„Star Trek“ original series appreciation thread!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Sgt. Abbey Road, Aug 3, 2022.

1. PeanutButterParty

PeanutButterParty Forum Resident

1,000 years into the future, women are still wearing mini-skirts.

Cool.

2. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Thanks for the recommendation. It was excellent. I haven’t watched Black Mirror since the UK episodes.

Mesozoic Mike likes this.
  3. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

Well, you can go through the season three episodes and see how the trend ended:
    1. Spock's Brain: Alien human women in go-go boots.
    2. The Enterprise Incident: No alien humans!
    3. The Paradise Syndrome: Not just alien humans but American Natives.
    4. And the Children Shall Lead: An alien appearing as an obese human.
    5. Is There No Truth in Beauty?: An actual alien!
    6. Spectre of the Gun: Aliens appearing as human cowboys.
    7. Day of the Dove: No humans!
    8. For the World is Hollow...: Many many alien humans.
    9. The Tholian Web: An unmoving animated alien!
    10. Plato's Stepchildren: All alien humans.
    11. Wink of an Eye: All alien humans and even genetically compatible!
    12. The Empath: Two aliens from an Outer Limits episode and an alien human.
    13. Elaan of Troyius: One alien and several alien humans.
    14. Whom Gods Destroy: Some aliens in the background.
    15. Let That Be Your Last Battlefield: Despite the makeup, obviously two alien humans.
    16. The Mark of Gideon: Many many many extraterrestrial humans.
    17. That Which Survives: An alien human female although it's a projection.
    18. The Lights of Zetar: Humans that are in an alien form.
    19. Requiem for Methuselah: An Earth human and a robot human.
    20. The Way to Eden: Humans, but one has funny ears.
    21. The Cloud Miners: All alien humans.
    22. The Savage Curtain: A lava alien which creates... alien humans.
    23. All Our Yesterdays: Not just humans but humans who speak with British accents!
    24. Turnabout Intruder: Not even alien humans in this one.
    So I count just five out of twenty four episodes that feature what are visibly alien creatures. A few feature aliens but then humans take over the episodes.

Pete Puma and beccabear67 like this.
  4. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

Dude, there's a planet that has lots of hot women wearing go-go boots! The exploration of space has never been more important!

5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

And nobody really answered the most significant and puzzling question of the whole episode, even all these years later:

"Brain and brain, what is brain-?"

:waiting:
    You'd think ultra-hero Michael Burnham could have solved that one for us by now....[​IMG]

6. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

'Black Mirror' is very hit or miss for me.
    This episode though was outstanding I thought.

7. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I have the three seasons of TOS and unfortunately, many of the blurays no longer want to load. Over the past couple of years I've managed to watch most of the episodes I've wanted to see again (probably for the 10th or 20th times in many cases), but I think my blurays have pretty much given their all. For what it's worth, here are my favorites. Of 80 total episodes (counting the pilot (The Cage) and Menagerie parts 1 and 2 as three episodes), I rank 15 as excellent and 18 as very good. The rest, meh.

Excellent
    Season 1
    The Naked Time
    Balance of Terror
    The Galileo Seven
    The City on the Edge of Forever

Season 2
    Amok Time
    Mirror, Mirror
    The Doomsday Machine
    Journey to Babel
    The Trouble with Tribbles
    The Immunity Syndrome
    Assignment: Earth

Season 3
    The Enterprise Incident
    For the World is Hollow and I have Touched the Sky
    The Tholian Web
    All Our Yesterdays

Very Good
    Season 1
    Where No Man has Gone Before
    The Menagerie, Part I
    The Menagerie, Part II
    Tomorrow is Yesterday
    The Return of the Archons
    A Taste of Armageddon
    This Side of Paradise

Season 2
    The Apple
    Catspaw
    Friday's Child
    The Deadly Years
    A Piece of the Action
    Patterns of Force
    By Any Other Name
    The Omega Glory

Season 3
    Spock's Brain
    The Paradise Syndrome
    Day of the Dove

skisdlimit, beccabear67 and RSteven like this.
  8. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I have a problem with my blu-rays of the Original Series. I have tried them on a PS3, PS4, Sony BD player, Sony 4K player, Samsung BD player and a Panasonic 4K player. Season One is fine but if I select the original FX versions for seasons two and three the first four or five seconds of the remastered versions play and then there is a pause where the screen goes black for a second and the original episode plays. I just watch the old DVD releases now.

While some episodes are better than others I enjoy each of them. Nothing worth skipping in a rewatch. I will take a million Spock's Brain over the current Star Trek.

Dyland and Archtop like this.
  9. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

@Archtop, I like your list. I might quibble about a couple you threw in but that's all. I would add a few:

First season:
    The Corbomite Maneuver (Star Trek's first great episode in my book. While it was 10th in broadcast, it was shot much earlier. You can see the actors still defining their characters.)
    Devil In The Dark (A great alien, a message worth learning and unique props. It's a interesting story. You can tell exactly when Shatner learned his father had died. Credit goes to Bill for pulling it off.)
    Arena (With the bombardment in the beginning and Gorn battle during the second half, it's action galore. I love the rubber monster.)

Third season:
    Turnabout Intruder (I've always thought Star Trek ended on a high note. Shatner got to play a woman and did it well. In fact, I think some of the best acting of all 79 episodes is in this one.)

skisdlimit, RSteven and Archtop like this.
  10. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

All I really like about that one is when they drink the tranya with Ronnie Howard's little brother, he throws his head back in laughter and bumps his head on the ceiling.

AngusStanley and ggergm like this.
  11. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

I’m up to Season 1’s “Conscience of the King” - watched it last night. Hmmm. I think they hit a low spot there.

12. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I always notice the fillings in his teeth. He sure needed a lot of dental work considering how young he was in the episode.

AngusStanley and Archtop like this.
  13. Wildest cat from montana

Oh, yeah...there were some real duds.

Alien Reg likes this.
  14. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

It'd be nice to think Go-Go boots will make a big Galaxy-wide comeback in the future. :cool:

RSteven likes this.
    Vidiot, RSteven and Mesozoic Mike like this.
  16. guitargal

guitargal Forum Resident

This you tube poster even had the good grace to include a snippet of a Beatles song in this video ... tailor made for SHF

My fave ep - tribbles tribbles tribbles .........need I say more?

Sgt. Abbey Road likes this.
  17. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

I have had so many failures of media while it's sitting on the shelf that I've ripped all of my Blu-rays and HD-DVDs to disk.

Archtop likes this.
  18. Philip Airtime

Philip Airtime A Shiver in the Dark When You Call My Name

I was a huge fan of this series, which I first encountered in syndication around 1970 or so, and still have great affection for the show. (I own the complete original series on Blu-ray.) The episodes which fascinated me as a child were monster-themed stories such as "Arena" and "Devil in the Dark," but now--in my late Fifties--I find episodes such as "The Ultimate Computer" much more gripping. One of the many delights of Star Trek is the marvelous use of colored lights to saturate the sets; at times, I can almost imagine that Mario Bava is directing some of the episodes! My wife was stunned by the show's eye-popping color compositions.

skisdlimit and RSteven like this.
  19. I love how Kirk must just stay in that one spot until the Tribbles are completely covering him.

skisdlimit, guitargal and RSteven like this.
  20. Wildest cat from montana

I see that Netflix has the complete original series.

Even though I have seen all three seasons of episodes dozens of times I am going to watch them all again in honour of this thread.
    Looking forward to it.
    Maybe some of you will join me.

First up: 'The Cage'
    Haven't seen this one in many a moon. Different captain, different crew and a somewhat strange looking and acting Spock.
    Here I go...

21. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

I just did that with my sweetheart; she got into Strange New Worlds and so we tackled TOS in production order. Now we're through the original 6 films and all the way into S2 of TNG. Always a wonderful world to revisit.

22. glittering-girl

glittering-girl Beatles/Who/Todd R.: My Mount Rushmore of Rock

Maybe in Canada, but it's only on Paramount + in the US.

23. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

I got burnt out on TOS years ago...it's always nice to rewatch a few episodes now and then.
    Recently watched 'A Private Little War'...I always liked this one...Kirk and McCoy beam down to an Earth like planet
    and come upon an ambush by two warring tribes...what was Starfleet order No.1 again?...the Prime Directive ?..."non interference of cultures and other civilizations"?...and what does Kirk do witnessing this ambush? ...picks up a rock and throws it,curtailing any ambush attempt.Did Kirk ever face any consequences violating this Prime Directive ?:shh::help::unhunh:

Shawn and boggs like this.
  24. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Just watched "The Galileo Seven". Found myself wondering, if I was under attack by huge, ape-like, spear-hurling beasts, would I take the time to give my fallen comrades a decent burial before getting the hell out of there? No! Let those suckers rot. Spock is not only logical - he's right!

A classic case of colleagues turning against you just because they don't like you, and using whatever rationale they can come up with, no matter how much it defies common sense. (It happens at work too.)

RSteven, Shawn and BeatleJWOL like this.
  25. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Senior Member

Actually, if you look closely, they weren't mini-skirts, per se -- they were short tunics that had a couple of layers to them.