Spiritualized : And Nothing Hurt (Sept. 7th)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheWarmth, Jun 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

This album is pretty wonderful, and I’m only halfway through a first listen. Thanks so much Spaceman! We’ve missed you a whole lot.

MungoMusic and Oyster Boy like this.
  2. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

First play last night on CD and I think it is briiliant. It may have knocked off the Breeders All Nerve for my top spot of album of the year. There is potentially Low's and the Harmony Rocket's new albums which are yet to come out that could cause a reshuffle. Love it.

jimhb, munjeet and Echoes71 like this.
  3. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Man, it is SO good to be listening to new Spiritualized music again. This certainly is album of the year for me right now. The highlights are many but, right now, I am particularly digging “Let’s Dance”, which strikes me as a perfect melding of Laser Guided Melodies chill and Let It All Come Down grandiosity. Just brilliant.

TheWarmth and Oyster Boy like this.
  4. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

I wondered if it was just my copy that exhibited these characteristics, was worried I’d damaged it somehow while cleaning it. Not listened to the MP3s yet.

Very good album.

5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Grrrrr.... the postman left it with my neighbours. And apparently they are away for the weekend.

6. sbeaupre

sbeaupre Everything must go

Amazon changed the status to “temporarily out of stock” on the day it was released. Which isn’t quite right, but sounds better than “we screwed up, might arrive soon.”

7. luckycountry

luckycountry Forum Resident

I also got screwed over by Amazon. They told me the problem was "stock fluctuations" and offered me a 5% discount if I kept the order open. I ended up ordering from Amoeba. Amazon might be a $1 trillion company now but they know how to lose customers.

8. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I found out Noel Summerville cut the UK vinyl

9. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

I didn’t realize how much I really needed a new Spaceman album, until I got the new Spaceman album that I really needed. This album is really great! I feel like there’s a return to some of the dronier elements of his 90’s music, which has been less prominent in recent years. Perhaps that’s an artifact of the ProTools recording process. Whatever the cause, it’s a welcome return.

I also love that he’s stretched out some with the lyrics and avoided some of the more frequently-repeated imagery from songs past. The more wistful, mid-tempo songs have been the most successful tracks on the last couple of LPs (imho), and I think it’s great that this record is dominated by those type of tracks, without the heavier fast guitar rockers that can sometimes feel like retreads of “Come Together.”

Love that the skronky horns have made a comeback also.

Love, most of all, the hat tip towards Brian Wilson in “Here It Comes (The Road) Let’s Go.”
    It’s gotta be intentional: in “Busy Doin’ Nothin’,” on the album Friends, Brian gives you directions to his house. Spaceman does the same here, and it comes across as a glorious tribute, without seeming at all derivative.

Can we get an American tour, J? Mid-Atlantic coast? We’ll come to you, if you come anywhere close and I can get tickets!

Oyster Boy, Echoes71 and Gabe Walters like this.
  10. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Spiritualized is playing Brooklyn(forget the date) and think only other US Tour Stop this Fall is LA-IIRC.

jimhb and munjeet like this.
  11. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Used to love this group after I heard “Ladies And Gentlemen..” when it first came out, but they got progressively less interesting to me with each album after that. That said, I usually check out what they release, and I picked up Songs In A & E when it dropped, got it used on CD.

The story behind this album is interesting (J blew his recording budget on big studio takes he wasn’t happy with, and had to start from scratch recording on a laptop). The two songs I’ve heard are ok. I may give this one a full listen at some point.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    robbow99 and Spaceboy like this.
  12. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Love this. Love the deluxe package. Love the whole damn thing.

Jason Pierce is my Spirit Animal.

13. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

Unanimous thumbs up around here, then. :)

14. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Today, as I was listening to the album (again), there was a moment where I immediately thought "Brian Wilson", but I couldn't exactly pinpoint exactly what it was that made me associate the album with Wilson. Then I logged on here to read your comment. Weird!

munjeet likes this.
  15. TheSeldomSeenKid

Can anyone who bought the US version of the Orange Vinyl(Deluxe) able to tell which Pressing Plant was used and if the US version was also Pressed by an EU Pressing Plant?

SoundDoctor likes this.
  16. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

Ordered standard vinyl from Barnes and Noble, hopefully they ship if they haven't already.

Really excited about this one. Streamed it and it's really good.

Also wondering the same.

17. ShayLaB

ShayLaB Forum Resident

The is really rather superb.

Oyster Boy, munjeet and SoundDoctor like this.
  18. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Memphis Record Pressing, the in-house plant for Fat Possum.

TheSeldomSeenKid and hutlock like this.
  19. TheSeldomSeenKid

I find myself playing 'Sweet Heart, Sweet Light' more than even "LAGWAFIS' 'LICD' & 'LGM' ever since it came out. Just a Brilliant Album. If 'And Nothing Hurt' is even better, it will blow my mind(I did not even listen to the few songs posted earlier as wanted to take in the complete Album as one Whole Experience).

I just got the Free Download from Amazon, although not sure if they will still get the Orange Vinyl to me(and the CD I also ordered), as it has not Shipped Yet but says arriving by Tuesday, but will listen to the Download tomorrow.

I had not bought the Vinyl to the prior Albums, since it was at a time when I only bought CDs, and thought I read not so great reviews on the Re-Release of 'LAGWAFIS' on Vinyl(Plain Records Label?), but no idea about any Vinyl for Mastering and Pressing Quality on past Spiritualized Albums.

Even though, 'OK Computer' is my #1 All Time Favorite Album and 'The Bends' was in my Top 5 Albums from the 1990s, I could make the case that the entire Catalog by Spiritualized(well J Spaceman) is as good if not better than Radiohead. Even 'The Complete Works Volume 1 & 2' are great as Compilations.

This might be my favorite Spiritualized Song(and Awesome Video also), and the the fact he was making this music(Songs of A & E' Album) around the time(just before he almost died from an illness-IIRC), is well 'Amazing' after 'Amazing Grace' Album(my least favorite, but still Good).

Oyster Boy, munjeet and Echoes71 like this.
  20. SoundDoctor

"LAGWAFIS" vinyl in print is cut from a CD.

As for Radiohead, Kid A is my fave, but OK Computer is also brilliant.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  21. TheSeldomSeenKid

Anyone familiar with their Pressing Quality, as not familiar with other Albums Pressed by Memphis Record Pressing? Since, the Orange Vinyl is 140gm, should this most likely result in lesser chance for any Pressing Flaws?

Any other SHF Members here from Europe and bought the Orange Vinyl, know what Pressing Plant was used for the EU Orange Deluxe Vinyl and the Black and the White Versions?

SoundDoctor likes this.
  22. Reamonnt

Reamonnt Mr.T

I will get the CD in Tower Records here in Dublin next week. Ive been completing their discography on cd like crazy in last month but it will be great to hear new material. Heavy fog machine, strobes, angel on the keyboards, 100 bars and a white lightening blotter memories of first time I saw them must be 25 years ago now.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  23. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

My white US vinyl does not have any pressing issues.

This is a great lp!

hutlock and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  24. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

How do you know it is from a CD?

25. SoundDoctor

Plain is notorious for cutting records from CDs, even though they get an official license for the record label to release this stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.