Splitting Signal from Phono Preamp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rontokyo, Mar 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm currently splitting the signal from my stand alone phono preamp with signal going to both my amp and my computer soundcard [to record to hard drive]. [Because my amp has no outs, I can't go from amp to soundcard directly.] I don't hear any loss of signal strength, but I was curious to hear from members re: any signal degradation that I may not be aware of. The alternative is to disconnect one pair of cables and reconnect another pair every time I want to record to my hard drive.

2. rontokyo

Hell-o. No one has a thought on this?

3. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Your profile does not list what your phono preamp is, so I can't comment on it specifically.

That said, the obvious question is: how does it sound to you? Does it sound different when only one is connected, as opposed to both?

From what I understand, the concern is that the phono pre would "see" an impedence that it was not designed to work with. IME, this sort of impedence mismatch leads to a loss of dynamics and a roll-off of the frequency extremes. If you are not having these problems, then you are probably OK.

John K.

4. rontokyo

Sorry, John, I've updated my profile. OK, from a Black Cube phono pre I'm splitting the signal [with Monster Y phono plug] to both my Cary amp and an Aardvark AD breakout box [which has mic pres to boost the signal] which connects digitally to the Aardvark computer card. Generally speaking, as the signal is split, am I compromising the sound in any way? I don't really *hear* a difference, but what concerns me is that there may be some degradation that I'm not *now* aware of but might become apparent later on as my ears "sharpen," so to speak.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.