Spotify Is An Enemy of Sustainable Arts

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rosskolnikov, Mar 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Why are you on a music forum if there are other, more interesting things you do???

2. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

That echoes my sentiments about the whole thing - and any more screen time in my life is not convenient, in my opinion.

That said, I don't dive deep into liner notes while listening. I might take a cursory glance, especially if it's a jazz recording and don't know all the musicians off the top of my head. Sometimes, if it's the back of an old LP, I get a kick out of the writing style, and how the music was described/analyzed when it was new, but usually after the side's over.

3. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

This is reasonable, but nuanced. I’m a music fan first, but sound quality is supremely important to increased enjoyment of the experience. My gear is what it is, not the most expensive “golden ears” reviewed on the market, but it’s pretty darn good and very satisfying given my tastes. I’m not an LP collector, but I have an intense liking for early CDs that were mastered or remastered before the so-called loudness wars.

Some of those are the absolute best sounding versions to my ears. For instance, Beatles Abbey Road earliest pre-emphasis Japanese CD (Odeon), Pink Floyd DSoTM Japanese (Harvest black face pressing), Rush s/t (1st Canadian Anthem label), etc., etc. Are these masterings available on streaming services? Perhaps, but doubtful.

Could I listen to these classics and many others on Spotty-Fi or other streaming service? Sure, but assuming these are crappy masterings that “claim” to be the best or most current, would the experience be as enjoyable? Of course not! Quantity definitely is NOT the same thing as quality. Mileage certainly varies, but one’s ears knows the difference.

:cheers:
    Cat

4. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

So, it *is* about having a mental condition. "Sentimentality and ritual."

5. NettleBed

Completely and totally false. The listening experience is exactly the same.

The other stuff can done by looking up Discogs. Done and done.

Now go clean out your shelves.

schnitzerphilip likes this.
  6. PhoenixWoman

PhoenixWoman Forum Resident

It's hard to take generalizations like this seriously on this board. "Nobody"..really?? Do you work for a streaming service or online provider or have some other vested interest in pushing people toward the current mainstream technologies?

7. NettleBed

I think it's fair to say that the vast majority don't, and less people do than used to.

This isn't exactly forum to find lots of that group, though.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    bpmd1962 and Hermes like this.
  8. PhoenixWoman

That is correct. But the choice still exists. And there are those here who seem to want people not to make a different choice than they do. Or, god forbid, to choose both streaming and physical media. I don't think I'm the only one here who will be very disappointed if someday there is no choice and all we have left are crappy MP3s for everything in the name of Convenience.

Lownote30 likes this.
  9. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

The CD is the device holding the music so it can be the platform for presentation of a preferred mastering. Collecting the CD means you have chosen a given presentation of the music. Buying and selling has nothing to do with the quality of the presentation. The capitalism involved is just a reflection of the desirability of that particular mastering.

The only thing which should be out of fashion is the arrogance of bullies trying to dictate everyone’s listening tastes based on their narrow perception of how people are listening to music. Crop dusting posts doesn’t make one’s arguments more persuasive, just more annoying.

Just my opinion, your mileage will obviously vary. :tiphat:

:cheers:
    Cat

10. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

That same group which is classed here as "nobody" though ... never did. Not that many people ever owned hi-tec audio equipment, at best they'd purchase a cheap all-in-one because they pretty much had to but as soon as you could get those cheap CD boomboxes that was what everyone used. In fact it's what I used during my uni days and shortly afterwards and I genuinely didn't realise how much I was missing out on until I bought some separates and speakers. People don't. Most people don't care about sound. Most people now are happy to stick their iphone on some portable speakers in a kitchen or just play through the iphone speakers if necessary. Even my girlfriend does this and she's generally into interesting artists more than most. People get lazy, though.

People here do need to accept that their hobby is a niche one.

11. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

You presumably have a tube amp and high end turntable in your kitchen?

12. Lownote30

When was this hobby not a niche one? Even when people commonly had component systems, they weren't exactly great most of the time. My parents never had the best system in the house when I was a kid. I did. Even when those boomboxes came out that you speak of, I had a portable CD player and a good set of headphones instead for portability. May the niche hobby continue. If it was a tiny niche, we wouldn't have blu-ray audio, 5.1 surround and other things that are still being produced. The record companies don't manufacture those things just for the small group here. If they couldn't bring in money from them, they wouldn't make them at all.

Rocky's Owner likes this.
  13. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Don't you know that McDonald's being the most popular restaurant means most people don't care about the taste of food?

14. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

My point being that's when people listen to music, as something to do while they cook, and that's pretty much it.

15. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

If you think that most working class people appreciate fine dining then you're very mistaken.

16. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

Aren't you arguing what I am? Yes, clearly somebody is buying these £2,000 amps because they continue to produce and sell new ones and attempt to better the technology, but I think percentage wise of the actual population it's quite small and definitely non-existent if you look at the working classes. The working classes, however, have probably embraced streaming on a fairly large scale.

17. PhoenixWoman

If most people, working class or otherwise, don't "appreciate" fine dining it isn't because of the taste. Similarly, if most people don't "appreciate" better quality audio it isn't because of the sound.

But why should I or anyone else on this forum care how most people consume food or music?

18. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

Completely agree.

But y'know, I've long lost count of the amount of people I've tried to convince to eat an olive or try a bottle of wine that is t in the lowest price bracket. People don't care, they like what they know, not what some snob is telling them that they should.

19. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

This is a very weird use of the term "mental condition". You're painting with such a broad brush that you've reduced the term to being meaningless. Is posting on this forum a "mental condition"? Is liking one thing over another a "mental condition"? If liking blondes over brunettes a "mental condition"? Sorry, I find your response - if it's not failed humor - peculiar. :D

20. Lownote30

I am semi-agreeing with you. I don't think the percentage is as small as you do. The companies that make the higher end components and audio formats wouldn't profit if there were only a tiny fraction of customers. I know a number of them here in Nashville who don't belong to this forum. The working class that I've seen here in recent times still listen to terrestrial radio rather than streaming. They can barely afford a functioning smart phone, and if they can afford a car, it's old and still has a CD player. I see way more used and beat up cars than I do brand new ones. That's life in the U.S. these days. There really isn't a middle class.

21. PhoenixWoman

I'm well aware of this, even if personally I'd go nuts limiting myself to only the things that I already know. And I don't actually care if someone else chooses to keep doing what they're been doing for umpteen years as long as they don't ruin my experience of choosing something else or tell me I'm a snob for exercising my choice. I'm stunned that I actually have to make this point on this forum.

Lownote30 likes this.
  22. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

You really need to stop generalizing. You also need to find new friends. Oh, and start hanging out with different people. Apparently. :p

Lownote30 likes this.
  23. Lownote30

Liking olives or wine doesn't make one a snob. Not liking these things doesn't make one uncultured, or not in the know. My wife loves both. I can't stand either, and it isn't because I don't know about them. I don't like the taste. I don't like McDonald's either.

24. Lownote30

I'm stunned, too. We should all be able to listen to music the way we want to (or any other thing for that matter) and not have to worry about people trying to convince us to change the way we do it.

HotelYorba101 and PhoenixWoman like this.
  25. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

If you liked food you'd necessarily like olives. Just as if you liked music you'd definitely love The Beatles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.