Spotify Is An Enemy of Sustainable Arts

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rosskolnikov, Mar 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Bandcamp, Spotify, Snapchat.

Those are the big six, and I would say that - at least - any four out of those six are in the social media arsenal of the even the most "local" weekender band who still takes what they do seriously.

PhantomStranger and TonyCzar like this.
  2. cdnostalgia

cdnostalgia Forum Resident

Even a weekender bander would want to use all 7 as they have different demographics at their core user base.

Kik, YouTube, VEVO, Whatsapp (for connecting with other bands and knowing people in the right circles) are also essential.

overdrivethree likes this.
  3. overdrivethree

Lol, got me before I fixed it from seven to six.

But yes, there are more and more platforms that are supposed to make it "easier" but I think just adds to a workload that goes beyond writing songs, booking shows, recording and sending your music out for promotion/review.

The other bug up my rear I have about all of this is it's tricky when you're an introvert. Extrovert, love attention? Then you'll love mastering all of these social media platforms promoting yourself and your work. But if it doesn't come naturally - putting on a "charming" face with the right filter or 140 characters, then it makes you want to give up and record to a damn wax cylinder.

4. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Suzanne Vega (IIRC) commented once that, (paraphrased) despite appearances and image, there are no shy introverts on one's record store shelf.

5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

You're welcome and I was nice enough not to call you an idiot as well. This is why people love me. :)

6. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

For a lot of stuff, me too. But other stuff, I don't care that much. I bought some things that I did not listen to that much simply because it didn't stand the test of time for me and I added up all the money spent on items like that I'd probably get a couple of years of Spotify out of it :)

People assign value to their activities differently. The freedom of not having stuff, not having to deal with downloaded content, putting it on a player, etc is worth a lot to some, very little to others. It's all personal preference.

7. zen

zen Senior Member

Never used Spotify. No interest there.

Fun saying those two words back to back. Thanks.

MortSahlFan and Fishoutofwater like this.
  8. overdrivethree

Creating and expression are one thing. Putting on your hat to do business and shake hands is definitely another.

Perhaps cultivating your social media following is no different than face time with label execs, radio people, etc back in the good old days.

TonyCzar likes this.
  9. jackinbox

jackinbox Forum Resident

It's worth mentioning here that Apple is not fighting the 44% increase in royalties.

Billy Infinity and Timmy84 like this.
  10. cdnostalgia

cdnostalgia Forum Resident

Why would they be? They sell music downloads, they stand to gain if streaming dies.

11. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

It's interesting to me that the record companies haven't started their own streaming services in the same way that has been done by television/movie production companies in the streaming video realm. It's also interesting that Spotify et al. haven't become content creators like video streaming services like Amazon and Netflix have.

Anyway, most people simply no longer value music and don't consider it something that should be paid for. I find it strange that the same logic doesn't apply to video streaming. But at the end of the day, people don't want to pay for stuff as a general rule.

12. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Doesn't seem to apply to newspapers and other dead-tree industries either. They totally missed the WWW boat 20+ years ago. Now newspapers are simply loss-leaders and tax writeoffs for billionaires like Jeff Bezos and Carlos Slim.

Technology has no reverse gear. Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

13. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

The main issue I have with streaming is that it will soon replace physical media completely.

When the option to NOT pay for music once is removed (i.e., when physical media is phased out), folks will have no other choice than to rent it in perpetuity.

Sadly, judging from Sony's recent decisions to stop licensing music to reissue labels and to issue catalog items digitally only, it appears that physical media and streaming cannot peacefully co-exist because one has been deemed so much more profitable than the other.

The other issue I have is that I just can't get interested in paying for something ephemeral. I think it's largely a generational thing (paying for things vs. "experiences").

rockstarFotog likes this.
  14. jackinbox

jackinbox Forum Resident

Amazon sells music downloads too, but they are fighting this royalty increase.

Also, Apple has been on the verge of shutting down their download store for some time now. It keeps getting put off, but it will happen at some point.

An Apple Executive Says iTunes Music Downloads Will Be Shut Down

TonyCzar likes this.
  15. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

I’d ask what is your experience, but I suspect it’s not worth much. I could be wrong, but I’m thinking not. I’m guessing you work outdoors a lot, without the benefit of electricity.

16. I think it's just a matter of time before the labels do their own thing. They're slow adaptors when it comes to technology (well, in the last 20 years or so) but once it becomes easy for them / the road is clearly laid out I have a feeling they will.

Great point on Spotify etc. not being content creators - something I hadn't considered but it's a pretty good idea!

17. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Well, they are creators... just of a different kind:

The Secret Hit-Making Power of the Spotify Playlist
    https://thebaffler.com/salvos/the-problem-with-muzak-pelly

BTW, Spotify try (tried?) the old-school way too:

Spotify Offers Managers, Artists Advances to License Music Directly to Its Streaming Service: Exclusive

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  18. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

I llisten to FM radio every day in my car

nytechy likes this.
  19. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Yeah, the City of London is one big yard, and I mow the lawn all day. Sometimes I pick up litter.

I'm curious, what size company are you working for, and in what sector?

Or perhaps we have different definitions of what constitutes "paperless"?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    LivingForever likes this.
  20. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

jay.dee likes this.
  21. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Hell ive dropped aprx $200 just this :help:month

I need help...is there a music buyers a anonymous club :help:

22. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

The City, you say? I've worked for three investment banks there, and hedge funds and commodity traders in Chicago. They were all paperless. If you are working in the finance industry, which is what working in the City implies, you are paperless as well, and it's bizarre to claim otherwise. Unless your definition of paperless is that even if 99% of record-keeping and communications is electronic, an occasional mailed letter means it's not paperless. Some people do hold that opinion, but not anyone I take seriously.

nytechy likes this.
  23. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

So you are implying that FM radio is alive and well full of great human DJs that speak and play music w/o any forced playlists? I don't think so. Sure I can hear Led Zeppelin all day long - but I want real radio - with a real DJ. No such thing.

jackinbox likes this.
  24. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

Sorry, but this statement is nonsense. Why write any music at all then?

rockstarFotog likes this.
  25. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

That is a good point and I suspect Spotify and other streaming platforms have barely touched the surface with respect to what they will do in the future with content. At some point, most of the market is going to be on Spotify, Apple, Amazon, and other services and they will probably diversify and expand operations. Just look at what Sirius and Pandora are planning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.