Stacking a receiver on an Oppo BDP93?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by hobbes4444, Apr 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict Thread Starter

So I have some a new amp coming in and I need to reconfigure my equipment. Looking for thoughts on whether it will be ok to stack my receiver on top of my Oppo BDP93.

At the moment I have 2 shelves in a low rise entertainment unit with a glass door and open back.

The shelves currently have --
    Top: Oppo headphone amp
    Middle: Oppo BDP93
    Base: Marantz SR7012 with cooling fan

With the new amp I'm going to have to adjust things and I'll only have 1 shelf. The Oppo headphone amp is moving out of the cabinet.

Shelf: Oppo 93 stacked on Cooling fan and Marantz 7012.
    Base: Amp

The Oppo is 11lbs.
    The Marantz is 31 lbs and the fan is maybe 2 lbs.

So the Oppo tray barely clears the upper piece on the inside of the cabinet door. It would be much more convenient to have the Oppo under the receiver. This way the remote would be useful as well (when it's on the top the remote input is blocked).

The question is whether I can safely put the receiver and fan stacked on the Oppo.

Thoughts either way? Oppo recommends space above. But it won't have the recommended 4 inch space either above or below the Marantz).

2. mcbrion

mcbrion Forum Resident

I would advise you not put components on top of each other. Period. Two vibrating devices on top of each other? There must be a more sensible solution than that.

3. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict Thread Starter

Believe me, I'm trying to figure out a better solution. Space is at a premium unfortunately. Ideally I'd find a used 5 channel amp that is equal in quality to my SimAudio 340i at a cheap price (sub 2k). But I don't think that's happening. I love the sound of the Sim for 2 channel so having trouble settling on that side, and I want something better for the remaining 3 channels than the Marantz.

The Oppo 93 doesn't get much use so stacking it on top will do, though, again, not ideal. Primarily it's used for the occasional SACD ISO disc and for out of region BD and DVD.

4. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I have my Oppo 205 stacked on top of my Oppo 103. Not ideal but it's the best option with the limited rack space I have. There's been no issues at all with the 103 and when on for hours it doesn't even get warm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.