Standing in the Shadows of Motown

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lownotes, Apr 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member Thread Starter

Watched this on DVD last night. Really enjoyed it. The old footage of James Jamerson is incredible. What he could do with one finger is amazing. Wasn't crazy about the Ben Harper performances but I was surprisingly impressed with Joan Osborne.

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

My GF was quite impressed with her too. She's got lungs, and it's a shame she's not enjoying major sucess like other artists...at least right now.

Bootsie rocks. The man is just too damn cool for this planet. Sorry. Bootsie is the nads.

3. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

I love this DVD. The Funks come across as so human. I'll tell you, I am a huge Motown fan, but ever since seeing the movie I find I listen to the music just a bit differently. Hard to explain, but I guess I am paying so much closer attention to all the parts that make up that glorious Motown machine. There is so much going on in that music, but it comes together into such a wonderful whole.

Definitely agree about Joan Osborne - she exudes charisma, sexuality, soulfulness, everything. Besides that, she comes across much warmer and genuinely moved to be in the same room or sharing the stage with the Funks, compared to, say, Meshell Ndegeocello.

Haven't got through all the bonus goodies, but am eagerly awaiting the deluxe set a little later this year, and I know I will be passing quite a few of these out as stocking stuffers....

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Totally agree. Joan really had more raw emotion than Meshell (sp) did. But it didn't take away from the experience...

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I was pretty happy with all of the performers and their approaches. Joan Osborne went for it with heart and soul and was spectacular. Gerald Levert went at it with gusto and was good. Meshell N'Degeocello seemed to approach it on a more intellectual "learning opportunity" level and still acquitted herself well, Ben Harper seemed somewhat scared, but survived, Chaka Khan was the most relaxed and probably the only one with enough musical experience to feel like a peer to the musicians, and it was nice to see Montell Jordan back in the game with a good backing band and duet partner. :)

Regards,

6. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

Love this thought, Ken. Yes, the Funk Brothers are "a good backing band". Understatement of the year, which I am sure was the reason for the :) (I hope).

7. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member Thread Starter

Some of it is bittersweet, to say the least. James Jamerson having to buy a ticket to the 25th (?) anniversary show.

How would you like to be the person that came up with riff for "My Girl" and nobody knows who you are?

Question: when the guy (I think it was Allan Slutsky) talking about the greatest guitar riffs of all time, he mentions "Satisfaction" by the Stones and "Paperback Writer" by the Beatles. Do you think he might have meant "Daytripper"?

8. Ken_McAlinden

Possibly. I wondered if he meant "Smells Like Teen Spirit" when he mentioned Nirvana's "Come as You Are" as well.

Regards,

9. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I've already seen this movie 5 or 6 times and I enjoy it more everytime I see it. This one's a keeper!!:D

10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I bought the DVD the day it came out, and I love it!

One question, why no mention of R.Dean Taylor? They totally forgot him.

11. Ken_McAlinden

I think R. Dean was seen as more of a producer/songwriter than a musician. Maybe since he had some success as a Motown recording artist, too, he wasn't far enough "in the shadows". :) I sort of expected them to mention Marv Tarplin, myself. His guitar figure at the beginning of "Tracks of My Tears" is almost as great as Robert White's lick on "My Girl".

Regards,

12. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

A while back I was describing this movie, and the Funk Brothers themselves, to my brother. After a while he said, "Oh, I get it...these guys were like Motown's answer to Booker T. and the MG's!" Now, I'm second to none in my respect for the Stax house band, but I think it might almost be more accurate to say that the MG's were Memphis's answer to the Funk Brothers!

I hope this movie raises their profile, and that it does better in home rentals than it seems to have done in the box office. Sad to say, even here in Detroit it seems like when I tried to tell people about it I'd be greeted with blank stares. :sigh:

13. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I just bought this DVD and I thought it was/is fantastic! Only problem was, many of the main players aren't here anymore(Benjamin, Jamerson, etc). Still, these men need to be recognised for their unique talents. The only thing undiscussed was whether some of the famous Motown songs were in fact cut in L.A. with the Wrecking Crew(I noticed at the end, with the listing of all of the famous Motown tunes that all of the Supremes songs were not listed until the very end).

Still, as great combination documentary/concert. This music is timeless.:thumbsup:

14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It really makes me angry how James Jamerson had been pretty much snubbed and forgotton by the time of the 25th Aniversary Special.

15. Xyzzy

Xyzzy New Member

I was glad to watch this, but I would have enjoyed it more sans guest stars. Why put such great talent in new shadows. In fact I have to admit I skipped some of the performances. Also how come in that one scene with the different drum parts being demonstrated the drums sounded STUNNING but the sound at the show was pretty lame.

Lastly, did anyone else think those re-enactments were extremely unnecessary and cheesy?

16. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Got a chance to see them live in NYC and meet some of them about two months ago, great show, but sadly there where more fill-ins than originals, time is taking its toll on them.

17. hoover537

hoover537 Senior Member

Because of this thread. I went out and bought this DVD last night. What a fantastic story! I agree with Grant about the tragic way that James Jamerson was treated. He actually had to scalp a ticket to see the Motown 25th anniversary. UNBELIEVABLE!
    The way that they just threw a sign on the door and said "Moving to L.A."
    Does anyone know if those guys made any money from those days or are they reaping any benefits from today's releases?
    I was a little baffled that none of the musicians seem to give any credit to the actual writers like Holland Dozier Holland?
    Is it safe to assume that those guys only wrote lyrics and the Funk Brothers wrote the music but never received credit for it?
    I suggest anyone with any interest in Motown music see this DVD. This is a great piece of history. It is so about time that these people got some recognition.

18. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

I got disc 1 from Netflix and loved it! The 5.1 mix I though was especially well done. I agree that the renactments were a bit hokey, IMO. I knew it was going to end with Motown packing up and heading to LA, but it was still upsetting. I've added it to my wish list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.