Spiritualized 2021 Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Veltri, Feb 23, 2021.

1. PostalBlowfish75

PostalBlowfish75 Senior Member

I’ve been comparing the new PP issue to the Plain Reissue and this new one really has much better sound quality. Far greater clarity with the new PP, the Plain is much darker, veiled... really noticeable on Let It Flow.

Anyone else disappointed with the back cover art of this series so far? I always liked the back of PP with the sun(?) and song titles, and “guaranteed high fidelity” at the top. The spreadsheet looking backs of both Pure Phase and Lazer Guided Melodies are a little weak sauce.
    Regardless, it is really cool to get a great press/package of one of my favorite 90’s records.

2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Yeah! And not just the back cover. I miss the original inner artwork as well. Loved the different colour variations of the cover in "Laser" and the "blue bolt" group shot in "PP". But then again.... I already have them.

PostalBlowfish75 likes this.
  3. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Fat Possum finally came through and I got my CD and gitd vinyl today! The vinyl is for the kid, so what I’m really looking forward to is comparing this new disc with my ‘95 Dedicated UK version on my main system. Hoping it betters it as was the case with Laser Guided Melodies. Will report back later!

WithinYourReach likes this.
  4. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Okay, once again this new CD remaster edges out the best previous iteration, in my opinion. Like the new Laser Guided Melodies, the difference isn’t necessarily dramatic but it’s pretty obvious. There isn’t any obvious eq adjustments, just a little more detail and clarity, and the bass on songs like The Slide Song digs that much deeper without sounding goosed. This CD sounds beautiful (as it should) and I’m so happy to hear a remaster/rerelease campaign start off so well.

WithinYourReach likes this.
  5. TheGoodDoctor

TheGoodDoctor It used to go something like that

or as it has now been pushed to, 9 July, which is a bit irritating

Gavaxeman likes this.
  6. FP is only a small label,you have to bear in mind the pressing plants are busy pumping out 40 years old re pressings of a Fleetwood Mac live album.
    I had the horror of walking into HMV in Manchester yesterday and I could not believe the shelves of low hanging fruit on sale.
    Thank god for the shops on Oldham road.

SwintonRed and luckycountry like this.
  7. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

Floored by how good this reissue of Pure Phase sounds. The cover sleeve quality of this reissue is much better than the one Lazer Guided Melodies came with. I was nervous of how the quality of the record would be with surface noise and all because of the phosphorescent power used to make records glow, but I'm happy to say there is none. It plays nice, flat, and the sound once again is INCREDIBLE.

[​IMG]

8. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Has anyone measured the dynamic range on the new Pure Phase? I don’t have this capability. I would think the numbers would be impressive. It’s hard to decide where to set my volume knob. This goes from a whisper to ear splitting on a dime.

DHamilton likes this.
  9. Johnny YesNo

Johnny YesNo Forum Resident

I just received my black vinyl copy from Amazon US yesterday, I've had the GITD copy from the Spiritualized US store for over a month now. If you like how the GITD copy sounds, I think the black vinyl is even quieter and possibly better. I couldn't hear anything at all between tracks, it's flat and so far it sound flawless. I noticed that the black vinyl copy is also pressed in the Czech Republic like the GITD vinyl, I thought Fat Possum had a US pressing plant?

10. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Anybody in the U.K. received the glow version yet?

11. Philbo

Philbo Punk in the Beerlight

Arriving tomorrow...it's been a wait!

It's Felix likes this.
  12. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

Regular version arriving today

It's Felix likes this.
  13. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

Do we know when Ladies is going to be announced? I assume it will be the biggest seller of the series and I want to make sure I grab one.

It's Felix likes this.
  14. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

I picked up a GITD from local shop. I would have been happy with black, but that was all they had, and shop said they had received less copies than they ordered in... £27 for a 2LP with a novelty factor didn't seem too bad.

The sleeve is much, much nicer than LGM, albeit a bit on the tight side...LP1, has very slight warp, LP2 totally flat... I notice that both discs have that rough edge that my white LGM has; it can't affect playback, of course, and doesn't really matter, but it does make you wonder why they find it so difficult to get a nice smooth edge :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    Marc Perman and Gavaxeman like this.
  15. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Many thanks. I received a shipping notice from stranger than paradise. Looking forward to it.

johnnybrum likes this.
  16. Johnny YesNo

Johnny YesNo Forum Resident

Yeah, what he said, what about that???

17. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Same as mine that came , big plonk of vinyl hanging off the edges ...hopefully didn’t cause any scratches in transit ...agree , sleeve much better ..nicely done ..so needs a clean and then some light! And off we glow

johnnybrum likes this.
  18. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Is there any indication that for LAGWAFIS if the New Version in this Series will just be a repress of the VMP recent reissue that was remastered by Barry Grint, or will this be a different reissue with the remaster done by C. Blair, who did the remaster for LGM & PP?

Not sure which Pressing Plant was utilized for the VMP Version for LAGWAFIS, but a few Discogs comments mentioned copies with IGD, while other comments mentioned no problems at all. I saw that VMP did a 2nd Pressing for this Title, and the IGD Comments seemed to be more recent, so maybe those problems were with the 2nd Pressing, but no idea.

19. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

My VMP pressing is flawless - much better than the recent LGM and PP releases.

Rupe33 likes this.
  20. porotikos

porotikos Porotikos

my vmp of lgwafis (both copies) have noise in track 2 of side 2 on the first vinyl. both copies i have. it is like there isa scratch and you have constant repeating noise for 30 seconds. obviously no scratch. this must have been in the masterplate. really gutted

21. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

Did you get your copies during VMP's initial run (came with the obi strip, etc), or when they repressed it?

22. Philbo

Philbo Punk in the Beerlight

The packaging for this (Pure Phase) is definitely a step up from LGM.

Only complaint is that the tightness of the sleeve has caused a seam split on the inner sleeve trying to get the thing back in. Otherwise, great! Love the 'decayed' photos used for the artwork.

Haven't 'charged' the glow-in-the-dark yet so can't comment but both discs play through nice and quiet.

Top marks for listening to feedback after the problems with LGM release!

Neonbeam, Gavaxeman and johnnybrum like this.
  23. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

weird, not there on my copy from the first run

Dudley Morris likes this.
  24. John Barrett

John Barrett Forum Resident

Anyone else have noticeable distortion on the right channel during The Slide Song? Occurs on both the black and GITD pressings for me at least.

25. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Managed to get a relatively quiet LGM on the white vinyl….the black vinyl version isn’t worth going for if you’re trying to get a quiet copy, as it isn’t noticeabley better. I was quite happy with the sound on this.

Just received Pure phase glow in the dark and the pressing is full of constant crackle in some sections…some are quieter and acceptable and other parts are really bad. The mastering is pretty good, I find it a little bass heavy at times and feel that overall LGM is a better sounding reissue. The only thing that is better about PP is the packaging with the direct to board cover.

I will get rid of Pure Phase I think, not worth it as the pressing ruins it for me.

TomNYC and John Barrett like this.