Split Enz

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Aug 21, 2016.

1. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it. Thread Starter

...get better with every album of their I have heard. I had sort of written off the pre-Neil Finn version of the band based on Phil Judd's fall from grace, but I'm enjoying Dizrhythmia very much. My wife says its Island-era Sparks meets Roxy Music.

And I've been a fan of True Colours and Time & Tide for ages. I can't get into Crowded House as they don't have the same mischief that runs through the Enz stuff. Or do they? Or do any other offshoot of the band?

So, any fans of NZ's greatest non-sporting sons? What else is worth picking up?

P.S. There is an old Enz thread here, but its closed. Split Enz - Mental Notes - not what I expected »

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    Svetonio, mx20, Dan C and 7 others like this.
  2. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

I've really got try and get into Enz again. I'm the opposite - I love Crowded House but struggle a bit with Split Enz.

3. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I was blown away by True Colours and didn't think it could get better than that. It sure did for me with Time and Tide that became one of my favorite albums. Sadly, I don't recall it causing much of a ripple in the states. I hope I'm remembering wrong.

And I must say, I loved the laser etching on True Colours and its single.

4. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I could have written this post. I remember a few videos hitting MTV but no not many in my High School hallways were into them. I remember lending out my True Colours LP and having a heck of a time getting it back.

5. Martyn

Martyn Forum Resident

I have those 2 albums (True Colors & Time & Tide), been meaning to get more of there stuff (Years ago I had Conflicting Emotions as well). I always enjoyed them, especially Time & Tide, Dirty Creature was kind of a hit in the US, at least on KROQ in LA anyway, got played many times, along with I Got You from True Colors. I remember hearing 6 Months on a Leaky Boat a lot on the radio as well.

6. swintonlion

swintonlion Forum Resident

Did like true colours myself,one by the finn brothers called finn i quite liked bit of a demo quality to show off the bass of your hi fi system .

7. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Great band, love their weirdness. As recommended on the other thread you need to listen to the Enzology podcast series which is excellent and very detailed. Still find it weird they were based in the UK in the mid/late 70's near to where i live now in Hertfordshire.

Enzology - Radio New Zealand's story of Split Enz - Enzology »

I don't own all the individual albums, i own the Spellbound 2cd compilation which i bought in Australia in late 90's. Very good.

Jaffaman, SillyRabbit and Tim S like this.
  8. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

As much I love "True Colors" this one (Waiata) for me is a notch above.

[​IMG]

Rick A.

Voom, HitAndRun, Gorgon and 9 others like this.
  9. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Not sure if this is what you meant, but Dizrhythmia isn't really pre-Neil Finn... It was his first album with the band, although only as a guitarist not as a singer-songwriter. And Phil Judd isn't on it.

10. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it. Thread Starter

...yup, that was my mistake (pun intended).

So, Phil Judd was only on the original and international Mental Notes/Second Thoughts albums?

RevolutionDoctor and Linus like this.
  11. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Agreed. The first four tracks are great!

For me one of the most memorable LPs of 1981 along with Duran Duran and Talk Talk Talk.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    mooseman likes this.
  12. RTW

RTW Forum Resident

There's an album (since canonized) called The Beginning of the Enz that has pre-Mental Notes material, and it's very Judd heavy.

13. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Thank you! My favorite Split Enz album! One of the best bands of the eighties by far. The songwriting craft, the eargasmic melodies, and incredible musicianship are all first class.

14. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

For those that don't already know, this album was called Corroboree in Australia.

gregorya likes this.
  15. RickA

QUOTE="John Buchanan, post: 14889716, member: 15"]For those that don't already know, this album was called Corroboree in Australia.[/QUOTE]

You are so right John, I rebought this album when I discovered it as an import. And it did have improved sound. Glad to see many love this record as I.
    Geez, I may need to pull this out for tonight's listening. :agree:

Rick A.

16. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

If you are looking to explore Split Enz offshoots, you might try the double-CD compilation called Other Enz-Split Enz & Beyond (41 choice tracks from offshoots, alumni & affiliates 1978-1996). Surprised to find a couple reasonably priced copies on eBay right now ($20-ish).

It has a choice track by Tim Finn from his work with Phil Manzanera plus lots of other Phil/Tim/Neil goodness, not to mention a number of other offshoots, many of which isn't readily available otherwise.

17. RickA

Excellent, I have that as well. SJP is right, great way to explore so many avenues this band has offered. Great mention SJP!

Rick A.

SJP likes this.
  18. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I like True Colours. Good album.

19. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Phil Judd's two subsequent bands are well worth checking out. The Swingers were an awesome power pop / punk band. They only released one album, and a fair whack of their best stuff isn't on it, unfortunately. They're long overdue for a comprehensive compilation: I think everything they ever released would fit onto a single CD.

Then, in the late 80s, he formed Schnell Fenster, which is basically a parallel universe Split Enz: what if Phil Judd had carried on with the band instead of Tim Finn? It's where the non-Crowded House half of the band (Noel Crombie, Nigel Griggs) relocated after the split, and their 1988 debut The Sound of Trees is a great pop album, a weirder True Colours or Waiata. The follow-up is less so, but has a couple of decent tracks.

20. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

and their best song, Sweet Dreams, an astonishing mini-opera:

21. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I've often thought about checking out their catalog. When Mtv first came out, they would play them quite a bit. I was quite young (5 or 6), and yet those tunes have stuck with me, so they must be pretty good. I even remember that they had a big premier for "Six Months In A Leaky Boat"; I really liked "I Got You," "History Never Repeats", "One Step Ahead" (that one seemed kinda spooky!). Maybe I'll look around on Youtube.

22. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I love these two live clips from the US 80's tv show "Fridays"

ARK, Marty T, Dan C and 4 others like this.
  23. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

24. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Looks like a must have:cheers:

SJP likes this.
  25. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Eddie Rayner is one of my absolute favorite keyboardists from this era - what a musician! His work on these two videos is just fantastic.