Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Documentary in the Works

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Feb 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Yeah, Kes was trying to be a "Troi" type character that didn't really work. Chokatay was just an exercise in bringing in some politically correct Native American character as that really can't been done yet in a Trek crew...worked okay sometimes but too cliche most of the time.

One thing I thought they should have done from the beginning was instead of casting Robert Duncan McNeill as Tom Paris was to cast him in the role he played in the TNG episode he was in (Nick Locarno) only after his whole thing there - there was a story in there, how he dealt with getting on with Star Fleet...and it would have first with his character in Voyager fairly easily if they wrote it that way.

Matthew Tate and Encuentro like this.
  2. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

That would have required Paramount to pay the author of the TNG episode that introduced Nick Locarno a large heap of money. That wasn't going to happen.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Actually, the episode Trials And Tribble-ations was included in HD in the original series blu-ray set as a bonus feature.

4. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Mulgrew wasn't as good at selling technobabble.

5. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

:agree:

(Which was unfortunate, since Voyager was absolutely saturated with it.)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Badly upscaled. Not real HD like we see in the remastered "Birthright".

DeeThomaz likes this.
  7. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

The Sisko rests with the Prophets.

MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I watched Shatner's documentary "The Captains" and after watching the one with Avery (Sisko/DS9), I can kinda understand why he didn't (or wouldn't) appear in the documentary the OP made.

9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I always saw her as the "Manager", and as such, no need for geekspeak. One of my favorite radio station managers was non-tech-y as a...non-tech-y thing. But, he could read people, make a good snap decision, and interpret what people were telling him.

10. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

11. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Yes, it's a shame that Enterprise easily got a remaster because that show was already broadcast in widescreen. Sure DS9 and VOY would be more expensive to transfer to HD plus having to update the effects like TNG. Still hope they get to do it though...

DeeThomaz and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. budwhite

It seems like Voyager and especially DS9 is picking up new fans all the time. Star Trek is popular again and it's easily available on netflix.
    Still, a long way to go before they work on those shows again. To many episodes. To expensive.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

A fan played around with using AI to upscale DS9 off DVD. Doesn't look as good as a full HD remaster, but I'm betting if you did this using a fresh digital transfer of the original analog masters, it would look a hell of a lot better than the current, crappy digital masters available on the DVDs and from streaming services like Netflix.

And it would cost very little to do compared to a full HD remaster.

14. budwhite

Sound is slightly better on dvd but I'm glad it's streaming so I don't have to deal with NTSC and PAL.

Stargate SG1 isn't streaming so I bought the dvd box in PAL and the 4% spedup sucks

15. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Here's a sample of the machine learning driven "HD" remaster of DS9.

marmalade166 likes this.
  16. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Somebody else just boosted the sharpness and contrast - I always thought DS9 looked washed out and fuzzy - and produced a much more pleasing result than the standard remaster. I think if you combine that with the machine learning uprezzing you could have a decent picture even on fairly large screens. And it could be done for a fraction of what a real remaster would cost:

greelywinger likes this.
  17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I couldn't play that video, but found this one that worked:

DS9 Remastered With Machine Learning - Comparison Video (480p to 1080p)

To me, there's not much difference between them. I don't know how their machine learning algorithm works, but frankly I was able to achieve better results when I remastered the series for myself (without no AI), back some years ago.

I had to get rid of interlacing and blended frames, reduce noise, boost contrast/gamma and add a little sharpness. It took ages, but the results look pretty darn good.

sunspot42 and budwhite like this.
  18. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I could see the difference in the first video, but the second video was more noticeable.

Darryl

19. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I meant to say I could not see the difference in the first video.

Darryl

20. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I notice a big difference on both videos, but I've got a 34" computer monitor to view them on.

Would love to see the videos processed as indicated - get rid of interlacing and blended frames, noise reduction, boost contrast/gamma, sharpen - and then fed to machine learning to upres. I'm betting the combined results would be quite dramatic.

21. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

The machine-learning upgrade is amazing. It tightens up fuzziness, seemingly without creating any edge haloes. I’m sure every company that does upscaling will be trying to develop this.

Of course if this is the next breakthrough in upscaling, it means all the shows that have already invested heavily in being upscaled using the best available techniques, like Farscape and Red Dwarf, may eventually need to be bought again if they’re upgraded and if you’re a perfectionist.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Hmmm, are we watching the same video? Because I can only see a very minimal difference between the two versions. Nothing I would characterize as 'amazing'.

Also, I'd hate to think how long it takes to process a video if a neural net is involved in learning, because it would have to be processed perhaps many thousands of times in order for the NN to converge on an optimal solution and the same process may need to be repeated for each different video (episode).

If those assumptions are true, then I doubt this will ever become a speedy, general purpose solution alternative to conventional computational techniques.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  23. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

How big is your monitor? On my 34" screen the improvement is immediately apparent, even in that little split screen, which is only half the resolution of a full 1080p image.

I'd like to see them switch back and forth between the two images on a full 1080p field.

That's likely not how it works, at all, since they don't have access to any 1080p DS9 footage to train the model with. They probably trained the model using 480p and 1080p copies of the same video - not DS9, but likely a downscaled Blu-ray of a film or TV show - and trained the model to make the tweaks necessary to make the 480p video look as much like the 1080p original as it could. It therefore "learned" what changes worked and what changes didn't, and how to make a 480p image look like the 1080p original.

They then unleashed it on 480p DS9 video, and it used the same tricks to uprez it to 1080p.

24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Physical size doesn't really matter, what's important is the native resolution of the monitor. I have a 24" 1920x1200 pixel 16:10 monitor, which is slightly larger than HD, the max resolution of the clip. So it's a 1:1 clip/pixel correspondence.

They do actually, at least a little bit. When they did the TNG remaster, there were some scenes on DS9 that were a part of it, so they could have used that (not sure if it was sufficient).

Possibly, but I'm not sure how well that would work. There are all kinds of different encodings for different movies and release versions. These encoding differences might contribute to what the NN learns for that particular release and may not translate well to a TV show with different attributes.

My strategy would be to choose the closest source material for which there is an exact match between original DVD release and remastered bluray release, such as TNG (which also includes scenes from DS9).

But these are all guesses since we don't know what methodology was actually used.

25. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

It absolutely matters. On a small monitor it can be difficult to impossible to make out any resolution differences between two different images, especially when the image is scaled to only take up less than half the monitor to begin with. Those differences can become obvious on a larger monitor. It's pretty difficult for example to make out the difference between 720p and 1080p content on a 1080p 27" monitor. On a 56" monitor of the same resolution, though...

Train the model on lots of different clips from lots of different shows. Then it'll learn what works and what doesn't across all of them. Heck, it might even learn how to detect differences between source pictures and switch to different techniques as it sees fit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.