Spotify vs. Apple Music vs. No Streaming At All

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by schnitzerphilip, Nov 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Spotify has been great so far. I use it in combination with my 12k+ song filled iPod that has my music library with all my favorite masterings on it

I have discovered so many great new artists by having the ability to access good sounding versions of those albums instantly. It is great for access to songs whenever I have to learn them for gigs or for teaching with my guitar students as well. And just having a tool to access such a catalogue of music on the go in general has been just pure fun. Well worth the simple and easy 10 bucks a month

schnitzerphilip and juss100 like this.
  2. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

I’ve used both. Being a Mac user, I eventually gravitated towards Apple Music for ease of compatibility. That being said, I thought Spotify had a better/wider selection of music, but I just hated the interface - I found it clunky and not intuitive to use. Apple Music definitely has its share of foibles and flaws, but I vastly prefer the functionality of it.

3. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

None, no streaming. Mostly engaged in home listening. Prefer the enjoyment of listening to collected physical media that’s well mastered and involving. I rarely listen to background or mood music and have little interest in interacting with artificial intelligence. While appreciating the convenience advocates ascribe to streaming for travel, it can never replace a well integrated home stereo system.

:cheers:
    Cat

zphage and Rocky's Owner like this.
  4. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

Same. I think this is emblematic of the ignorance surrounding how streaming services work. Who exclusively uses them to let the service choose their music for them? Seriously?

5. Rocky's Owner

Rocky's Owner I Don't Rent Air

I also don't stream because I find it unethical that artists are paid so little, $.006 a stream, or less. And it was alleged in a lawsuit that Spotify was using tens of thousands of songs without a license or compensation. It was also alleged that over 20 percent of the 30 million songs on Spotify were unlicensed.

Spotify Receives $1.6 Billion Copyright LawSuit

Hokeyboy, akmonday and R. Cat Conrad like this.
  6. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Right, I have been using Spotify and only have either picked my own music or played curated playists that actual people I interact with online or friends have made.

Billy Infinity and BeatleJWOL like this.
  7. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Not every CD, but tons of them for $1.99 (or less) over in Joisey.

8. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award Thread Starter

I have a few Prince CD singles from the 80's and early 90's that had unique mixes, but since then they've all be absorbed and repackaged in greatest hits and anthology type releases.

9. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

... we came in?

Isn't this where...

10. schnitzerphilip

May I ask what cellular provider you are using and how old your phone is?

I ask because in my family also living in the NYC Metro area we use AT&T and Verizon on iPhones all less than 3 years old and have rock-solid connectivity, we never lose a signal, ever.

11. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I used to subscribe to both, but ultimately just kept Spotify. I just liked the interface better, I liked the way you could share playlists easier...finding hundreds of them posted on the net. However, they both lack one HUGE feature that drives me crazy. If you use shuffle mode a lot (like I do), you want certain songs to play together no matter what. For example, the Abbey Road medley, or Dark Side Of The Moon. There are pieces of music that are just meant to be connected...and never hacked apart. Neither of these programs allows the user to distinguish which tracks should always play connected with other tracks while in shuffle mode. Now, iTunes used to have this feature....not sure about it now that’s its split apart....but, that has nothing to do with Apple Music. This feature is sorely missed in all streaming programs IMHO.

12. Rocky's Owner

Well yeah Amoeba has tons of $1.99 CDs but most of them are not good titles.

13. schnitzerphilip

Something I've always wondered- how does one with a vintage stereo setup connect a streaming device to his system?

Do you use the headphone jack? Some sort of USB (or Lightning) to RCA adapter? A wireless Bluetooth adapter?

I'm hoping we streamers or streamer-curious can have good conversation without the topic of artist compensation coming up. Fingers crossed.

14. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

My gf does. She's a normal person who just wants music on while working/driving/cooking/cleaning/etc. We have a couple of Sonos speakers...I almost always put on a specific album, but she'll just put on Amazon or Spotify "artist radio" things, and it works for her.

It's not really my thing, I almost always seek out a specific album or playlist, or shuffle my personal library, but the key takeaway is that there's no one way (or right or wrong way) to use the services to listen to music, and certainly nothing within any of those apps that "forces" you to do anything a certain way.

LivingForever and Hokeyboy like this.
  15. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

There's plenty of ways. Bluetooth is one, you can also get something like a Sonos Connect: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/connect.html

16. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Streaming is an existential compromise.

ukrules likes this.
  17. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Point taken, it depends entirely on the CD. Not every CD retains good value, the same holds true for LPs. Sought after CDs and LPs of note due to rarity or mastering are still prized by collectors and audiophiles alike. Any cursory search for rare used/new CDs and LP pressings on Discogs bears this out, some titles being sold for many hundreds of dollars. Of course bargains can be found in used bins too, ...on rare occasion for as little as $1.99.

In some cases I’m sure it would be cheaper to stream, but the question would always come back to sound quality.

:cheers:
    Cat

18. Rocky's Owner

impalaboy likes this.
  19. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

This is why I use Google. I have way too many vinyl rips, boots, leaks, etc that aren’t available to stream that I want to access at all times. It lets me utilize both the general streaming library and my own collection. I’ve never used an algorithm or curated playlists for anything. Streaming is just the most convenient way for me to hear what I want when I’m not at home.

20. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Cheap, but the more interesting and collectible are from the UK, which ups the price for Americans (Brexit helps).

schnitzerphilip likes this.
  21. Paul Rymer

Paul Rymer Forum Resident

I use Apple Music - have done since before iTunes Match - mainly to organise my music library as I listen to a lot of music that isn't on the streaming sites , or at least available to stream in the UK (Japanese artists). I still buy physical CDs and vinyl by artists I follow, but less than I used to. I use Apple Music to stream new albums and sometimes then go on to buy them to ensure I have the music forever. The issue I have with the streaming services is albums randomly coming and going due to licensing issues - if I love an album I want to keep it, and also have it in the best quality possible. I use wireless headphones when out so the quality is fine - you can't yet properly stream real HD music to wireless. I also have a Home Pod for the kitchen/diner but mainly have radio stations playing in there as I like talk radio a lot.

coffeetime and schnitzerphilip like this.
  22. PitreVert

PitreVert Active Member

I use Spotify a lot at work and in the car. Most easy way to listen to records I don't know but read about here for example.
    But with one caveat : a stupid queue system. I still can't understand how someone could have so badly designed this simple feature.

At home, I prefer listen to my ripped cd collection from my NAS (local streaming).

23. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Assuming a modern release and a lossless streaming service, there would be no sound quality differences.

But I still purchase what I like / what want to keep around for the long term.

24. impalaboy

impalaboy Forum Resident

I've tried Amazon streaming a few times but they seem to play the same artists over and over again and the volume level from song to song is all over the place. Glad I've still got my 2000+ CD collection!

Rocky's Owner likes this.
  25. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

That's not a problem over here.

Sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.