Spine chillers : songs that give you the creeps

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by speedracer, Jul 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

Yep. Sutherland Brothers and Quiver trying to replace a departed Bruce Thomas with bass player from Ace, I think. They ended up getting somebody else. :thumbsup: (if i'm way off/incorrect here, my apologies)

fr in sc likes this.
  2. Joseph Sipocz

Joseph Sipocz Forum Resident

Pink Floyd's Careful With that Axe, Eugene is pretty atmospheric and builds to a spooky release. I'm pretty sure you can completely deeply freak trick or treaters with that one. Richard Thompson's Hope You Like the New Me is chilling and effective in conveying the horror of obsessive fandom. CCR's Effigy comes across when you consider its Vietnam era context. Pretty much the whole Black Sabbath first album brings the evil vibe.

CliffL likes this.
  3. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

My first thought was of Dickey Lee's "Laurie (Strange Things Happen") which was a Top 20 hit in 1965.

It's hokey and the lyric is a bit labored in spots, but it works because of its haunting chord progression and his matter-of-fact delivery. The second-to-last verse (where the grieving dad talks to him) is chill-inducing.

4. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

This one is completely intentional. But that guy gnashing away in the background gets to my soul....

[When I was 5 listening to I Am The Walrus when my parents weren't home, I found the fade quite unnerving with the zombie-like chorus "HoHoHo, HeeHeeHee, HaHaHa", talking about "what is he dead?", and the panning from side to side... :eek: But now I think it's just brilliant!]

Odradek, Vic_1957, speedracer and 3 others like this.
  5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Glad somebody brought up "A Day In The Life" (yeah, as if somebody wouldn't)...seeing The Band I Grew Up Loving grow beards and start dressing creepy, confused me at that young age. Then hearing they were into "druuuggggs, maaaaaannn!", was a tough thing to accept at my tender age. But familiarity got me over it eventually.

The only two pieces I found sufficiently creepy for this thread are:
    Wendy Carlos' "Winter" movement from her Sonic Seasonings album, when her fake wolf-howl comes in (oddly, "Wolf Eyes" by the Paul Winter Consort, is one of my favorites).
    The last half of Zero 7's Yeah Ghost album, which I always assumed was a deliberate attempt to break their contract or something, it was so off-putting for an act that was so accessible up to that point. Really felt like they were intentionally burning bridges.

speedracer and 1983 like this.
  6. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

O, Superman by Laurie Anderson; perfect for that cold-war era: a vast emptiness and 'here come the planes'...

7. souldeep69

souldeep69 Forum Resident

"Maxwell's Silver Hammer" by The Beatles scared the hell out of me. I was just a little kid, and it was about a young student killing teachers and other people by bashing their heads in with a hammer. It was the most horrible thing I ever heard of, and it upset me very much.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  8. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

First time I heard this.

Ingres3225 likes this.
  9. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

"Halloween II" is my pick - that weird rhythm has always reminded me of, like, dancing skeletons.

The 'Fits version, of course. The Samhain take just makes me want to bang my head.

10. buzzzx

buzzzx Forum Resident

11. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

White Noise "My Game Of Loving":

Agreed that the album has more obvious candidates ("Blackmass: An Electric Storm In Hell" anyone?) but this positively reminds me of certain scenes in 1973 movie "The Legend Of Hell House". More unsettling and disturbing than erotic and sexy.

12. barryalan

barryalan Cat in Space

"Karen" by Half Japanese

"The man who calls and doesn't say nothing
    Has called again and doesn't say nothing...
    Get out of the house Karen
    Karen go home
    Get out of the house Karen
    Take the baby and go..." :whistle:

13. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Somewhere between the bad dream of Cry Baby Cry and the nightmare of Revoluten#9, this track fits perfectly.... The Beatles at their bleakest.

JDeanB, cgoodwin22, Zongadude and 5 others like this.
  14. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Thunder Road

Backstreets

Born to Run

Jungleland

speedracer likes this.
  15. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

that gave me the creeps. until i stopped it. well played.

16. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

Bobby Beausoleil's soundtrack to Lucifer Rising really gives me the creeps.

unclefred, Bruso and speedracer like this.
  17. Twelvepitch

Twelvepitch Musician and analog enthusiast

When I played this backwards on my turntable, I heard a garbled "Help me! Oh god help me!" No kidding. I can show it for proof.

18. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

PJ Harvey / “Taut”

Bruso and speedracer like this.
  19. Spastica

Spastica Run aground on the floor for you....

Lisa Germano - A Psychopath

BlueTrane, DTK and souldeep69 like this.
  20. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

Although I love this song, I must admit that it’s a bit spine chilling:

21. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Those overdubbed extra drums really add to it!

22. mike sullivan

mike sullivan Blues Boy

The Sensational Alex Harvey Band - Faith Healer.....a haunting unearthliness to that classic Harvey song, both audibly and visually.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    Tommy Jay and Whizz Kid like this.
  23. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

Any of the burzum albums from the 90s.

TongueDruid likes this.
  24. 1983

1983 Forum Resident

This goes for the entirety of my first listen to the first disc of the Blue Album one day when I was home alone at age 14. I'd never really heard much psychedelic music before and I found myself more confused than anything, a "this is not music!" kind of gut reaction - but I quickly came to love those songs!

25. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura!

The intro to The Man Comes Around by Johnny Cash, from the book of Revelation.

Further reading here

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.