Spin Clean for Life

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 2xUeL, May 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott McBride

Scott McBride Forum Resident

I'm getting very good results using the Spin Clean. However, I have a question I don't think I've seen asked in this thread...
    The (very) bottom of my basin is looking kinda nasty. There is a film/scum/residue that just doesn't seem to wash away when I rinse out the basin after a cleaning session. It's a tight space, so it's not like I'm gonna get a dry towel all the way in there w/ my hand. Perhaps some kind of long brush? Any solutions out there? It seems to me that leaving it 'as is' may not have a big negative effect, but I gotta think it could be mucking up my next bath a little...sorta like putting on dirty clothes after a shower. I would just like to get it all 100% clean before beginning a new session.

superstar19 likes this.
  2. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

I just noticed the same thing this past weekend. I was wondering if it was because I had left the water sitting for a couple of days recently. I usually always empty and clean the bin right away, but a couple of times over the last few months I had to split my cleaning sessions.

3. I found just bunching up a couple of wet paper towels and getting it them there, and using a tooth brush for the corners takes care of it.

Freebird, superstar19 and aoxomoxoa like this.
  4. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

I've used the Knosti in the past, it looks very similar and got very good results, current price £42. However I did use an alternative fluid but mainly because it was cheaper.

Method spin in the cleaner fluid, rinse in ionised water and dry with microfiber cloth.

Some of the lps appeared as though they'd seen parties with lots of beer spilt on them.

On one occasion the partner had cleaned the lps with Pledge polish:yikes:

5. Johan Bos

Johan Bos Forum Resident

Hi, sorry if these questions have been posted before in case I missed them in this interesting topic. I own a spin-clean too and I like the simple mechanism. I think here in Europe it is rather expensive (100 euros) but I like it and I didn't like the idea of washing the vinyl by hand.

I have a few questions problems:

1. the black colored wheels tend to move upwards depending on the turning direction of the record. Any ideas how to solve this?
    2. oftentimes I want to wash just one record - I was all my records, even new ones. This week I bought the fantastic Kraftwerk Autobahn re-issue and I always love to wash the record. But I use about 0,7 liter of destilled water and 1 cup of the expensive SC cleaning fluid. After that I throw away the water when cleaning the SC. Is it ok to just store it in a bottle and re-use it a few weeks later? Or does the soap deteriorate?
    3. even when washing new records that look perfectly clean there are small black 'threads' - about 2 mm length - to be found at the bottom of the tank together with very small dark colored particles. I'm just wondering if the thread-like tings come off the brushes? Or is it from the record? Just curious!

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  6. I have found that any wheel-turning issues are quickly solved by putting in a little more distilled water than recommended, just a tad or so above the ridged line. The wheels tend to roll more smoothly, catch less, and remain consistent.

Happy cleaning,

Bill

Optimize, Gie663, johnny q and 4 others like this.
  7. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Yes, same works for me. I think I got the tip earlier on this thread or another thread on this forum.

tmtomh and rl1856 like this.
  8. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I think the “threads” are off the edge of new records

2xUeL likes this.
  9. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

I've just ordered a Spin Clean, is de-ionised water ok to use?

10. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

One time I filled the sink with tap water and added a few drops of detergent. I then just dropped a record in and lightly scrubbed it with a sponge. After the sponge bath I rinsed it off with a spray bottle of distilled water.

I used the cloths provided with the Spin Clean to absorb excess water and let air dry in an dish rack.

Result:

A clean record that prior to cleaning had dust, mildew, and oily fingerprints on it.

No label damage and played beautifully.

Also, I’d recommend the Spin Clean. Does anyone have a recipe for the flocculating fluid?

11. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

I have found that often there is debris or gunk on the axis the wheel rotates on and that wiping it off will prevent dislodging of the wheel as it turns.

12. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

+1 for spin clean, I have one & it's fantastic

I only do about 10-15 LP's per batch though, to keep the water from getting too dirty

& use a shop vac to clean the lint etc off the brushes after they've dried

aoxomoxoa and 2xUeL like this.
  13. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher Thread Starter

Do you mean one cap full of fluid? One cup sounds like an excessive amount...?

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  14. skyjelly

skyjelly Forum Resident

I've been using Spin Clean for a month now. I also purchased a Studebaker to use as a rinse basin since it was only $33 dollars on their website. I'm very happy with the results I'm getting. If you are looking for a cheaper alternative to a second Spin Clean to use for rinsing, then I'd recommend going with a Studebaker. There are a couple of things to be aware of. The first is that the Studebaker has no rubber footings on the underside, so you need to either get stick-on footings, or rubber-mesh shelf liner to set it on in order to keep it in place (We just re-lined our kitchen cabinets, so I had some extra liner and it works like a charm). The other thing is that the quality of the brushes, both in mesh and padding, are not as good as Spin Clean brushes. For rinsing, this is minor. Also, Studebaker does not sell replacement brushes (that I could find) but Spin Clean uses the same molding design, so Spin Clean brushes do fit in a Studebaker.​

15. mrlefty

mrlefty Forum Resident

wvsteveo likes this.
  16. ashiya

ashiya Forum Resident

I could never afford a vacuum so got a Spin Clean. The results were mixed although excellent for removing surface dust. However, when playing a record afterwards , i would often end up with white fluff on the stylus. This it turned out was because Spin Clean instruct you to wipe the records dry with their cloths. I then stopped using the cloths but added a rinse with much improved results - the fluff was gone.

Since then, i ended up acquiring 2 more used spin cleans as this was cheaper than buying spare brushes or rollers. Now I start with a rinse for extremely dusty records, then a bath with the spin clean fluid and this is followed by a distilled water rinse in the third bath. Results were very good.

However, I was still intrigued by vacuum machines as I thought they might get rid of stubborn clicks and pops and managed to get a cheap used one, but anything that has already been cleaned with the three step spin clean method shows very little or zero improvement with a vacuum. Where stubborn clicks/pops remain I conclude the record must be damaged. Of course, vacuuming away any water probably ensures less residue and speeds up the drying.

H8SLKC and jbc777300 like this.
  17. aoxomoxoa

Do you use any cloths to dry? Or all air dry?

jbc777300 likes this.
  18. ashiya

ashiya Forum Resident

No, it's air dry only. However, if I'm impateint and most of the record is dry but one or two drops of water remain, i'll very lightly dab just the drop with a mibrofibre cloth to speed up the drying.

H8SLKC likes this.
  19. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

I take mine outside and spray it down wit high pressure garden hose. Scum comes right out.

Freebird and aoxomoxoa like this.
  20. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Kitchen paper towels (do not wipe, just rest them on the lps) and let evaporation do the rest (10' in my experience, or else airborne dust will start to deposit on the record) and back to the sleeves. T-shirts have a lot of lint and cotton fabric.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  21. ashiya

ashiya Forum Resident

To add to my earlier post, I dry them vertically on a bamboo dish drainer. If i do say 15 records, by the time I've finished the last one, the first one is nealry ready but may have one or two drops of remaining water so that's when I'll give it the lightest dab, maybe a blast of hair dryer on cool setting too. But I find spin-cleaned records attract hardly any dust, whereas any kind of material contact does usually leave bits behind.

22. aoxomoxoa

Well I’ve been having a lint problem after cleaning using cotton T shirts so I will try this next time

ashiya likes this.
  23. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  24. aoxomoxoa

25. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Make sure they say the towels are advertised as lint free and even then I washed mine and line dried before using. Read the reviews to see if anyone complains they are not lint free. Don't use fabric softner if you wash them as it will leave a film that can get on your LP's/.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.