"Stan & Ollie" - Yea Or Nea?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Luvtemps, Dec 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just saw this film yesterday and thought it was well done but a bit sad,good makeup and acting,for those who have seen it what do you think?

longdist01 and Smiler like this.
  2. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Yea. Love Steve Coogan in just about everything.

3. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I thought it was terrific.

4. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Great movie..I got choked up at the end..

longdist01 likes this.
  5. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Loved it, it should have gotten an Oscar nomination. John C. Reilly definitely deserved one for his performance as Oliver Hardy.

[​IMG]
    Stan: Well Ollie, our movie didn’t get nominated.

Ollie: I have nothing to say.

6. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Oh, yea!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Here's what I posted on it just recently, on this thread (where others have also given it positive reviews):
    The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Stan And Ollie
    ...and it was phenominal!!
    :):):):thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

[​IMG]
    Fantastic performances by John C. Reilly & Steve Coogan in biography about (Stan) Laurel & (Oliver) Hardy, comedic slapstick duo. More of a story of the interpersonal relationship...a tale of friendship/love & devotion. Really remarkable duo & bio! Great talents, all.

"The film focuses on details of the comedy duo's personal relationship while relating how they embarked on a grueling music hall tour of the United Kingdom and Ireland during 1953 and struggled to get another film made.
    At the 76th Golden Globe Awards, Reilly was nominated for Best Actor – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy, and at the 72nd British Academy Film Awards the film earned three nominations, including Best British Film and Best Actor in a Leading Role for Coogan.
    "

Ooh, yeah...this thread/topic belongs on visual arts, not music. Maybe a Gort can move it.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  7. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

I really enjoyed it. I didn't know what to expect, but I ended up being very drawn into it, and had a lump in my throat several times. Both Coogan and Reilly were phenomenal.

sound chaser, blutiga and longdist01 like this.
  8. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident Thread Starter

OPPS-sorry had a senior moment,thanks for the correction.

9. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

Agreed, great movie!

longdist01 likes this.
  10. GreggF

GreggF Forum Resident

Yea!

longdist01 likes this.
  11. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Yea! Wonderfully done!

Scope J and longdist01 like this.
  12. Whizz Kid

Whizz Kid Forum Resident

Yes... went in to this not expecting a lot... but I really enjoyed it.
    I thought it was very well done... great acting and the accurate period sets etc... should have had more nominations.

longdist01 likes this.
  13. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

I don't normally do biopics, but I really enjoyed this movie.

Shawn and longdist01 like this.
  14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

When a person from this era first experiences Oliver & Hardy films, they're missing the ability to appreciate them for the most part. Comedic timing, and cinematic sophistication and simple historical references are a challenge, not to mention being oriented by the modern cinema that makes them laugh because they grew up with that. Not"fast n' furious" enough... How does one explain the wit of Will Rogers, to somebody who grew up on incessant Geico commercials and memes?

Producers, cast and crew who feel strongly enough about the subject matter to sign on to creating it are by definition the very passionate fans who are making a film for an audience that can't relate. It's far back enough to be taken as "biopic territory", but close enough to a form they're familiar with, to challenge their interest (as in, "how could people have thought this was funny", with no rosetta stone for context of the era).

I think they chose the time period right for a story and script that could hold attention, with issues that were translatable to moviegoers. Surprising to me though, was that none of my typical cinema buddies showed any interest in seeing it on the face of it appearing in the theatre's calendar. They all liked Downey in Chaplin, and Coogan should certainly be a draw, as an up-n-coming "guy you would watch in anything". The film about Morrow that Clooney made was certainly relatable, despite today's telejournos bearing no relationship with that period of media's past.

So, what was the problem with the lack of draw? Is it perhaps assumed the film was only for a guy like me, who could stand endless screenings of two-reelers on my 8mm projector in the house while everybody else was downstairs watching Hawaii 5-0? Was it a pure lack of relatability on the publics' part?

15. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

I loved it and thought it came across as a labor of love on the parts of Coogan and Reilly. They were excellent. A very tender story.

16. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

Let`s hear it for Nina Arianda who played Stan`s wife `Ida`, if anyone should have been nominated for an Academy Award it was her.....she stole the whole movie.

Andy Smith, blutiga and Greg Gee like this.
  17. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

I haven't seen the film yet, but as a huge Stan and Ollie fan, this is my favorite clip of
    them. Not only will it make you laugh, but Stan's laughing is so contagious that as it
    goes on Ollie starts laughing, for REAL. Absolutely classic....

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

loved it!

longdist01 likes this.
  19. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Saw the Trailer and was drawn into seeing in cinema...so glad i saw it on the big screen! Yes - shocked it recieved very little Nominations for cast earlier in year...

20. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Big Yea.

longdist01 likes this.
  21. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

22. oskaraleman

oskaraleman Forum Resident

Good film, so yea...didn't see it at the theater (should've), had a DVD from the local library...two thumbs up.

blutiga and Greg Gee like this.
  23. HaileyMcComet

HaileyMcComet Forum Resident

I can't speak for anybody but me, but I never knew this Laurel and Hardy movie existed until now. I grew up on Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd, and I've seen everything Chaplin did backward and forward. I'm Edna Purviance's biggest fan, as far as I know. I was disappointed with Attenborough's Chaplin movie.

John C Reilly as Oliver Hardy? I would watch that in a heartbeat. But did it play at any theaters around me? I seriously doubt it. Every theater within walking distance has the latest superhero, cartoon, zombie and/or vampire movie.

Greg Gee likes this.
  24. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

Recommended!

Greg Gee and smilin ed like this.
  25. G E

G E Senior Member

Watch the real stuff...

HorseyAnn, Steve Baker and pocofan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.