Springsteen's Letter To You thread (second try)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FingerPickin'Triumph, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

There Goes My Miracle was a good choice as a single, imho.

2. FingerPickin'Triumph

FingerPickin'Triumph Forum Resident Thread Starter

So much of this record I really can't wait to one day I hope hear it live in concert with thousands of screaming fans. The fact that we have no idea when tours and shows and can resume makes this record even more powerful.

Two full listens in .. the standouts
    the combo of Burnin Train and Janey Needs a Shooter was so good
    Rainmaker - powerful lyrics and great chorus
    Ghosts
    Song for Orphans
    If I was the Priest
    I'll See you in My Dreams (book ends with track 1 One Minute You're Here)... the end of I'll See you in My Dreams when the music fades and Springsteens sings almost unadorned.. amazing
    Last Man Standing
    House of a Thousand Guitars is growing on me..

Only average - Power of Prayer (hope its a grower)

If this isn't the best recorded Springsteen record in ages....

Lastly - maybe it is because the last full on East Street record - Magic - I kept thinking of that record. I need to go back and give it a listen.. I remember loving that record.. Burnin Train reminded me of Gypsy Biker - maybe just because of the two guitar solos.

Anyway - excited to keep listening and reading everyone's hot takes on Letter to You.

dee, ries, Sav and 1 other person like this.
  3. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Bruce sure rides a lot of trains and runs into a lot of guys with buckskin clothing.

4. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

We? It is a great album.

5. Claudio Dirani

My review is exactly the other way round regarding TPOP and HOTG. I'm much more biased to Prayer's.

6. Claudio Dirani

Also, at first listen, I didn't go that much for Letter To You, the single.
    Now it's been growing on me on and on.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  7. Claudio Dirani

I've got a question regarding Apple TV. Can I watch Letter To You if I rent the film through my PC?
    thanks

8. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

Same here
    I’d rather keep the Russians at arm’s length for the sake of a week

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  9. Ellen1014

Ellen1014 Forum Resident

As many will know, this is 'out there' already.

I will firmly stand by my stance that this isn't from 4 day sessions in November last year. I would stand by saying that all this wasn't recorded in this century though.

10. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I wasn't optimistic, but I think this is pretty good. "The Power of Prayer" is cornball and I'm still on the fence about the three old songs, especially "Song for Orphans" (not a bad song but still a pretty horrible title that makes a new listener expect "We Are the World"). My favorite version of "Song for Orphans" is probably the live version from 2005 that the Springsteen camp released last year and it blows away the new version with the E Street Band. The other 8 songs are good and I'm sure I'll learn to like one or two of the new recordings of the old songs because they're not necessarily bad, just inferior to what's already out there.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    Rockford & Roll likes this.
  11. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I'm very much a music first person...Bruce could be singing about eating nachos and I'd be fine with it as long as the music is interesting and the band is cookin', but man, I just can't with "The Power Of Prayer." Too much awkward. :sigh:

musicaner likes this.
  12. gazzaa2

gazzaa2 Forum Resident

Broadway/Western Stars/Letter to You is a good late career high and trilogy from an artist whose been active for nearly 50 years in the mainstream.

carlwm and Rockford & Roll like this.
  13. gazzaa2

gazzaa2 Forum Resident

10 of them are, 2 aren't.

14. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

couldnt make it thru a second listen just cant make it thru HOATG.
    have you heard HOATG?
    A lot of the songs sound as if the lyrics were forced into the music which makes me think that the poster who claims the tunes originated way back in the day may be onto something.

15. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Besides "Nebraska", I contend this IS easily his best since BITUSA. I felt the same about "Western Stars". This is a major late career one-two punch from Bruce after many mediocre albums.

carlwm, xj32, OptimisticGoat and 2 others like this.
  16. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Yea, I wasn't optimistic. But this sounds solid so far, Rainmaker seems to stand out now at the halfway point.

17. gazzaa2

gazzaa2 Forum Resident

I love the remakes of the 70s tunes. They really stand out from first listen.

I love these songs anyway so to have these versions on a studio album is great.

dee, Jimmy B. and Rockford & Roll like this.
  18. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Yeah, I've heard the whole thing. That song feels a bit forced, but at least I can get behind it thematically...a little awkward, but doesn't bother me that much. Just the prayer one.

19. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

To each their own I guess. I find that song incredibly moving, especially in light of current situations. Hearing that live someday is going to be a journey!

carlwm likes this.
  20. Jesus Jeronimo

Jesus Jeronimo Forum Resident

Same here. In light of current events, I find the song to be pretty poignant.

J

carlwm likes this.
  21. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Since LTY really is the new Magic (which I like just a tad better, but I think the two albums are very comparable), I'd be really pleased if they follow it up with the new Working on a Dream-- Something less weighty, more casual, ultimately less good but still a real enjoyable one to put in context. Of course they'd need a way to do it virtually.

22. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

The title song certainly has a Magic feel to it. Looking forward to the official release next week.

To me, more realistic hype would read: We should all be as good at our jobs when we’re 71 as Bruce is at his.

High praise, but it eliminates the fallacy of comparing LTY against his classic period.

carlwm likes this.
  23. Ellen1014

Ellen1014 Forum Resident

Thank you for the info but where does it come from?

24. gazzaa2

gazzaa2 Forum Resident

The documentary

25. Ellen1014

Ellen1014 Forum Resident

Bruce and Bruce Inc. have been known to lie in the last 48 years. But thank you for the info.

Jimmy B. and musicaner like this.