Split Enz

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

And we all know that there's a new 2CD live album out now, don't we? :)

Actually, it's a rip off: the first disc is the third go-round for some of the 1993 performances that first appeared on Anniversary.

2. motownmaniac

motownmaniac Forum Resident

Waiata (Maori) & Corroboree (Aboriginal) means to dance and sing etc . The title seems like a homage to the native peoples of each land .

3. Jaffaman

Jaffaman Senior Member

But the second disc is previously unreleased live recordings. The entire 2CD set is cheaper than most single CDs. I don't know if I need to add it to my collection, but it's there for those who want it and at a fair price.

4. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it. Thread Starter

Out of interest, are there any murmurs of future Enz work or reunions? Neil has Crowded House commitments right now, I guess, but maybe soon…?

Far as I'm aware there are no major ructions in the 'classic' lineup apart from with Mal Green again.

Dr. Dog likes this.
  5. RTW

RTW Forum Resident

That was the intention and conceptually it was going to apply to every country of release (curious which native term they would have used for the U.S. or Canada where there are countless tribes) but in reality it didn't get that far.

6. ukozcd

ukozcd Jedi

I like split enz but not loving this.

7. RTW

RTW Forum Resident

I stand corrected. It looks like Conflicting Emotions was pressed in W. Germany for the U.S. market so I'm assuming this was released at the time of the album's release as a fairly early CD effort. I wouldn't count that Time and Tide release as a U.S. release, however, it's got the Japanese obi etc. that qualifies it for the Japanese market and probably wasn't exported much.
    Those were all released and remaindered prior to the breakout of Crowded House and/or before Neil became a name in his own right. As I suggested, a reissue campaign around the time of 1990 would have been ideal, or even better, a Rhino endeavor right around 1995/96.

8. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Yes, Conflicting Emotions was an early CD release. I originally bought it on LP as soon as it came out, and it said right on the back cover that it was also available on CD. Sure enough, I found a copy soon after buying my first CD player, which was in 1984. My copy, however, was a JPN pressed copy (CSR), but also for the U.S. market. In fact, I only found out about the West German pressing over the last few years. About Time and Tide, yes, you are correct that it wasn't a U.S. release. But really, I was addressing A&M CD issues regardless of market.

I agree with you that it's odd that A&M didn't capitalize on Crowded House's success and reissue those two titles at least. (I'm 99% sure that True Colors was still in print at the time.)

9. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Outside Oceania it was going to be called Jamboree but A&M thought it sounded too much like the boy scouts.

10. Devilscucumber

Devilscucumber Forum Resident

Slightly different, waiata is a vocal thing:
    "Waiata – songs, chants, hymns, lullabies, love songs, laments etc. – are sung to embellish speeches, to convey a particular message, to impart a story or historical event or to entertain or bring closure as a single entity. "
    while....
    "corroboree
    an Australian Aboriginal dance ceremony which may take the form of a sacred ritual or an informal gathering."

As for Jamborree....

11. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

Why they didn't call it "Hootenanny" in the States... oh, what a waste.

12. moeson

moeson Forum Resident

Neil recently released a solo CD and will soon release a joint CD with son Liam. Crowded House is inactive right now.

13. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Heads up to Split Enz collectors that the reasonably hard to find 12" extended mix of 'I Walk Away' was recently reissued on vinyl and CD as part of an 'Australian '80s Dance Remixes' collection.

Various - 12 Inch Dance Australian 80's Pop

It's not especially exciting, but it was the band's only extended remix!

factory44 and van1 like this.
  14. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

I think I have that... agree that it's not particularly exciting - I certainly didn't get it with rarity in mind...

15. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Speaking of Split Enz, currently spinning their 1987 comp.
    [​IMG]

Paul H, Mylene and Marc Perman like this.
  16. PretzelLogic

Amusingly, just over 18 months later, Mrs. Pretzel is now allergic to Judd-era Split Enz; I think I overplayed those first two albums!

17. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This is the only version of Split Enz I ever saw live. First album time. I loved the zaniness. Very Vaudevillian. Did I really just witness a man doing a spoon solo live.....? Brilliant. Wish I'd seen them more to be honest.

18. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Mental Notes (Australian version) is a masterpiece from start to finish. One of the greatest albums ever released.

19. PretzelLogic

Enjoying this 2002 clip of this early lineup (plus Neil instead of Phil) doing two songs by the later lineup:

Ryan Lux and factory44 like this.
  20. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

split enz were a great band. no matter which line up, they always had something quirky and unique to offer. i got the cd box set when it became available, to complement the true colours and corroboree vinyl i had (please note Waiata was the international name of Corroboree, not sure why)
    Frenzy was probably the first big album in oz with i see red being a huge hit. give it a whirl is also a rather large number for the band.
    late last night would have been their first hit in oz, but not quite to the extent that i see red was. matinee idol (129) also did quite well.
    Other odd facts about the enz ... when they went to england pre-punk movement, the english press wrote them off for the weird hair and costumes, kind of ironic when you think of the fashion driven nature of punk with its weird hair and costumes. i often wonder if the enz had any influence over that movements hair statements.
    Dizrythmia was probably the break through album with bold as brass and especially my mistake doing well for the band.
    True colours was quite huge and corroboree followed that up cementing the band in the australian hearts and minds. time and time was a great follow up and still retained a certain quirkyness.
    with conflicting emotions the band had, to a degree started to fragment and shortly after Tim Finn left the band to release escapade which was a huge success in australia. he never really repeated that success, but that album was a staple of eighties radio and turntables in australia.
    see ya 'round isn't bad but seems like an afterthought. i think that's why neil then moved on to put crowded house together.
    going back to phil judd, he had a huge hit with his post enz band the swingers called counting the beat.

21. Andy Smith

I disagree. The English press didn't write them off. I remember them getting favourable reviews, particularly in Sounds and the Melody Maker. (Maybe the NME had a bad word, but the NME was written by - and read by - pretentious tossers at that time. If you weren't 'trendy' or knew somebody, you were probably going to get slatted). Nope, Split Enz were encouraged for being non-conformists. Wish I still had my old press cuttings from then!

22. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

cool. i must have only got the nme feedback. great band

Andy Smith likes this.
  23. Andy Smith

Totally agree chum. Much missed.

mark winstanley likes this.
  24. Andy Smith

Oooo...controversial. Just been speaking to a buddy via e-missive and he offers "Yes, & it's NOT as good as ours (the U.K version). It’s basically the same but before Manzanera remixed it better with a couple of different songs." I need to get some kind-hearted bugger to D-box me the Oz version now for comparison.

25. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The Aussie version flows better. The first side Walking Down the road, Under the Wheel, Amy (Darling) and So Long For Now is such a great listen.