[Spoiler Alert] "Sopranos" fans, ? about song at end of an episode

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ctE500, Jul 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ctE500

ctE500 Member Thread Starter

"Sopranos" fans, ? about song at end of an episode

In the episode where Janice blows away Richie, there is a song at the end of the episode (Tony and Carmela are sitting on the couch) with the line "... hey, hey I saved the world today..." Anyone know who does this?

2. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Eurythmics. From their recent reunion CD, Peace.

3. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

If you don't mind me intruding on your thread: Does anyone know the name of the song at the end of the episode that aired last week? Or--even better--is there a reliable website that lists these things?

L.

4. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

That's Bizarre

You know, I never watch that show. In fact I never watch any TV shows except that I watch Sex and The City with my wife and last Sunday we sat down to watch and we were a couple minutes early and I caught the credits to The Sopranos and I caught myself reading the credits to see if it mentioned who was doing the cool song I was hearing.
    Strange eh?
    Peace-
    Norm

5. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

The HBO/Sopranos website has listings for all the episodes that contain a synopsis of the plot along with songlists. Last week's episode, #25 "The Knight In White Satin Armor", included theses songs:

1. "Paris Suite" -- Marc Shaiman
    2. "I Saved The World Today" -- Annie Lennox
    3. "The Memory Remains"-- Metallica

For listings see: sopranos

audiotom likes this.
  6. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

I'm an avid fan of this show, and in particular, its use of music--used to follow the site listed above quite a bit. Anyone have the double-disc soundtrack? It's on SACD and I've been tempted, but it's pricey--usually around $32.

Speaking of HBO and music, anyone watching the Wire? Great theme--the Tom Waits track, Down in the Hole; used a cover of it by the Blind Boys of Alabama, and this season have been using Waits' original.

Steve Earle appeared in several episodes last season playing a recovering drug addict (obviously, not a stretch).

doug

7. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Thanks

David,

Thanks for the link. With a little surfing I found out that "John Genzale" is Johnny Thunders' original name. The track I was looking for ("You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory") is from "So Alone." Shame on me for not recognizing it right away!

L.

8. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Wire

I'm completely addicted to this show. One of the very best things I've ever seen on TV. "Homicide" to the tenth power.

L.

9. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

Lewis,

Yeah, I'm hooked, too--and was a big fan of Homicide; the Wire has so much more depth than almost anything else on TV; of course, HBO says they're not tv.

Entertainment Weekly had a small "plea" this week for HBO to put out the first season on DVD; it would sure help build audience for this season and what I would hope will be several more.

doug

10. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Doug,

Indeed! Long may it run.....

I would love to have a chance to see the first season again on DVD. I got hooked about halfway through it last year and then watched the whole thing during the rebroadcast, but some much happens in a given episode and the diaglogue is so fast and realistically played that it's easy to miss things. Lots of realistic overlap and unapologetic use of thick slang. I'm loving this season's elegiac approach to working life around the depressed port of Baltimore. My only complaint is that in this last episode there was a bit of regular network "message telegraphing" around the issue of the Russian prostitutes. As though the cops involved had no idea that this sort of thing happens all the time. The dialogue surrounding the investigation sounded too much like it was "for our benefit." Very unnnatural exposition and needless moral underlining (as though we need to be told that the way these women were treated was a BAD BAD thing!!!) I didn't mind Kima trying to use the awfulness of the crime as a way of getting her girlfriend to let her be with the police work, but she didn't have to drag us down to the port to look at containers and then deliever a lecture (at least not without explaining how or why they headed down there). I mean we (and Cheryl, too) know what those things look like, and we've read the papers.

But this is the first misstep the series has made I think so far. And it's a pretty small crime compared to, say, any given 40 minutes worth of "Judging Amy" or "Law and Order."

And Pablo Schreiber is doing an amazing job as Nick. In fact, all the new characters are great.

And, by the way, did you feel as kicked in the gut by this past Sunday's ending as I did??

L.

11. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Gorts, can we put a "spoiler alert" on this subject line? I'm currently watching "The Sopranos" run for the first time with the DVDs. Right now I'm in the second season with three episodes to go. I had no idea Janice wacked Richie. Until now.

12. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Brad: not to worry. The story line and build-up are still worth it.

13. AKA

AKA Senior Member

It's okay, I'm not too worried about it. I already knew ***** gets wacked at the end of the season and Livia (obviously) dies at the beginning of the third season, although Nancy Marchand passed away after the second season wrapped. Ah, the magic of CGI.

I'll still enjoy it. :cool: I just don't want it being spoiled for others.

14. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Get yourself one of the teeshirts that says "Big ***** Lives."

15. ctE500

ctE500 Member Thread Starter

Oh geez, that sucks, i'm sorry. Figured most folks had already seen the earlier seasons. It is still worth it though.

16. AKA

AKA Senior Member

:laugh:

That would go over well on Casual Friday.

No worries!

17. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

I always wondered why "I saved the world today" wasn't included on the soundtrack album. Every time I watch that episode I get the song stuck in my head. The song is on the Eurythmics "Peace" album.

18. JWB

JWB New Member

Re: That's Bizarre

WARNING: It's more addicitive than crack.

19. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I'm about fifteen minutes into episode 25 (with the engagement party), and I hear the Eurythmics playing in the background. Uh-oh. :D

I had to put the episode on pause to post this. That, and make a turkey sandwich.

20. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

We've discussed THE SOPRANOS before; wish we'd kept that thread going, it was quite a while ago.

HBO is the only pay cable channel worth a damn; I wouldn't keep it year-round if it weren't for THE SOPRANOS and SIX FEET UNDER, which is fairly wild itself, in a different fashion.

All I can say is, Brad, get to that 3rd Season ASAP. Just keep going, they all tend to flow together nicely. Since the 4th Season DVD set isn't due till the fall(and the start of the 5th season on HBO), suppose we should put a moratorium on any discussion of thatseason!:p

ED:cool:

21. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Ed,

I just got through the first quarter of Proshai, Livushka (Season 3, Episode 2). My one gripe is that the CGI Livia in that episode was awful. It reminded me of the scene in Home Alone where Macaulay tricks the pizza guy with an old cowboy movie. Way too many eye rolls and shrugs thrown in that mix, too. Livia had a sharper tongue than that! The conversation she and Tony had just didn't make sense. Not to mention that the editing was ****ty and Livia's head seemed a bit too small.

I know the producers were trying to do something innovative, but they shouldn't have bothered.

But, like I said, that's my only "Sopranos" gripe thus far.

22. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

I found that about the third time I viewed that episode I'd "adjusted" to her image. I know my first few times through it was like looking at a train wreck.

One of my favorite musical scenes is from Season 1 ep. 12 "Isabella" when the Tindersticks' "Tiny Tears" is used in a bathroom scene w/ Tony. The camera tilts angle to represent Tony's "disalignment" through the meds he's taking. It's just one of the MANY great musical moments on the show. Gotta love that "Peter Gunn"/"Every Breath You Take" hybrid. :thumbsup:

23. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Yes! That was genius!

24. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

Yeah, I did--but the side-long shot of the guy next to him and his mom during their exchange when he once and for all declared his independence didn't bode well.

And I'd have to say it doesn't look good for the wreckless labor bosses' son--they've been in over their heads for a while.

doug

25. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Possible Spoiler alert!!! [The Wire]

Doug,

I'm sorry to continue this probable thread jacking, but it's nice to talk to someone who's been watching this series! I think you're right about old Ziggy. I have a bad feeling that McNulty is going to be pulling another corpse out of the water some time soon..... After all, they've got to find some way of drawing him back into the case now that he's given up trying to find out who the russion woman was.

L.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.