Spin Clean for Life

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 2xUeL, May 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. renderj

renderj Forum Resident

I bought a Spin Clean about 5 years ago and sold my Nitty Gritty machine about a year later. Have not regretted it.

2. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

How snug do y’all’s pads hug the LP? I only get resistance on 180-200g LPs, but it doesn’t seem like that is how it should be.

3. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Good question. I notice that too on mine.

4. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

As has been stated above, the Spin Clean fluid contains a flocculant- a substance that promotes the clumping of particles- that helps the debris settle to the bottom of the tank.

To be sure, the degree to which this helps keep the cleaning solution clean is where most criticism of the Spin Clean focuses. It seems possible that some stuff that gets onto records could simply dissolve into the water. Then there is the issue of how spinning the record through the fluid stirs it up and moves the debris off the bottom of the tank.

I use a Spin Clean and like it a lot; won't be getting anything else any time soon. But I think there is some merit to these criticisms and drawbacks. So I bought a 2nd Spin Clean when the replicas of the retro brown ones went on sale a couple years back, and use that one for my "rinse" cycle, filled with distilled water but no cleaning solution. I also change out the cleaning fluid a lot more often than the directions suggest, every 15 records or so.

5. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I usually only do 10 or so at a time myself

Wounded Land likes this.
  6. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I have a Spin Clean and a VPI 17. In my experience, the VPI does a much better job. :)

7. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your opinion.

8. 2xUeL

I wouldn't use anything but the cloths they came with. The manual even said to make sure you dry them in the dryer so they get fluffier so they can get into the groove more. I think the wiping of the record plays a key role.

lesterbangs likes this.
  9. 2xUeL

That's really good point. Lighter weight LPs don't seem to brush the fibers as much as heavier weight LPs. I was worried about that, but, once again, the thing came through and it sounded like it still did a good job of cleaning the thinner LPs. (I collect a lot of vintage jazz though and those LPs are usually thicker so this isn't as much of a concern for me.) I do from time to time lodge a small piece of paper in the tiny space between the frame and the top of the brush to kind of force the brush to hug the LP a little tighter (at the top at least). I do wish they maybe made different thicknesses of brushes?

10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I would use almost anything but those crappy cloths.

I’m exaggerating, of course, but the first thing I did was throw those things away. I use good quality microfiber towels.

2xUeL likes this.
  11. 2xUeL

Okay, I think I know what you're talking about, sure, I should get some of those. Link by chance?

12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I think there is resistance on thinner vinyl too, but it’s just a lot less. But I don’t thing the level of resistance is a good measure of cleaning effectiveness. As long as the fibers get to the bottom of the grooves that’s all that matters, IMO.

Optimize and 2xUeL like this.
  13. I’ve found microfiber doesn’t absorb water very well though. And I’d only recommend using optical grade microfiber for wiping an album.

14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Bought dozens of them years ago. Sorry, I don’t recall where.

I would think a place like Griot’s Garage - which specializes in car care products might have something. But they’re a speciality shop, so they’d be expensive.

15. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

OP, have you tried your technique of playing and then a second cleaning on a VPI? I suspect that the great results would happen no matter what RCM was used.

The technique makes sense to me. I'll have to try it with particularly poor sounding records that I just assumed would never sound better than they do after one cleaning.

2xUeL likes this.
  16. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I did the exact same thing - bought the brown one when it was available at the "nice price" and use it for a rinse. Distilled water and no cleaning fluid. Sometimes the SC would leave my records crackly for the first play only - then crackles would be gone. The extra rinse step eliminates that. I have to say though, I have not had the "spin clean crackles" for at least my last 1/2 dozen batches. I didn't change anything in my process, but I have been using the new MK3 cleaning fluid. I find it less "soapy."

17. 2xUeL

I have not, and it makes sense that it would work with any machine! :D

18. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

My method was always Spin Clean > Nitty Gritty... It worked so well. I basically used the Nitty Gritty to remove all of the fluid before it had a chance to dry in the grooves. The only thing I needed was an old t-shirt or towel to dry the outer edges of the records, which usually had a few drops left that the Nitty Gritty couldn't reach.

Even with standard/manual drying, the Spin Clean is an insanely good value and does a fantastic job. I'd put its results up against a VPI any day of the week.

19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

They work fine for me. I use one to dry the wet LP and then a quick swipe with a 2nd one to get the record completely dry. Never once has this not worked like a charm.

I also don’t use optical grade microfiber - and not only feel this is total overkill but probably also explains why you find microfiber doesn’t absorb water very well...

2xUeL likes this.
  20. johnnypaddock

For a given batch, I would usually start with the thinnest records and progress towards the 180/200g size. I figured that would keep the pads from being compressed too much by the heavyweight LP's prior to cleaning the light ones.

21. marcb

marcb Senior Member

No offense, but I think you’re overthinking it. IMO it’s basically either all or nothing - and besides those brushes have quite a bit of rebound to them.

But there’s no harm to your method either and if it increases your comfort level, have at it.

2xUeL likes this.
  22. Yeah, I might have tried it with a batch that were more resistant to absorbing. But the optical grade clothes are cheap so no worries.

23. johnnypaddock

None taken! I'm 99% positive that my method had no actual effect on the outcome. Just felt like sharing.

marcb, aoxomoxoa and 2xUeL like this.
  24. I'm also all in on the Spin Clean.

One can do about 20 moderately dirty LPs before the water-formula solution is overwhelmed. The flocculentx do keep prior elements off most of the records. As long as you use distilled water and rinse with distilled water it will stay clean for years.

After some experimentation, dropping the brushes in mildly heated distilled water cleans and re-expands the brushes. If there's still some concern with thin LPs, simply pinch the brushes as you rotate. It is not difficult.

This process has reinvigorated 50+ years-old LPs.

It may not be as foolproof as a $3,000 ultrasonic cleaning. But for those of us on a realistic budget, the Spin Clean is well worth the money.

Cheers to the Spin Clean!

Bill

25. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I found that shims made from plastic milk jugs also bring the brushes out for thinner LPs.

I really would like to have a second Spin Clean so that I can use it as a rinse. Does anyone else have a rinse technique that doesn’t include a second Spin Clean?

marcb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.