SPIRIT self titled and "The Family That Plays Together" coming on Audio Fidelity SACD, SH mastered

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Cool, I'm in.

2. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Agreed. I wasn't questioning his original post, just curious about the mix that you get on the original LP -which was on Ode Records. It seems different compared to subsequent Epic pressings and so on... I could be wrong, as I am going on memory, and a stroke suffered last year has made some details blurry in my mind. It's splitting hairs...but I am glad the tape(s) weren't accidentally destroyed, or erased and reused!

Myke likes this.
  3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I used to have the Epic double album of Family That Plays.. with Feedback. Pretty sure the Family mix was the same as the Ode LP.

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Spirit!

How cool is that????!!!!???

CusBlues, showtaper and Vinyl Socks like this.
  5. MJConroy

MJConroy Senior Member

Love both of these albums, have my Ode vinyl copies still. Looking forward to these!

6. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

S
    G'day Steve

Once you have completed remastering a project (i.e) the challenge you had with the 2nd Spirit album, do you create a digital master in say 96/24 kHz for future reissues etc?

All that hard work you do surely is backed up digitally?

7. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

This is awesome news!

In keeping with the "spirit" of things, I will also recommend that Spirit fans hunt down a copy of the Model Shop cd on Sundazed. Fantastic mono sound. I love the mono mix of "Aren't You Glad". That version makes for a great test of your hifi resolution on the verses where Randy plays the melody on guitar in sync with Jay's vocal. If your system can keep them distinct, it's doing something right.

beccabear67 likes this.
  8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Yeah.

rxcory, dartira and ranasakawa like this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Don't worry, the mix matches my old Ode album. It's a below average mix, really, but it has a certain charm. I wouldn't want to mess with it. Remixes always sound worse to me.

10. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Hallelujah! Let the trouncing begin.

11. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

The first self titled record was one of my favorites. Might have worn it down a bit from all the playing. It and all my records are long gone so a SH cd will be on my look out for list.

12. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

This is really cool. AF's :cool: 'ness factor just went up a few notches.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  13. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

So, I'm going to have to buy these albums again! Ain't life a b*tch. :)
    A couple of questions for you Steve, if I may.
    Will these be hybrid SACD/CD discs? *
    On the track "Ice" from the "Clear" album there is quite a (badly?) distorted part in Randy's guitar part. Will you amend this or be content with what the band went with?

* (Mind you, my ageing Arcam 7se CD player is starting to act up so it may be time to move up to an SACD player. Shucks :))

Keep up the good work sir, Kendo.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    Jim in Houston likes this.
  14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Thanks ! Found one for $13.33 !

Jim in Houston and Whoopycat like this.
  15. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

Extreme like-

16. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

Yesssssss! Awesome news! I'm IN! :righton:

17. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

About 15 years ago, I went to hear Perla Batalla sing at the Libby Bowl in Ojai, CA. For that show, John Locke was playing keyboards for her and during some of his improvisations, he was tossing in some of his Spirit runs to give the crowd a thrill. It was great to hear him play those again.

Joti Cover and Vinyl Socks like this.
  18. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

One of the most amazing album runs ever released! They've been on the top of my SACD wish list for ages, and I'm utterly thrilled to hear that they will indeed become a reality. Furthermore, it's not often that I'm keen to have extra tracks on my favourite albums, but this time I'm extremely glad that it has been decided to add the 1996 bonus cuts on these AF releases, too - these are so good (not to say essential)! If ever there was a band ahead of their time or head and shoulders above their contemporaries, it was Spirit - if you ask me, that is.

(And that is putting it mildly.)

jamesmaya likes this.
  19. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Nice!! Great news. That Ode mix does have a certain charm - which is what prompted my inquiry.
    Thank goodness it will finally be available in the digital domain, and with great mastering. It's a dream come true!

20. Boaz

Boaz Forum Resident

Spirit is one of my favorite groups. I especially love "S\T", the first album and "Clear", the third.

I already have the Sony Remasters from 1996, and will love to get the Audio Fidelity Version, if they are indeed better. Therefor I would like to understand what is the possible difference between them - (Besids the SACD, that I cant use on my Naim Player).

21. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Great albums from a great band.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  22. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I love their Spirit of 76' album.

Their take on Hey Joe, Happy and Like A Rolling Stone are very cool.

I also love A Feeling In Time, Walking The Dog, Lady O' The Lake, Tampa Jam...lots of interesting stuff on this double LP.

Cardanken, kendo and lemonade kid like this.
  23. This is a phenomenal record. I'm a gen X'er and I discovered this album two years ago. I was in a Neil Young phase and I kept reading about David Briggs production of this album, so I found a cheap used copy. I couldn't believe how good it is and I just played it over and over. I tell my friends about it and I've even bought them copies, but it doesn't seem to resonate with others in the same way.

The songwriting and the angle the band takes is So interesting and unique to my ears. They have some good vocals but maybe they are an acquired taste for some? There are elements of the band that remind me of early Steely Dan.

I'm a big fan of the first four releases and I'm especially looking forward to hearing 'Clear' on SACD. Great stuff!

PioneersOverC, GregM and lemonade kid like this.
  24. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

I'll be forever grateful that 16 year old Randy's mom wouldn't let him go to England on the Hendrix tour. And for Randy's step dad, Cass, joining Randy to form Spirit together. Cass's shades & Randy's guitar will always be the spirit of Spirit for me. Spirit of '76, Potatoland, Kaptain Kopter, and the first four Spirit LPS will live forever on my TT and player--and multiple Spirit bookstand recent releases. Spirit wasnever Spirit those few times without Randy and Cass--RIP Randy and Cass.

Spirit were love at first listen, when a friend of my 15 year-old brother brought over Spirit 1968 for a listen, in 1968. All it took was track 1, Fresh Garbage, and I was sold!!! Bought each album as they were released through Sardonicaus. Amazing!

I think my favorite "unreleased" track is "Mellow Fellow"...amazing guitar and drums! And now we'll get a new version and master! Randy was just 15 when they recorded that one! I had no idea of Randy's age in 1968 on that first LP (no google then!) when I bought it in 1968...I would never have believed he was only 17 on that first LP -- a year younger than myself!!!

Thanks, Steve!!! Can't wait!!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  25. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

I suspect this was an artistic decision from Randy and the band. And yes, it actually bugged me the first time I heard the vinyl upon release. It sounded like groove distortion to me. Now it's just Randy! :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.