SPIRIT self titled and "The Family That Plays Together" coming on Audio Fidelity SACD, SH mastered

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I only have an old Columbia Best Of CD, so I will buy these SACDs. Then again, I buy every Audio Fidelity SACD (title, not copy).

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  2. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Glad to Spirit get a little recognition. I'm in for these too.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  3. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Great news. I know you haven't started on 12 dreams yet, Steve, and you're committed to not remixing, but any chance to include multichannel? I think that could be done in the spirit of the album, pardon the pun.

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  4. Ninecats

Ninecats Forum Resident

I agree! A stereo/multichannel of Twelve Dreams... would be great. Were there ever a quad mix for that record?

5. Thanks Myke!

Myke likes this.
  6. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

One of my favorite bands: a must purchase for me, even though I have the Sundazed vinyl re-issues and a few on original vinyl. I must have four or five copies of Dr. Sardonicus!

kendo likes this.
  7. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

YEAH BABY! One of my favorite bands ever through their first four recordings.

I'll be curious to hear how tFTPT comes out. The masters were great judging by the Repertoire version that came out awhile back.

8. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

re: the azimuth issues on the segued songs

When playing these back, would you just notice a high frequency drop off between the two track? What all goes wrong when the azimuth is not set correctly?

I guess in a perfect world, the master is all compiled on one properly aligned deck. When it's not, in the LP days, would some songs just be slightly off, whereas now you can join aligned bits together in the digital domain?

Do you always have to align azimuth by ear with music, or can you do it with tones at the top of the tape?

Thanks!

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

You wouldn't notice anything, unless you played back with channels combined. Maybe a slight reduction in top in stereo. Giant swish with loss of top in mono.

None of this stuff has any setup tones at all. Always align stuff like this by ear and by scope..

McLover, Plan9 and Pinknik like this.
  10. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

Fantastic news. Spirit was a great band that deserved the attention.
    The original lineup was a model example of interlocking strengths working together to create high art that still stands up.
    All four albums are great, and at this point Dr. Sardonicus is probably more resonant to me than Pet Sounds. One of a kind, incredible record from start to finish.
    An acquaintance of mind died two summers ago. Not too long after I heard the news, I was listening to this record, and When I Touch You came on. I started thinking about things from the perspective of his girlfriend and suddenly a song that was never one of my very favorites on the record became totally overpowering.
    And good lord, Morning Will Come - how on EARTH was this not a hit? Are you kidding? It should have hit bigger than I Got a Line On You. Killer track off a very heavy, monster record.
    OK, I'll stop now. But this is exciting news.

11. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Well, like most folks responding here, I'm in the spirit all the way! :righton:

[​IMG]
    :cheers:
    Cat

12. Spirited:

Spirit of "Spirit" lives on.
    Spirit of Randy [Craig Wolfe] California lives on.
    Spirit of "60's Rock" lives on.
    Spirit of Gold CD's lives on.
    Spirit of "The Breath of Life" mastering lives on.
    Spirit of SA-CD lives on.

Great, great, news Steve; thank you & all the "True Tone" [TM] professionals who assisted in this project!

McLover likes this.
  13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

14. Further

Further Forum Resident

This is incredible news!

Of course, I will be picking all of these up but I have to say I can't wait until Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus is released. That is one of my absolute favourite albums of all time. What a record! It's hard to believe it wasn't bigger than it was when it was first released but I guess it's true that this band has such a unique sound, it either really grabs you or it doesn't.

I don't believe there was ever a Quad mix of this, was there? Too bad, really. I imagine it would sound fantastic. Even a new 5.1 mix would be great. I know that's not happening with this release but we can all dream, right? Maybe someday.

For now, I will be more than happy with these stereo SACD's. Whoever is responsible for getting this done, Thank You!

15. Vinyl Socks likes this.
  16. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Just chiming in here to say that I will be buying all four of these Spirit SACDs.

SinnerSaint and Myke like this.
  17. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

I am good for all four SACDs as well.

While I prefer the other albums to "Twelve Dreams," I too would be eager to hear (and buy) a multichannel version of that album.

Further and SinnerSaint like this.
  18. "Tin Man" is a NorCal Bay Area cover band that has 'spirit'!
    So still dancing to "I Got A Line On You - Spirit"!!
    Tin Man

19. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The best Audio Fidelity reissues since a few months. I hope the original mixes sound good or (maybe) better as the remixes.

20. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

It's a matter of your personal listening taste. You won't find a needledrop of the Family That Plays Together (Ode pressing) on YouTube to do a comparison, so the only way to do it is to find a 1st pressing (not difficult), and get the 1996 "20-bit" remaster from Sony.

IMO, the original mix has a j'en ai se quoi that requires some relaxed but attentive listening to appreciate fully.
    One example I can refer to is the piano in "Poor Richard"(elsewhere, too), which is a subtle part of the musical fabric that comprises Family in its original mix. On the 1996 remaster CD, you have a different tale. Good dynamic range(ditto for the original mix), and the re-mix certainly updates the sonics quite well (if you're into that...)...but much of the subtlety is brought straight to the surface, and that piano is suddenly slamming out the chords during the intro...and while the instruments are given some renewed clarity, something is lost. The magic is gone-over with a fine-tooth comb, and you have something a bit different, IMO. Other things, like fade-outs, can be different than the original. They got it right the first time, but I'll let you decide...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  21. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Steve, this new series of Spirit SACD titles is very welcome music to many ears here, mine included. Love this announcement.

lemonade kid and Vinyl Socks like this.
  22. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Thanks for your info.... I never owned an original LP. Can't wait.......

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  23. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Yep. The original vinyl/mix rules...on an old analog TT like mine.

But for a CD play in my ride, Steve's will be awesome I'm sure.

:tiphat:

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  24. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Absolutely. This is what I have wanted for a long time: The non-remixed versions on CD, transferred from the tapes. It's a new day for Spirit fans!

driverdrummer likes this.
  25. Boaz

Boaz Forum Resident

Thank you for this information.

Can you elaborate a little about What is the difference between the 1996, which is Remixed and the new Audio Fidelity which are not?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.