„Star Trek“ original series appreciation thread!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Sgt. Abbey Road, Aug 3, 2022.

1. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I'm watching it on Netflix.
    Was going to watch every episode but there are a few stinkers that I pass over.
    But! The good ones are great!

MikaelaArsenault and RSteven like this.
  2. plugmeintosomething

plugmeintosomething Forum Resident

No stinkers, some just less great than others:)

3. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

You could not find a bigger Trek fan than this guy, but Alternative Factor and The Way to Eden - I'm looking at you.

P.S. I love Spock's Brain in a so bad it is good way

David Campbell and skisdlimit like this.
  4. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

Spocks Brain is great until radio controlled Spock appears. Then it seriously sucks

5. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

Seeing female "aliens" in go-go boots taught me how important the exploration of space is.

fogalu, Jack Lord, sotosound and 7 others like this.
  6. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

I hope I live long enough (couple hundred more years) to see society embrace the fashions which will be so prevalent in Kirk's era

7. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Yes, when women evolve beyond the need for pants.

8. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Forum Resident

I thought for years that it was Roddenberry and the other male producers that wanted the women in those miniskirt uniforms. Then I found out it was actually Nichelle and Grace Lee Whitney that pushed for them. Changed my perception a little. Doesn't change the fact that they looked good in them.

skisdlimit and RSteven like this.
  9. Luke The Drifter

So true. The set up for this one is really good, but man it goes off the rails. Then it is a fun ride because of the silliness.

10. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

The Alternative Factor is so incoherent it seems intentional. Like they were trying to represent the blinking between two world by having nothing make any sense. Including Lazarus' beard being inconsistent. I kinda doubt it.

Way To Eden is actually fairly boring and the "jam sessions" seem like padding to a threadbare plot. Some rogue group commandeers the Enterprise, yawn, who can't do that.

Spock's Brain, the stupid parts are negative IQ level.

Worst of all was And The Children Shall Lead. There's about 15 minutes of that where it's simply painful to watch.

11. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

The flip side of that is how Roddenberry treated guest star Terri Garr:
    Assignment: Earth (episode) | Memory Alpha | Fandom

12. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

A Piece of the Action and I.Mudd are worse than anything done during the Third Season. I could watch The Way To Eden all day vs either of those embarrassing episodes.

Alf. likes this.
  13. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Fascinating. I didn't know that.
    Did they say why they wanted to wear miniskirts?
    What else do you know>?

14. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Maybe Roddenberry et al were pushing for something shorter.

15. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

Roddenberry reportedly spent a considerable amount of time on the set adjusting Sherry Jackson's wardrobe as well.
    [​IMG]

bru87tr and JeffMo like this.
  16. Luke The Drifter

Oddly, I have always liked "And The Children Shall Lead". The notion that they killed all the adults is very creepy. I have always wondered if it was inspiration for "Children of the Corn".

RSteven likes this.
  17. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Forum Resident

I was watching "Where No Man Has Gone Before" (which apparently was the first episode shot but the third episode aired) and it had the crew in different uniforms (more of a turtle-neck design). I found it interesting that the male crew members had a one-piece pull-over design while the female crew members (at least based on Dr. Elizabeth Dehner's uniform) had a long zipper in the back. Made me wonder why the difference and how the women could zip up their uniforms without help?!

sotosound and skisdlimit like this.
  18. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

Eric_Generic, JohnBeas and RSteven like this.
  19. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

TheAbsentMind, JohnBeas and RSteven like this.
  20. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

Celeste Yarnall (Yeoman Martha Landon in The Apple) is the only guest star who asked for her uniform to be even shorter. She said she had just come back from Paris where the women were wearing very mini miniskirts.

JeffMo likes this.
  21. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

That was feminism in those days.

Blackdagger likes this.
  22. Blackdagger

Blackdagger Forum Resident

First series, stories of episodes were realy great. Ok, technology from this point of view can be annoying to people, but that kind of psychedelic vibe of episodes sometimes, drama vibe little bit sometimes as horror, that all was really special. It's cool. Next Generation ater was much more realistic vibe.

23. Bvinyl

Bvinyl Well-Known Member

Still my favorite of all the series. Loved the interaction between Kirk, Spock, and Bones.....

Shawn, Rich-n-Roll and RSteven like this.
  24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have the BD box set...my wife has been bugging me to fire it up! time for a watch I guess and she's also been wanting to watch The Original Twilight Zone... we also have the original TZ series BD box set...just love watching stuff with her...we enjoy talking about the episodes, movies we enjoy together. : )

Last edited: Feb 15, 2023
  25. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Senior Member

I could see why...:agree::uhhuh::pineapple::drool::drool:

As for the "miniskirts" reference, this is a misperception many people have about this outfit style -- if you look closely at these costumes, they weren't really miniskirts as we horny old men know and love them. They were actually very short "tunics" or "wraps" evidenced by the "undergarments" that peeked through every now and then on some of the actresses (you could also tell with regard to the way the front of the "skirt" was kind of a flap).

I tried to find some online images to explain this, but there really weren't any related pics to best show it; I have seen it in more than a few episodes, though.