Spiritualized 2021 Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Veltri, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪ Thread Starter

It appears that Spiritualized will be having their first four albums reissued on Fat Possum Records on April 23, 2021.

Lazer Guided Melodies shows as a 2 x LP preorder but all links seem to be down now.

Spotify even changed the album cover of Lazer Guided Melodies to the white cover already.

Hope these sound as good as the Vinyl Me Please Ladies and Gentlemen!

[​IMG]

2. Veltri

Spiritualized and Fat Possum Records are proud to announce the first stage of The Spaceman Reissue Program: definitive vinyl releases of the first four classic Spiritualized albums. Curated by Jason Pierce, the series will kick off April 23 with Spiritualized’s classic 1992 debut, Lazer Guided Melodies.

Elevating the gritty, narcotic garage blues of Pierce's recently disbanded Spacemen 3 into a crystalline space rock / pop wall of sound, Lazer Guided Melodies was recorded from 1990 to 1991, its 12 songs divided into four distinct movements. Reflecting on the transition from Spacemen 3 to the first realization of the Spiritualized sound, Pierce recalls:

"The last Spacemen 3 record was under-realized to me. When I listen back to that stuff it sounds like somebody finding their way. There was a lot of ideas but no way to put them into a space that would make them all work. So, there was a huge freedom forging over the last Spacemen 3 record and when Spiritualized started it was like, ‘OK it’s all yours. Go’…

We recorded the tracks in the studio near my flat which was a place where they predominantly recorded advertising jingles and it’s where we made all the Spacemen 3 records, but then the recordings were taken to Battery Studios in London, to explore a more professional way of making music… Once I approached that way of doing things I opened up a whole world and I was astounded that somebody could take those tracks and turn it into the record it became...”

180g Double Album, Limited Edition White Vinyl - mastered from a half speed lacquer cut from original sources by Alchemy Mastering presented in a gatefold jacket adorned by reworked art by Mark Farrow.

Nightswimmer and Alien Ache like this.
  3. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

Yeeeeeessss, finally!
    If I get it right, Ladies and Gentlemen will also be included? I missed the VMP edition and would LOVE to get it on vinyl for normal price

walrus likes this.
  4. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Following

5. bulletinwbw

bulletinwbw Forum Resident

White variant is up for sale right now: Spiritualized - Lazer Guided Melodies

Use FATPOSSUM20OFF for 20% off (YMMV but it worked for me). These seem to be going quite fast -- it's also available at the official Spiritualized store but shipping is a little more and there's no discount code.

6. Veltri

Yes it will!

The other three albums in the series—1995’s Pure Phase, 1997’s Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space, and 2001’s Let It Come Down—are set to follow, but have not been announced.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  7. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

I just saw this announced on their Instagram page. I'm super excited! I have an original UK pressing for Lazer Guided Melodies, but one of the records has a warp, so I've been looking to replacing it.

I ordered the white vinyl and t-shirt combo. Looks like the t-shirt is a vintage design being reissued as well.

It's Felix likes this.
  8. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

It look like it should be the same, though I'm guessing they'll pick a different vinyl color to differentiate it from the VMP release if they do it a limited vinyl color. It looks like the mastering credits for Lazer... are the same as the VMP Ladies... release, both Barry Grint at Alchemy Mastering.

Veltri likes this.
  9. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

I put a preorder in for LGM at my local shop. Super hyped for these reissues.

10. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

So is that good or bad?

11. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

Very good. The VMP Ladies and Gentlemen... is the best version by far I've heard IMO, and what I'm sure the 2021 reissue will be based off of. I'm confident these reissues are going to sound better than ever.

12. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

I think the VMP release is good, though I don't have any other vinyl versions to compare it to. I think the only other options on vinyl are the Plain reissue or the original UK.

Also, the VMP version has the "I can't help falling in love" version of the first song, which I don't think made it to the original UK vinyl release because of legal issues with Elvis' estate, which later got resolved. I don't think that version of the song is on the Plain release either, but I'm not 100% sure about that, as I haven't heard the Plain release.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  13. Alien Ache

Alien Ache Soul black vinyl to stop your tears

Lovely news. Pre-ordered the White vinyl and the vintage glow print shirt. Both look gorgeous. I was super happy with the VMP Ladies and Gentlemen... so if these are mastered/cut by the same team then I suspect they will sound great!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Awesome. Definitely want to get that. Hopefully it will be widely enough available and reasonably priced.

WithinYourReach likes this.
  15. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Just used that code and it worked for me too! Thanks for the tip!

I’ll probably get some of the merch direct from the SPZD website though. I still have my original shirt with the ghosts on the blue background from their first tour! Those ghosts glow in the dark, not sure if these do though. Awesome stuff.

16. Patanoia

Patanoia Third Ear Centre

This thread prompted me to pull out my US CD of "Lazer Guided Melodies". There's a small image on the back cover of a large bird in a dustbin/trash can. Anyone know what that's all about? My only guess is that it's an albatross, representing what he has left behind in Spaceman 3.

17. Packblower

Packblower Lovely form, lovely buttocks.

Rough Trade are doing a white vinyl version with a print of the album cover, if like that sort of thing.

Neonbeam and Em. like this.
  18. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

Is it cut at 45 like the original? (which I have, with a cute wee bonus 7")

jestoon425 likes this.
  19. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Great News. Just want to leave a Post, so I will get Alerts for this Thread. Thanks to the OP and a few others for the information.

20. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

Where did you write this code down? I can't find a place to write it down, do you have to be logged in to do it?

21. Snoddywilko

Snoddywilko Forum Resident

I ordered the white vinyl from the U.K. SPIRITUALIZED store (at almost £38 with P&p) but then received an email from Vinyl Me Please advertising that they were selling it, too (£24 members price with free shipping to the U.K.).

Needless to say I cancelled my original order & saved myself £14 in the process.

:)

22. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Such a deal. $28.50 with Media Mail shipping after the discount code. Ordered.

jestoon425 likes this.
  23. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Sweet! I only have have the plain records editions and they’re not sweet. Will there be a black vinyl lazer guided also?

edit- just checked and the answer is yes. I’ll leave the silly post to follow the thread ;)
    Very excited for these

24. reverendjim

reverendjim Forum Resident

Speaking of the original US CD (and my memory is a little rusty on this), I believe it is during “Angel Sigh” that, a minute or two in, there is a skip on the disc that takes you back to the beginning of the song. You likely wouldn’t notice it if you weren’t paying attention, but it’s there! I have another copy, from somewhere in Europe (it has the band name and album title on the cover as part of the artwork), that does NOT include the skip. Not sure which version, skip or no-skip, is more common worldwide.

EDIT: Version with the skip may in fact be the mid ’90s US pressing, not the original.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  25. Philbo

Philbo Punk in the Beerlight

Ok, this thread was enough to trigger my FOMO!

I had this on cd about 25 years ago and then later enjoyed the versions on the Complete Works. But I'm ready to revisit it.

And a few stores in the UK have already sold out (just to stoke the FOMO further!)

WithinYourReach likes this.