„Star Trek“ original series appreciation thread!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Sgt. Abbey Road, Aug 3, 2022.

1. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

And the character Brains had a pronounced stammer, M-Mr. K-K. :)

2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

A little fun from a Star Trek fan with some AI tech and some old Unsolved Mysteries clips:

The Unsolved Mystery of Dr. Taylor

TheAbsentMind and glennzo like this.
  5. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Senior Member

I get the "T'pau" reference, but what does the rest of it have to do with Star Trek?

6. Kaskade10729

[​IMG]

7. Kaskade10729

:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

8. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

The mention of the aliens from Catspaw, created via puppetry :)
    Puppets from Catspaw.
    Thunderbirds reference.

sotosound and Pete Puma like this.
  9. Kaskade10729

The puppetry strings in Catspaw are gone with the newer effects laid in? I have to rewatch that and see if I ever noticed it...

10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

11. Kaskade10729

I'm not really seeing the strings at all on either of the pics in the first link....could just be my eyes though.

12. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

A few of those screenshots aren't exactly 1080p, but I did spot this from at least one of the puppets in the original shot:

[​IMG]

Barely a pixel in width on screen, probably more noticeable in motion, if at all.

sotosound likes this.
  13. Kaskade10729

Yeah, I see em now...

Reminds me of the strings you're not supposed to see in that scene in Breakin' when Michael Chambers is dancing with the broom....

[​IMG]

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  14. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

LOVE the enhanced effects! Not even close for my viewing preference. But YMMV. They applied it to more than the space sequences. I noticed a brief landscape scene in episode one where the effects were used. As for the non-effects sequences, I find it odd that many have first rate detail while others seem a bit on the low def side. Some of this you can write off to the annoying use of the ol' fog filter, which I'm not sure isn't used on Kirk at times where they want to make him look a bit more genteel. Maybe this explains why people who watch one or more episodes with and without the effects assert the human scenes appear different (i.e., those who think such scenes look better when the effects are turned perhaps are merely focusing more on the scenes - close ups? - that have the better detail).

15. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

it rules, nothing has come close since in TV or movies to match the team of Kirk and Spock

smilin ed likes this.
  16. misterjones

Well, that's raises an interesting discussion question I recently thought about. Perhaps it has been raised before, but my question is . . . actually, questions are: (1) who is your favorite regular character in Star Trek other than Kirk and Spock; and (2) who is your favorite non-recurring character? I'm not sure about (2), but for (1) I might go with Sulu. I think he at least is the best actor in the second tier group.

17. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Thankfully, there was a mobile repair kiosk in the Triskelion shopping mall, so he was able to have it working again before the mission's end

boggs and Blastproof like this.
  18. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

Sulu for sure, helped by George's public persona since then :D

non-recur (a few times is okay) has to be Roger C. Carmel, his 60s-70s Hawaii Five-O work with as a pragmatic Russian spy with a bad accent rules as well

19. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

In terms of acting skills, Walter Koenig showed his excellent qualities as Alfred Bester in Babylon 5. He displayed so much subtlety and nuance, and his character was a million miles from the comic Russian Ensign in Trek.

My favourite non-recurring character is Commodore Decker, in part due to the gravitas and believability that William Windom brought to the role.

RSteven, Blastproof and 7solqs4iago like this.
  20. misterjones

Will anyone pick McCoy or Scotty?

21. Playloud

Playloud Nobody’s Hero

I’ll go with McCoy. He completes the trifecta. Non-recurring would go to Ricardo Montalbán strictly culling from the tv series. If the movie disqualifies him then I’d go with Robert Lansing as Gary Seven.

RSteven likes this.
  22. Kaskade10729

Are you saying you watched some from the Blu-ray set already? If so, did you also find what I did, that the episodes in general look sharper and clearer compared to the originals?

23. misterjones

I watched most of episode one of my Blu-ray set, so I cannot say I have a lot of experience with the set (to say the least). But the non-effects scenes (as I qualified above) look better than anything I've seen before (especially when there's a a bit of a shine to them, like the beads of sweat on McCoy's or Kirk's face). But compared to the non-effects scenes when the effects are turned off, the non-effects scenes appear to look the same. But if an expert with top notch equipment told me otherwise, I wouldn't bet the farm he is wrong.

24. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

I need to pick this up on blu-ray. It looks like the complete collection case is the height of a DVD case? Kinda odd.

25. misterjones

Yes. And 2" thick. I do not like the packaging. The discs are really packed in there. Not in a way that damages them, I don't think (I don't want to take them all out and check), but they are very hard to remove and put back in. Each disc that I watch will be removed until the entire disc has been watched. I don't want to keep putting them in and taking them out. I'm afraid they might crack near the center hole. I'm considering taking them all out, removing the interior disc holders (if I can), putting the discs into individual paper sleeves, and just stacking the discs back inside the case. I assume there's enough room to do that. The price you pay for the discount version of any DVD/Blu-ray set, I guess. My Rocky and Bullwinkle set has the same issue.