Spiritualized : And Nothing Hurt (Sept. 7th)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheWarmth, Jun 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I've loved Spiritualized® ever since "Pure Phase" blew my mind as a teenager in the mid-90's, so any new album is met with excitement.
    "Ladies & Gentlemen..." remains an all-time favourite and all that came after has been stellar and soundtracked various parts of my life.
    I've seen them live multiple times in venues big and small, and every time came away thinking, "Wow — what an assault on the senses!" Truly a great band.

This new album sounds like a greatest hits set — it's got it all and I love it.
    Maybe a modern classic? Certainly my favourite album release so far this year!

2. luckycountry

luckycountry Forum Resident

Seeing Spiritualized in the mid-1990s was the only time in my life I felt I was levitating.

Summerisle, RobNeil, Reamonnt and 4 others like this.
  3. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Well, I don’t know about that. Many of their releases use 96/24 files....I’m not quite sure they cut records from cd’s.

4. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

Spacemen 3 live topped that , personally . like being on drugs without being on drugs and floating away .

luckycountry likes this.
  5. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

This is a wonderful album....

6. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

I'm thinking of seeing the band in London in a few weeks time when they are performing with a choir and orchestra.

Has anyone seen the band do a group/choir/orchestra show?

7. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Yes - I saw the Ladies and Gentlemen show at Radio City Music Hall, and it was one of the most incredible musical experiences in my life. If you can go, do it!

8. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I would definitely recommend seeing them! They're incredible.

craigobau likes this.
  9. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Seen them with a gospel choir (they appeared during Think I'm in Love if memory serves) at the Festival Hall as part of John Peel's Meltdown. Wow, was amazing, then Sonic Youth came on and did a set then both bands did a long jam during which a lot of people left, not me! Also seen them at Sheffield Octogan and York Barbican and both were band shows, but still outstanding. Also saw J Spacemen play with Patti Smith at another meltdown.

craigobau likes this.
  10. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

Been a bit of a fan of the band ever since I heard Ladies And Gentlemen...

Excellent new album, really loving it.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  11. sbeaupre

sbeaupre Everything must go

I was lucky enough to see them twice, both times in Boston. The first was around/near Ladies and Gentlemen, the second time was the Amazing Grace tour with J seated stage left. I don’t think he was sitting for the earlier tour. In any case, they were fantastic both times.

Just ordered the orange vinyl on Norman and canceled the Amazon CD order, which is still in “stock fluctuation” limbo. Is the download with the vinyl FLAC or MP3?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    hutlock likes this.
  12. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

Yes me - the final show on the Ladies and Gentleman shows in December 2009 at Gateshead Sage. I’ve been going to gigs since 1986 and have seen hundreds - that show easily makes my top 10 - completely stunning.

Gutted I can’t make the Hammersmith show.

13. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Proud to say I have seen Spiritualized five times, each one amazing in its own way. Hell, I've seen Jason play standing up even! Lol

My favorite of the lot is probably the Amazing Grace tour, though the Ladies and Gentlemen tour is a very close second.

I heartily recommend that anyone who CAN see them SHOULD see them. Jason has an understanding of concert pacing and dynamics that is second to none.

14. hutlock

Yeah, Jason was standing for the Lazer Guided Melodies and Ladies and Gentlemen tours, then he started sitting after that. Well, I mean, he sat with Spacemen 3 but that's not what I'm counting...

sbeaupre likes this.
  15. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Just listening to this on Apple Music. I only have a couple of their CDs and have never seen them live, but I like this new one a lot and will be getting the CD. Any high res downloads available? I can only find CD and vinyl on the Spiritualized store.

16. hutlock

Vinyl comes with a download card, but I don't think it is high res. Never heard of nor seen any high res Spiritualized at all.

17. djcavanagh

djcavanagh Forum Resident

HD Tracks have the new lp on their US site in 24/44.1 (not on the UK site for some reason). Qobuz have SHSL in 24/44.1.

Sevoflurane likes this.
  18. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

I have the Bella Union white vinyl and the download that came with it is MP3.

19. hutlock

Is 24/44.1 considered high res? I mean it's definitely better than a junky MP3 but I am not sure where that line is drawn... the numbers have always confused me.

20. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

While the Ladies and Gentlemen Radio City show was still my favorite Spiritualized concert experience, a very close second was the Boston show on the Let It Come Down tour (2001). It wasn’t full-on orchestra and choir, but it was an expanded line-up with full horn section, backing vocalists, and additional percussion. They opened with a mind-blowing “Cop Shoot Cop” and ended the main set with a ferocious “Take Me to the Other Side”. So good.

I’m really bummed that I won’t be able to attend the NYC show. I was offered a ticket but I’ve got another obligation that I can’t get out of....

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  21. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

My highlight of seeing Spiritualized what when they opened for Radiohead (!) at (the now defunked) Universal Amphitheater, which was a perfect capacity (6K) indoor theater. Radiohead on tour for OK Computer, and Spiritualized for Ladies & Gentlemen. It doesn't get any better!
    Seen both bands before and since, but that night, together, was the highlight.

Squiggsy68 and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  22. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

A great regret of mine that I had a slim chance to see Spiritualized on the LAGWAFIS tour, but couldn’t make that show. When I did finally see them in DC (2012), it was one of most moving and powerful live concert experiences I’ve had. I’ve been to see them once since, and that was also incredible.

Anyone who has a chance to see them live should go. I’d love a chance to hear these new songs done by the touring lineup.

hutlock and Oyster Boy like this.
  23. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

Bah! Oh well, vinyl’s on the way, once it gets here it’ll meet Mr. Korg mr-2000s and i’ll make my own dsd copy.

hutlock likes this.
  24. luckycountry

luckycountry Forum Resident

Lucky you. Where did you see them?

On a side note, I really wish the Erik Morse book, "Dreamweapon," would get a reprint. It's the best book on Spacemen 3 and Spiritualized out there. It's been out of print for over a decade now. I've tried to contact him but he seems to have no online presence whatsoever.

Echoes71 likes this.
  25. djcavanagh

djcavanagh Forum Resident

24 bit is the cut-off for me but YMMV

hutlock likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.