Springsteen Live 1975-85 box 5 lp

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by count.d, Dec 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. count.d

count.d Senior Member Thread Starter

This was originally released in 1986. Then they digitally remastered it in 1990.

Which one is best to buy and from which country is the best pressing?

On vinyl.

2. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Were the Lps remastered? I don't believe they were. The whole thing was originally digitally mixed and edited from what I remember.

The basic rule of thumb is the country of origin produces the best LPs, but that's an often broken rule. But personally I'd look for the US version.

My parents got me the cassettes for Christmas 1986. The CDs were sold out. Wish they'd gotten me the vinyl instead, but we were really into CDs at the time. Oh well. Sorry, I digress...
    Dan C

3. dwmann

dwmann Well-Known Member

Live 1975-85 was digitally mastered from the (mostly) original analog sources. Both the original box and the CDs have a slightly digital sound. If you're looking for vinyl, the original US pressings were excellent.

4. Ben

Ben New Member

...and very plentiful on eBay for cheap!

5. peter

peter Senior Member

I have UK vinyl on this title and it is fantastic. Even though this LP was well recorded/mastered/pressed here in the U.S. and done quite well too, that UK vinyl always seems to have an edge for me. Try also a UK Tunnel of Love LP. Excellent!

6. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

My vinyl box sounds very good. I've never heard the CD version but the records are great...

Todd

7. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

I always thought there was something a little odd about this set - on both CD and lp (for similar, but not identical reasons).

In a few instances on the lp, songs that had short pauses between them on the CD, including a few that were almost lightning fast transitions, had extended applause inserted on them for fade up's and fade out's to accommodate side breaks. Now, this may just be a personal preference as I never owned the vinyl - but these spots seemed better "paced" on the CD.

On the other hand, the CD has a couple of spots where tracks end with the applause fading to silence, with the next track fading in to applause. These happen in the middle of the CD. I would understand if this happened to approximate the side breaks, but on so many other spots the sides breaks were blended. It was almost as if they didn't know which way they wanted to go.

8. count.d

count.d Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks chaps.

9. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Yea, plus, they used a trigger on Max Wienbergs snare drum. That sound you hear ISNT his snare drum, its a drum sample triggered by his.

I HATE that@!@

10. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was

I've recently "rediscovered" the original 1985 12" CD box set (as in I hadn't played it for several years!) and I'm quite enjoying it. It does have a "digitial" or clinical kind of feel to the mastering...but it is listenable to my ears.:)

11. The Cellar

The Cellar New Member

The album is designed to be listened to in three "sets" --

Set 1: "Thunder Road" - "Raise Your Hand"

Set 2: "Hungry Heart" - "Reason to Believe"

Set 3: "Born in the U.S.A." - "Jersey Girl"

Out of the three formats on which the album was originally released, the cassette edition has the best breaks; each tape ends with the last song on each set. The problem with the odd breaks in the CD edition lies with set 3, which is over 84 minutes long. They could have put sets 1 and 2 on each of two CDs, but set 3 would obviously not have fit on one disc. The CD edition therefore, by necessity, adds more breaks where there needs to be a disc change, but retained the fade-outs and fade-ins that indicate where one set ends and the next one begins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.