DCC Archive Stage Fright + Other notes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lukpac, Oct 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member Thread Starter

Got a few DCC titles in the mail today, along with Super Session on Sony gold (all from Music 4 A Song - cheap).

Steve - what's the deal with Stage Fright? Was it that Todd Rundgren added more echo after the mixdowns were made or something? Same mixes? I was under the impression that the story of the tapes was in the booklet, but I guess not. Also, I see your budy Kevin Gray was involved. What exactly did he do?

I can't say I'm terribly impressed by Super Session, either in terms of sound or performance. I quite like "Really" (first heard it in Sneakers), but most of the stuff seems to lack inspiration. The horns just don't fit in, IMO. As for the sound - crisp and clear, but it's hurting my ears. On the surface I'd say "this sounds great", but my pain level suggests otherwise. Ouch - I guess "Stop" really means "stop listening" - I have to. My ears *really* hurt :(

No Dice and Steve Miller's GH haven't been touched much yet.

Heck - all this DCC stuff and I think I like these old MCA Buddy and M&P CDs the best...

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

As far as I understood it, these ARE the Todd mixes. It was Glynn Johns who redid them, adding echo, & remixing a few. These Todd mixes were the original (approved by The Band) mixes.

Super Session (not a DCC disc) sounds bad, because the original tapes sound that way. I could never get Sony to understand that just because something is pressed on a Gold CD, if the music ain't mastered correctly, it's a waste of time....

[ October 05, 2001: Message edited by: Steve Hoffman ]

3. lukpac

Er...I knew it was one or the other. So Glyn took these mixes and added extra echo? Odd.

Well, from what I can tell, the music was recorded fairly well. The mastering just - hurts my ears. I'm surprised, considering it's something Bob Irwin produced (he didn't master it, though).

4. lukpac

BTW, Steve, you guys need to do a better job of keeping track of times on DCC CDs... ;) On this Steve Miller CD it would seem as if all of the single edit times are used. I'm thinking "wait a minute, why are these *shorter* than on the box set?!" Of course, you can't trust the times on the back of the box set, either - some are *very* screwed up.

I can't think of what it is now, but it seems to me some other DCC releases use the wrong times as well.

BTW, any chance of doing more Steve Miller? Especially the early (pre-Joker) stuff? Going To The Country, Your Saving Grace, Livin' In The USA - all great stuff.

BTW, that SM GH disc really sounds great. *Very* "breath of life" sounding.

I've got 3 of these damn lift-lock cases here if anyone wants them... :D

5. Steve Hoffman

Luke, DCC is bound by contract not to alter the times on original artwork (at least controlled by EMI)....

But I was damned if I was going to put the short versions on the disc.... If people want that, they can buy the $12.98 version.
    :mad:

6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Thank you, Steve.

7. lukpac

I've got no problems with you using the album versions - I just wish the times matched.

Also, the tray insert isn't the original artwork - I don't see why it would be a problem. Obviously it would be silly to change the times on the LP label scans, but on the back it shouldn't be a problem. Heck, the rear of the LP didn't even have times.

8. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Me thinks you would have been happier with "Fly Like An Eagle" and "Book Of Dreams". (DCC)

Steve's bound by his own credo not to use anything but the actual 2-track stereo masters, and bound by non-compete clause by labels to use the art on their CD, or likeness thereof, approved by the label. It's not like the art is really that bad. I was a radio DJ for 7 years. Ask anyone I worked with, if you generally look to the cover art (CD/LP) for time accuracy, and you might get a belly laugh.

If you want to go into CDs with inaccurate times, I can show you a collection with over 1,000 cds including a DTS "Fly Like An Eagle" that uses blatent fade-outs. Not to mention reissues that used alternate art, or just plain dropped artwork altogether. I can only assume that would include just about 1/3 of my collection, if you want to slice hairs. I could go on and on forever, but - ppth.

Excuse by boldness, but a music fan is really going to care about the solid product inside. I'd say give me the DCC's of the 2 titles I mentioned above, if I really want to enjoy something the artist intended. I'd be VERY pleased to believe that someone behind the DCC product cared enough to sneak the full-length versions in.

That package (Capitol) was originally for the average buyer. I once owned "Who's Greatest Hits" once. Uh, ONCE!

Luke, you'll live though it. I promise ;) If the times gave an impression that the length was longer, but you went home and got "singles" versions, that's a whole different thing.

9. Steve Hoffman

Perceptive of you, Sckott, to realize that we indeed snuck the full-length versions in on the Steve Miller Band "Hits" Gold CD and LP.

Capitol was not happy. They can control the artwork content, (in fact, their VP must "sign off" on all artwork for DCC before it can be printed), but they are a bit easier about the sonic content, thank God. But even the good folks at Capitol/EMI have their breaking point! We sure hit it with this release. Ouch. It still hurts to sit!

hi_watt likes this.
  10. Unknown

Unknown Guest

I started really getting into Steve Miller at the recommendation of jazz legend and Miller-fanatic Miles Davis.

And Charles Shaar Murray. :D

11. ED in NY

ED in NY New Member

Hey Patrick, I caught that joke ! Oh yeah Miles was a huge Steve Miller fan. Nothin' but admiration and respect for him as stated in his autobiography. I was surprised that they never got around to doing that collaboration album. Would've been a classic. Thanks for making me laugh today.-ED :D

12. Unknown

Unknown Guest

I'm glad someone caught the joke!

13. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member

I just bought the DCC vinyl LP of Steve Miller's Greatest Hits. On this, the artwork is from the Columbia House Record Club pressing! It says it on the lower left corner. Funny Capitol would sign off on that! Then again, they seem to do a lot of funny things...

14. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Steve, you are right that if we wanted single versions of Steve Miller Band's hits on CD we might as well buy the Capitol CD or LP of "Greatest Hits" at our local Wal-Mart or Target. Too bad Capitol wasn't happy you snuck the full album versions of the hits on the DCC Steve Miller Band Greatest Hits CD and LP. I'm not the biggest Steve Miller Band fan and am content with the 45 edits on the Capitol vinyl. What you are content with is what counts anyway.

[ October 07, 2001: Message edited by: Bradley Olson ]

15. lukpac

Two things to keep in mind, Bradley:

1) I never said I wanted the single versions. I *did* say I wished the times on the back of the CD (which wasn't the original artwork) matched the contents of the songs.

2) I think it's a bit silly to say that people should just get the standard Capitol crap if they want the single versions. I'm sure some people want the single versions in the best sound quality possible - they won't be getting that with the Capitol issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.