Springsteen's Letter To You thread (second try)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FingerPickin'Triumph, Oct 13, 2020.

1. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

it was a bootleg. a bootleg by any other name is a bootleg.

he had that song Santa Ana, dont remember if that was Tracks but that stuff was verbose and not very good.
    Its not a coincidence that none of it made the first album.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  2. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

It’s times like these I’m grateful for the ignore feature in this forum, I recommend we all enact it now.

kevywevy, NunoBento, adm62 and 7 others like this.
  3. pacman68

pacman68 Forum Resident

It doesn't matter what the lyrics are. He's sings that line with so much conviction, tone and pain. I mean She Love You Yeah Yeah Yeah are terrible words but the way John and Paul sing that song it sounds like freaking Shakespeare.

And I don't know how anyone cannot listen to Jenny Needs A Shooter, If I Were A Priest, Song For Orphans, Burning Train, One Minute and Rainmaker and not think that they are good songs for a 72 years old guy who made his first record in 1973.

DME1061, HarvG, Jimmy B. and 3 others like this.
  4. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

She Love You Shakespeare?
    I always found most of the early Beatles stuff cheesy and cutesy. Not something I listen to much.

tone and pain and convinction about the Estreet Band. Last doc (WS) no Estreet band at all.

5. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

Played it this evening. At the end, Mrs Seabass, who had half listened to its previous outings and doesn’t know much Bruce, enquired if he’s always this religious?

There does seem to be more biblical etc allusions than in most of his stuff. Age?

Does he talk about this anywhere?

6. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

I think he's always had some religious imagery, themes running thru songs , don't see this one as necessarily having more.
    Catching up on today's posts and thinking -Anyone is free to not like this album but once you voice that opinion why would you stick around to continue to pan it and the artist ? Pointless waste of time.

7. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Agree completely with you. I can't imagine most of his fans not approving of these. But I have a friend who doesn't think he did anything good since Tunnel of Love. I told her those that were open to it could find plenty of very good songs since.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  8. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Very strong catholic upbringing

NunoBento likes this.
  9. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Oh, he’ll keep you going for eons if you let him.
    I always check out his posts so I can laugh at them.
    :—)

SlimLee likes this.
  10. As Springsteen wrote many years ago, "it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive".

NunoBento likes this.
  11. FingerPickin'Triumph

FingerPickin'Triumph Forum Resident Thread Starter

Tonight's Stand Up for Heroes special.. Springsteen and Patti performed "House of a Thousand Guitars" at the 25:15 mark, "Long Walk Home" (no Patti) at 42:34 and ended the night with "I'll See you in My Dreams" (with Patti) at 55:45

Great performances.

12. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

Why so prominent in this album, though? It’s really more noticeable than in any other I’m aware of. (Ok, I know there’s Cain and Promised Land)

13. mike_mike

mike_mike neurodiverse

The address heard between the two songs is wildly different.

It falls between "you", or us, and "I", which is him.

Springsteen had been the most excellent chronicler of the toll neoliberalism has wrought on the US, but his work has fallen victim to it. One might say about this new LP that the sound of the band was brought in to uh, uh, flesh out the echo chamber of his mind.

twicks and musicaner like this.
  14. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

Bruce charted a plane and flew to NC......lol
    Max played Bar Mitzvahs after being fired by Bruce prior to hooking up with Conan.

15. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Old age focuses the mind on mortality, I guess.

brettster808 likes this.
  16. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

If I Were A Priest mocks religion.

17. If you say so. I like the song.

18. pacman68

pacman68 Forum Resident

It baffles me that people get mad Bruce actually revisits some of his old songs. They are still his songs. It doesn't matter what year they are. As for the Bob Dylan / Bruce Springsteen. I love Bob and think his words are just amazing but the dudes voice is gone. Bruce still sounds strong and young.

HarvG, budwhite, Mfj55 and 3 others like this.
  19. EndorphinMachine

EndorphinMachine Forum Resident

Some people simply search for a reason to get mad at him.
    If Springsteen would refuse to revisit old stuff, they'd find THAT to be the source of their rage.

adm62, BeatleBruceMayer and windfall like this.
  20. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

I wouldn't say Shakespeare, but I totally love that song. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the lyrics - it's the kind though that SNOBS from the time of Beatlemania would point out or use against them.
    I think the early Beatles is by far the most exhilarating music they ever made, no contest. She Loves You is an incredible song.
    It's all about how the music effects you; it's how it's performed. A lot of things don't look good on paper, but when sung, it's a whole different matter entirely.

BeatleBruceMayer likes this.
  21. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Sounds more like something from Elton John’s Tumbleweed Connection than anything by Dylan.

22. BeatleBruceMayer

BeatleBruceMayer Forum Resident

Amen!

GMfan87' and Jimmy B. like this.
  23. mike_mike

mike_mike neurodiverse

Elton's presence looms large in the shaping of Springsteen's sensibility. It's never discussed in the same breath as Dylan, Guthrie, Presley, etc but it's there nonetheless, along with others less archetypal and revered. Take Cat Stevens as another never mentioned.

twicks likes this.
  24. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

Bruce was writing Dylanisms since the 60s

25. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

True, but I’ve always noticed the connection to Tumbleweed since I first heard the bootleg of “Priest” decades ago.
    Maybe I’m the only one who hears it, but that’s the impression I get when I listen to it.

Chris S. and PacificOceanBlue like this.