SPOILERS Genesis - The Last Domino? Tour SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sconcho, Sep 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Collins sounds very dodgy in those clips but seeing him do the tambourine dance in his 'lift and tilt' chair would be worth the price of admission alone !

2. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Sad to see PC looking so frail and sadly sounding frail too....I saw them in 1980 and they were tremendous. I hate to say it but I'm not sure this tour is justifiable on any level -yes the components are all there in terms of set, light show and probably even arrangements but when the focal point is clearly not well I'm not sure it has much point.

Eric242, anduandi, Purple and 6 others like this.
  3. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

How about the fact that other people share a different view on it than you? Wouldn’t that make it justifiable?

4. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Absolutely. However the point of these forums is debate. How you articulate your opinion is important. We are looking at a very frail man who is struggling badly to contribute anything of worth to the legacy of a great band. My personal opinion is someone should have been brave enough to say this isn't going to work. Do you think it is justifiable? And if so why?

5. Calling All Stations

Calling All Stations Forum Resident

The way I see it, Phil gets a chance to tour again with his son, his good friends Tony Mike and Daryl, and be a part of a band that has given us so many memorable moments of music and performances. Mix in a state-of-the-art light and video show and it makes sense to me.

I can completely understand those who will pass on seeing the show, but I’d go in a heartbeat if the band added any shows in my area. And IMO Phil won’t tarnish anything regarding his legacy. I saw him solo on 3 tours including his most recent where he also sat in the chair and he’s still a legend to me no matter what.

6. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Agreed. Stage set looks amazing. I rather remember Phil from the 07 tour when he was still mobile and playing the kit. More power to him for continuing though. I don’t think he is tarnishing any legacy. And he sounds solid enough that when at the show it’s probably good

7. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Forum Resident

The earth moved for me when watching the YouTubes of the first concert.

Unfortunately this was because Melbourne was hit by a magnitude 6 earthquake.

8. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Which song *was* this after all?!?

Calling All Stations likes this.
  9. Calling All Stations

I think it’s Second Home by the Sea. Months ago I was guessing it was the Squonk creature!

Brother_Rael likes this.
  10. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

Sat right behind phil's kit behind the stage in 1986 in a small arena hard to top that.

Nic is drumming great though! Gotta say they're sounding good

11. Calling All Stations

Crowd is slowly beginning to form for tonight's show in Birmingham (Night # 3 .... Wednesday 9.22.2021):

[​IMG]

Login • Instagram

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  12. Calling All Stations

13. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

When even most in the arena focus on giant screens during a performance, the main impact of Phil being seated (in a band in which Tony always performs seated, Steve usually performed seated, and Mike at times performed seated) is that it is easier for him to be seen in close up on the screens at all times when performing from a seated position rather than cameras having to follow him around.

And him not being able to drum has a very limited impact on the show, as he has only drummed for about 10% of each show for the last 45 years. As far as drumming the biggest change is the loss of Chester Thompson - though it seems nobody is faulting the job Phil's son is doing.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    supernaut likes this.
  14. Calling All Stations

Photos of the stage and more during soundcheck this afternoon (from a class of music students)...

[​IMG]

Login • Instagram

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    Ulli and ponkine like this.
  15. Calling All Stations

16. doity

doity Forum Resident

Doesn’t sound too bad at all really. But I have to believe that without the backup singers it would be a train wreck. The band sounds like it hasn’t lost a step.

anduandi, gabbleratchet7 and Galeans like this.
  17. Calling All Stations

[​IMG]

Showtime !!

supernaut and ponkine like this.
  18. Ignominious

Ignominious Knock and Know All!

You were required to be double vaccinated or have an up to date PCR/antigen test to be able to gain access to the venue so why shouldn't some element of life return to 'normal'? Plenty of people wearing masks in the audience as well

19. Calling All Stations

20. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Thanks for the reply. So, I understand of course, the desire to "get back to normal" and I have a choice of going to see Steve Hackett in Edinburgh this week and Fish in Glasgow in November. And great to hear that people are wearing masks too.

By the same token, I also understand that the vaccine doesn't prevent anyone from getting the virus, but that it lessens its impact if you get it. I also understand that the numbers of Covid cases in schools across the UK are rocketing, hospitals are maxed out (again) at numbers we didn't see this time last year.

For me, if I get a bad dose of it - and I'm doubly jagged with the Pfizer vaccine - I'm f**ked financially as the last 18 months were crippling for me and my company (now defunct). There's a fine balance here and I think we're in for a very difficult winter.

So why shouldn't some element of life return to normal? No reason at all. Equally, 15,000 in an arena show in a country seeing over 30,000 new infections a day, with the added pressures that brings on the NHS - and if that breaks, we're shafted - doesn't seem to me to be a return to normal that 's a necessary return to normal at this very moment in time. You may of course disagree and that's fine. This is just my view.

21. Calling All Stations

22. Ignominious

Ignominious Knock and Know All!

I understand your view and this is where a balance has to be found as we need to find a way to live with this virus.I'm also sorry to hear about the demise of your business and the financial impact it has had for you personally. If the NHS can't cope then we will have to lockdown again but covid-related deaths are much lower than those due to cancer, heart attack and even flu. As we 'unlock' society then infections will obviously increase. We also need to think about the populations' mental health as a result of being locked down and factor in of the impact delays in diagnosing cancer for example as it is nigh on impossible to see a GP face to face currently. Lord knows what the nation's dental health is like as well as a result of the impact on the profession.

23. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Think Covid hospitalisations in UK are at about 1/4 of peak times currently.

John Hatter, superstar19 and Purple like this.
  24. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I would understand and support a government decision to lock things down or limit attendance.
    Barring that, I don't think the live music industry - employing tons of people who have been out of work for 18 months - should feel any obligation to take on the governments role of safeguarding people by shutting itself down.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  25. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

The pressure on the NHS has nothing to do with covid. The decimation of the NHS started with Virginia Bottemley in 1992. Before then the NHS would have dealt with covid, or anything else, in a heartbeat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.