Spiritual Jazz: Let's discuss

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ServingTheMusic, May 10, 2017.

1. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Les is great!!! Joe too.

Into Bobby Hutcherson?

2. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

I love Bobby. He elevates most every session he's on.

3. ServingTheMusic

:righton::righton:

4. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Just noticed a typo in the thread title. Should be spiritual, not spirtual.

5. ServingTheMusic

Yikes, sorry!

6. Electric

I'm sure a Gort can easily take care of this.

7. ServingTheMusic

Requested.

8. Bjorn Kjetil Johansen

Bjorn Kjetil Johansen Vortex Surfer

Not really my cup of tea, I'm afraid. And I've never even heard of it, even though I am Norwegian.

Maybe not exactly spiritual, but for some other great Norwegian jazz from 1970, I recommend Min Bul.

MC Rag likes this.
  9. Harold McKinney / Out Of The Blues (Into The Black)

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  10. ServingTheMusic

Thank you sir. Very nice indeed!

Bjorn Kjetil Johansen likes this.
  11. Henry Please

Henry Please Forum Resident

12. ServingTheMusic

I have this one, and it is a doosey. Superb album.

Henry Please likes this.
  13. max_samhain

max_samhain Forum Resident

that sounds very nice. Got some Terje Rypdal records from my father which I dont like that much. This is much better.
    Do you have the panorama reissue on vinyl?

14. Bjorn Kjetil Johansen

Bjorn Kjetil Johansen Vortex Surfer

Min Bul is on my quite large "need to buy"-list. I should really pick it up now, before it is too late. Solid album!

15. freemanl

freemanl Bass Lover

When I first heard this Jazz album it was definitely a Spiritual experience!

[​IMG]

16. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

As usual, late to the party. (I'm actually quite punctual in person).
    I didn't have a clue about this stuff a few years ago- sure, I knew about A Love Supreme, which is often cited as a touchstone for this genre, but I thought- Coltrane. I didn't think "spiritual jazz." What drew me in, after years of basically neglecting the jazz masterpieces and standards, was Herbie Hancock's Crossings (along with the rest of the Mwandishi trilogy), which led me to Strata East at a friend's suggestion. The first record I bought on that label was a good one-- Marchin' On by the Heath Brothers. I've since been exploring Strata East in more depth (some decent reissues are finally forthcoming), Lloyd McNeill (his Washington Suite is gorgeous) and others, most of whom seemed to record in the early '70s. Cecil McBee seems to be a 'go to' bass player on quite a few of these records. This genre has revitalized my interest in jazz because it isn't aimless, has a lot of exotic motifs and the African percussion is fascinating.
    I wind up bouncing between this stuff and proto-metal from the late '60s-early '70s. Go figure. It's lovely music, the players on many of these records are first tier and there is a sense of adventure in their explorations-- I'm not a modal, post-bop or 'free' jazz kinda guy but this stuff makes musical sense to me and has a deftness to it that isn't slick--it has a flow that isn't dissonant or atonal but at the same time turns some of the usual jazz conventions on its head. I highly recommend the Speakers Corner reissue of Crossings. I had purchased, at some expense, a time capsule Warner Green that sounded great, but for whatever reason, the Speakers Corner has more of everything. (Kevin Gray did the remaster). More bass, more sparkle, more punch, more woodiness on the Rhodes. Marchin' On is an expensive record, as is Washington Suite (I'm told the tapes for the latter are gone). Pure Pleasure has been doing a series of Strata East reissues as well.

Ódoligie, ArpMoog, rxcory and 2 others like this.
  17. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Asking for Cosmic-Spiritual-Modern Jazz ?
    Then look up, because The comet is coming and brings Death to the planet.
    [​IMG]

ruben lopez likes this.
  18. Electric

MC Rag and johnnypaddock like this.
  19. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

I don’t know if anyone has mentioned Horace Tapscott in this thread yet. I’ve been obsessed with his records for the past six months or so. His music is what I would call spiritual as well as avant-garde jazz. I have nearly everything he ever put out on vinyl and it’s all top-notch in my books.

20. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

21. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

Binker & Moses - recent stuff from UK

22. SirNoseDVoid

SirNoseDVoid Forum Resident

I like this as well, although they are much better live than on the record.

Spadeygrove likes this.
  23. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

The links in the thread are fire, big thank you's!

Not sure if somone said this but Japanese label baystate has some great spiritual jazz and put out one of my favorite billy Harper records "the believer".
    I think one of the best is also glass bead games by Clifford Jordan....

Xulio likes this.
  24. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Pure Pleasure has started to reissue some of the old Strata East catalog- an earlier Billy Harper- Capra Black? is forthcoming; the Clifford Jordan hasn't shown up on their list of proposed releases (yet).

25. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I did find a second pressing of Asha by Lloyd McNeill that was unplayed, along with several later McNeill's, from a dealer outside Philly. I'm still on the hunt for Washington Suite- there is a sealed copy on e-Bay for $500, which is probably market correct, but aside from not wanting to spend that on a single record, sealed records scare me.