few years late to the party here, but I figured I would chime in. Just got my spin clean, cleaned a test album that was full of crackles and pops and I figured I would have to replace anyway, and, well, now I don't have to replace it. It is really quite amazingly quiet. I had tried to clean it in the sink, but at least in comparison to the sink, the spin clean rox! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.