Spin Clean's cloth leaving lint

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Positively Vinyl, Apr 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Optimize

Optimize Forum Resident

Yes the one I use has 99.5% alkohol.:goodie:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Big Blue likes this.
  2. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Whoa, that’s a strong brew! Better drink responsibly with that one!

Optimize likes this.
  3. Optimize

Optimize Forum Resident

Yes it is :cheers:

Isopropanol med en renhet på 99,5 %

• [​IMG]

Big Blue likes this.
  4. marcb

marcb Senior Member

As I written in other simlar threads, the Spin Clean cloths are cheap crap. I threw them away immediately. Just get some decent small absorbent microfiber towels from amazon or wherever - problem solved.

classicrocker likes this.
  5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Supercloth is not microfiber.

johnny q likes this.
  6. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

A dish drainer makes for a fine dryer.

Jam757 and marcb like this.
  7. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I have an Audio Desk ultrasonic cleaner. Some records – especially thinner ones – sometimes come out with random drops of water left on the record. I use the Spin Clean cloths to wipe them off. I have no problems. When I wash them I do so on a delicate cycle with double rinse and use the dryer to dry them (but without an anti-cling sheet).

Big Blue likes this.
  8. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Strange, I've had no problems at all with Spin Clean cloths leaving lint. I wash them every now and then, in the washer, with nothing else - just a small load, delicate cycle, cold water. I air dry them on a rack.

Jam757 and Big Blue like this.
  9. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I use a wire file holder, where I let them air out post-cloth drying, until I am ready to either play them or put them away once a batch is done. I think it would be OK to just air dry and not cloth dry, probably, but I may want to do a distilled water rinse if I was going to do that (some people do that already, anyway).

10. Optimize

Optimize Forum Resident

"supercloth"
    1. [​IMG]
    I do not care what we call it. :hugs:
    The bottom line is as seen printed on the super cloth itself that it contains "polyurethane" :kilroy:

Some use home brew cleaning solutions. There some of them contains/use IPA (isopropanol) :bdance:

And it is very good to know that isopropanol dissolve polyurethane .. the result is that you destroy the microfiber cloth or the supercloth.
    So we do not use these types of clothes to wipe off isopropanol content. Also in the end we chemical melt down the polyurethane and put it into the groves..:buttkick:

I have done that mistake. And noticed that my stylus dig out som "gunc" out of the grove on my new washed record.. ..and after some research I found that it were this chemical incompatible mess I have created.. :sweating:

Polyurethane - Chemical Resistance

11. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

OK, today I’m getting the lint. Not end of the world, since It brushes off, but it’s time to figure out my alternative...

12. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

That’s what I use, works perfectly for four records.

13. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Agreed and same method except I use my dryer. Never had an issue with lint or crackle. They are fantastic towels, perfect really.

14. boyhitscar

boyhitscar Well-Known Member

i use flour sacks, they’re non-lint

15. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I use a steel bristle deck brush, some Ajax, and my 7800 psi pressure washer for the really dirty ones.

16. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Be careful. Just like Eddie Van Halen, when he told Guitar Player magazine he variac'd his Marshall amps up to 100 Gazzilion Volts - people WILL try this :);)

But yeah - never underestimate the power of a good steel brush and Ajax...................

Jam757 likes this.
  17. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

As an update to my earlier post, the two cloths that came with my unit didn't produce lint, but when I ordered some extra cloths, for some reason those did leave bits of lint. Washing them again didn't help, but going over them with a lint roller seemed to help somewhat. That said, I have found that microfiber cloths do not leave lint. However, the SP cloths are actually a bit more absorbent than the microfiber cloths that I've tried.

Big Blue likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.