Star Trek: Lower Decks

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by boyjohn, Aug 6, 2020.

1. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member Thread Starter

Didn't see a thread about this series (unless I missed it).

It premiered today (On CBS All Access).

In case anyone isn't aware of it yet, it's an animated show created by Mike McMahan (writer and producer of Rick and Morty)

Reviews have been pretty much all positive as far as I can see. I hope to get a chance to see the premiere later today.

Here is a review from Trekmovie.com

2. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

The juvenile and the Trekkie in me both insist that I need to check this out.

It's to be shown on CTV Sci-Fi Channel in Canada. I will set my PVR.

3. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

I can wait to watch this alongside Discovery in October. Hearing very good things about it as well.

As usual, the "sTaR tReK iS rUiNeD" crowd started bleating the moment this show was announced.

4. boyjohn

Got a chance to watch it. I thought it was fantastic. It's got so many easter eggs and you can tell that the creators love ST, especially TNG. And from what I hear, the second episode is where the show starts to really shine, can't wait.

Here is a YT video which goes into a lot of the easter eggs in the first episode.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  5. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Here is the whole thing, but watch it quick it's only up for a limited time!

6. Dr. Pepper

Here is our podcast about it. I'm the Red Panda in the video.

Oh, If you want to hear all of our podcasts and shows about Sci-Fi they are all at www.buckbenny.podomatic.com

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    Frozensoda likes this.
  7. Dr. Pepper

Wil Wheaton is doing a Ready Room after show on Lower Decks!

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  8. Dr. Pepper

9. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I've seen the first three cartoons. I think it's alright. I hope it gets better at the end of the season.

10. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

I'm watching the series as sort of a filler between other things I might be watching. I like the adherence to the Star Trek universe but in the end it's just a cartoon.

11. Dr. Pepper

Episode three was my favorite so far. It's always good when the three best episodes of a series are the most recent three! I like the direction they are headed in which is Star Trek centric with a lot of comedy thrown in verses comedy centric with a bunch of Star Trek thrown on top.

12. BeatleJWOL

13. Dr. Pepper

I think I tend to agree.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  14. Dr. Pepper

15. Dr. Pepper

Star Trek Time Podcast 004 2020 08 29 Star Trek Lower Decks Focus on Episode 4 Chat

16. Dr. Pepper

Star Trek Day 09-08-2020 Lower Decks Discussion Panel

17. boyjohn

I've enjoyed all of them, the 5th episode was the best, IMO. And from what I hear the last half of the season is when it really comes together.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  18. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I'm only about halfway through the first season, but so far I'm not super impressed. The show is supposed to be a comedy, but I've barely even cracked a smile... the "humor" is simply not funny, and the majority of the characters are rather annoying.

But my main gripe is with the overall style/presentation of the show -- the way that all the scenes are edited so quickly and done in such a rapid-fire manner, combined with the fact that all the characters insist on shouting their dialogue instead of just speaking normally -- do the show's creators think all viewers have ADD or something? Very off-putting.

Strat-Mangler, Onkster515 and Vidiot like this.
  19. Onkster515

Onkster515 Forum Resident

Agreed. As soon as the loud fast yapping started in the first episode, I was out.

It’s also what I can’t stand about screwball comedies.

Rocker likes this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That was my problem as well. I'm gonna pass. I could barely get through Picard as well, which to me had the opposite problem: too slow. Discovery is terrific and I enjoy that show.

Kyle B and Rocker like this.
  21. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Season 2 starts this week.

22. Dr. Pepper

I hope Riker is featured in at least a few episodes. We know he is in at least one.

23. BeatleJWOL

Mid-season trailer from today's Star Trek Day presentation on Paramount Plus:

24. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

I’m glad I’m not the only one who didn’t like Picard. I thought it was dull and boring and I gave up after episode 3. Disappointing, because I love TNG.

25. boyjohn

You really should check out the episode with Riker and Troi in it (Nepenthe), even if you pass on the rest of the season. It is excellent.

Al Kuenster and Kyle B like this.