Stanley Kubrick on DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GP, Jan 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

'2001' in the new remastered version (as in the box set) looks better than the previous DVD.

However, it suffers from edge-enhancement and is far from reference quality. A real pity.

I'm crossing my fingers for an OAR high-def broadcast on HDNet Movies.

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The version of Clockwork Orange that is currently available in the USA (and probably everywhere else) is the uncensored version.

The only two films for which there seem to be alternate edits available on DVD are:
    • Eyes Wide Shut - The US R-rated cut is the only version released in the US and Canada, but the uncensored cut is available in most other regions (although sometimes with different types of censorship like "blurring". There may have been some alternative music cues because of a rights issue in the UK as well.
    • The Shining - The European cut is substantially shorter than the US cut, including the removal of the entire sequence with Anne Jackson as the doctor.
    In any case, the only one that was cut for non-aesthetic reasons was "Eyes Wide Shut". There had been some censorship of Spartacus, but that was mostly remedied by the restoration, which is the only version that has appeared on DVD.

I believe Leon Vitali when he says that Kubrick wanted the films shown with the full frame exposed. One interesting variant, however, is that the Lolita DVD is framed at 1.66:1, but when it was released as a Criterion laserdisc, it had the variable matting just like Dr. Strangelove.

Ken's Kubrick on R1 DVD recommendations:
    • Killer's Kiss/The Killing/Paths of Glory - MGM (only one choice) Transfers are pretty good. Sound is mono. Paths of Glory sounds like it may have been from an optical track with NR applied.
    • Spartacus - Criterion 2 disc SE. Better transfer than the non-anamorphic Universal, with color timing tweaks to match a Techniclolor IB print approved by SK at the time of the film's initial release. Extras are phenomenal. Criterion has original sound mix with wide stereo screen-cued directional dialog. Universal version has dialog moved in a bit, but not all the way to mono.
    • Lolita, 2001: ASO, Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket - Warner versions with "Digitally Restored and Remastered" on the front cover. Worth noting - older non-16:9 enhanced WB and MGM DVDs of 2001:ASO had some Arthur C. Clarke interviews as extras. The remasters for A Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon, The Shining, and Full Metal Jacket have very well done 5.1 mixes, but unfortunately do not include the original mono mixes as well, which were on the older masterings. The latest masterings of 2001: ASO, A Clockwork Orange , and Full Metal Jacket are also available in limited edition collector sets where the DVD is paired with a CD soundtrack, booklets, senitype film frames, and stuff like that
    • Dr. Strangelove - The most recent and readily available release is the one to get. The A/V transfer is more or less equivalent to previous versions, and there are some nice featurettes/retrospectives that are only available on the latest version. This version is also included in the WB box set of the remasters.
    • Eyes Wide Shot - All R1 versions have been the same except for their packaging. This is the R-rated cut that is censored by the insertion of digital characters obscuring the action during one sequence. The only way to see it uncensored on DVD is via a non-Region 1 release.
    • A Life in Pictures - This well made documentary is only available as part of the remastered box set.

Regards,

3. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Thanks, Ken. Two additional thoughts:

The original Criterion LD of Strangelove had material on the making of the disc that supplies Kubrick's thoughts on the transfer and on its multiple aspect ratios. I don't think that material has shown up elsewhere. There may be other extras on that laserdisc that are unique to it.

The obscured scenes in Eyes Wide Shut in their uncensored form used to be readily available on the Internet. Probably still out there somewhere unless everyone got a cease-and-desist order.

Non-sequitur: I'm glad my 1800th post is on Kubrick.

4. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Double post--sorry.

5. GregY

GregY New Member

I'm still waiting for the European cut of Eyes Wide Shut on DVD. If I ever had to sell off my DVD collection, the Kubrick and Coen Bros. films would be the absolute last to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.