Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Underrated?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ophelia, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Don't forget, he's half human.

Higlander, Oatsdad and ggergm like this.
  2. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Whaaaaaaaaaaat? Mind. Blown.

Oatsdad likes this.
  3. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Paramount I hope someday will upgrade the wonderful DC of this film from DVD to Blu Ray .. I am sure it can be done !! Technology is getting cheaper and faster ! Maybe for the 55th anniversary? I love the Directors cut of this movie !

agentalbert and Encuentro like this.
  4. i believe it's more like Vulcans live longer than humans. I've never seen any comment about them aging as fast.

5. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I would take to the belief that vulcans age slower on their planet with their sun. Since he is not there & is part human, he will age the same as humans while his Vulcan side allows him to live longer.

6. That's odd everybody I knew recognized him. He was just, well, older.

7. I just take to the belief that he's a human playing a half alien creature. ;)

8. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

I love the original series,and looked forward to the movie,but that thing was..B-O-R-I-N-G,I'm glad they got it right with[Wrath Of Khan].

Spaghettiows likes this.
  9. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

This movie to me stands by itself.
    It bridges the very low budget early acting style of the old TV series, to a newer audience and a huge budget movie.

Nothing they did would be ideal or perfect, but looking back I think I could see a lot of ways to better it.
    But at the time, it was what they did and they learned.
    Sadly they took the story to a comedic route on many of the movies, instead of totally serious and explorations.

Wes H likes this.
  10. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

My favorite Star Trek movie.

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

not around here...I love both cuts.

12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Always thought it was the best looking of all the films. What was the budget ?

13. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

I rank it as the 4th best Star Trek film ever.

1 Wrath of Kahn
    2 The Undiscovered Country
    3 Search For Spock
    4 V-Ger

14. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

Star Trek: The Motion Picture looks great and the visual effects are terrific...but it's just dull. Respect is due for its ambition, but once they launch the Enterprise and get the cast back together the movie just comes to a dead stop.

15. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I see a figure on Wikipedia of $46 million but Box Office Mojo and The Numbers says $35. The first figure may include advertising.

Keep in mind this budget also factors in the money spent on the Phase II TV show.

alexpop likes this.
  16. 40 million before advertising. The budget ballooned because they discovered that Robert Abel and Associates, who had no experience in big budget visual effects apart from Con Pederson’s Work on “2001” over a decade before. They had worked 9n commercials. Trying to be thrifty (or cheap)Paramount accepted their bid. They produced 9ne visual effect that was useable—an explosion when they are trapped in the wormhole created by engine imbalance. It may have been even more than that but Paramount has never disclosed if it was more. It also included unfinished visual effects s9me d9ne at the last minute like the shots of Vulcan which showed Vulcan with a moon...which it doesn’t have. The studio set a premiere date before shooting even started so they had a drop dead date for theaters as it was prebooked by the studio. Hiring Doug Trumbull, John Dykstra both st the last minute, the constant script rewriting done by Roddenberry and Livingston (Roddenberry wanted screen credit but wasn’t assigned as the script writer despite the story which was written by Alan Dean Foster with revisions by Roddenberry—earning him a writing fee—which was based on the rewritten script by Roddenberry. I feel bad for Robert Wise as he had no ideas what he was walking into. It still made a profit Which was slim compared to the total cost of the project. Which is why Harve Bennet was brought onboard to produce a less experience sequel. (Michael Eisner and Barry Dillar reportedly asked Bennet if he could produced a theatrical sequel to Star Trek The Motion Picture for less than 40million. Bennet told him for that amount he could produce 4 films.

alexpop likes this.
  17. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I think this image from one of the documentaries on "The Director's Edition" sums up the production of this Trek film.

[​IMG]

18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

It makes the latest sci fi whatsit The Predator look really trashy in comparison.

19. Indeed. It's actually an intelligent science fiction movie (even if it rehashed part of a TV episode involving Nomad).

I wish that Paramount/CBS would go back and re-render the visual effects like they did for the DVD special edition in 2 or 4K. The revised visuals and Wise's cut was an improvement over the theatrical cut. When I met Wise back in 1984, one of the questions I asked him was about the production on the film and he indicated that his biggest regret was not being able to test it in front of an audience like he usually did because, he felt, the director's cut was what would have resulted and the film would have been better received. Part of the problem was that the film was literally finished at the lab with prints just before the premiere with one of the reels literally having come director from the lab to Mann's theater (if I recall correctly about the premiere). He asked Paramount if he could go back and recut it much as folks like Kubrick had done with 2001 and The Shining but Paramount had a commitment to honor and the cost of sending out new prints or (especially given how the film was reshaped) would have been too expensive and they would have missed the booking dates.

MikeJedi, alexpop and agentalbert like this.
  20. What image would that be (since it's not attached)?

21. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

One more time! (Sorry if that cues Daft Punk in your mental jukebox.)

This is a picture of film prints of The Motion Picture on an MGM soundstage awaiting some effects shots.

[​IMG]

22. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

You notice they're all 35 prints.

23. What a great picture. Wow. it really brings a sense of reality to how involved the post-production was on the film. Although it isn't quite in the same class as "The Day the Earth Stood Still" (at least for me), it holds up pretty well (even if the pacing is a bit turgid by modern standards).

mBen989 likes this.
  24. I don't know if the original digital files still exist for the work they did but they could re-render them using those files which would mean they didn't have to start from scratch. I still hold out hope that Wise's vision of the film finally gets a good Blu-ray or 4K release.

25. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE is showing today and Wednesday on big screens to celebrate the 40th anniversary. It's over at Disney Springs, so I think I'll go.

MikeJedi and No Static like this.