Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Underrated?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ophelia, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

The uniforms bothered me and how often they changed there clothes.
    it made no sense that part.

2. The uniforms on TMP sure look like pajamas but also look nicer to me than the military like uniforms on TWOK.

3. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

My rankings of the six original Trek films:

1. TMP
    2. TUC
    3. TWOK
    4 . TVH
    5. TSFS
    6. TFF

MaestroDavros likes this.
  4. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

Same! Although I’d swap TWOK and TVH.

5. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I saw the Fathom Event re-release of the film on Wednesday.

The blacks were crushed in all the effects sequences. It also looked as though some digital film grain removal had taken place (and in spots the lack of grain was almost shocking).

I found myself wishing they had waited until the 4K ‘Director’s Cut’ was ready. In that version of the film, Spock sends the friendship message and you see the lightning ball actually burn out before striking the shop. The end of the wormhole sequence has a far better transition. There must be at least 50 other improvements in the recut.

6. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

Let's face it, digital has ruined the cinema experience. Not that digital can't be very good, it just usually isn't. I'll say it: it's video, and it now comes to you complete with TV commercials. In the average movie theater, presentations suffer from the poor technical abilities of the staff, and I have specifically suffered this phenomenon on several occasions.
    Some of the premium cinemas do usually get it right, especially the sound, but in the lesser theaters, which is the overwhelming majority, it mostly sucks, with washed out image, light on the screens, low volume levels etc.
    I've even had bad experiences in some premium houses (IMAX) with misaligned dual projection, and the inability of the staff to not only recognize the problem, but also the inability to fix it. There's quite a **** show out there folks, and now more than ever I'm staying home.

7. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Disney's AMC must be one of the "good" theaters. It looked and sounded fine there.

8. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

Those were some very unflattering pyjamas. The long Enterprise "flyby" scene makes me chuckle when Kirk goes "Thank you mr. Scott" right after the shuttle docks.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  9. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

Some of the chains care, Cinemark for instance in my experience; it may also help that they recently got THX to certify their theaters. Some are slipping, and some second tier chains such as Frank theaters are pretty bad.
    I saw Khan in 70mm 6-track Dolby back in '82 and Voyage Home also in 70mm in '86, and the others in 35mm during the heyday of the Dolby/THX Theater Alignment Programs, and the bar has slipped considerably since then.

10. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

When we rarely go to the cinema, we use the Regal chain in this area. Their presentations are always top-notch, both visual- and audio-wise. I have to admit that the digital projection now is better than the film projection of yesteryear.

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

What's your preferred Regal location around here?

I'm closest to Potomac Yards, which is a dump. Springfield is nice and Kingstowne is decent...

12. dougotte

We live in Hyattsville MD, and use that location or Silver Spring. I've never had any issues at either location.

13. Oatsdad

I've been to the SS Regal and it's fine. Never been to the Hyattsville one.

I'm 100% AMC now due to A-List, but I might feel differently if I lived up your way, as the Greenbelt and Beltsville AMCs - the ones I think are closest to you - are dumps!

I have a friend in Greenbelt and I refuse to see movies up her way because those AMCs are so crummy!

BTW, are you aware Regal now has a "subscription" plan?

14. dougotte

I think I read something about it, but we really only go to the cinema around twice a year, so it's probably not worth it.

However, after seeing TMP the other day, it reminded how the experience is so much more enjoyable than watching on the plasma at home - except for the wine and cats!

15. Oatsdad

Yeah, if you only go twice a year, the subscription plan would be a massive waste of money!

I go to a lot of movies, so A-List is a wonderful plan. At $22/month, I'm basically in the black if I only go to 2 movies/month, and I typically see at least 6, so it's a great money saver.

I also find A-List makes me way more open to seeing movies I'd otherwise skip. In my mind, each movie is "free" - I've already paid AMC, so I might as well go.

In addition, I'm more willing to splurge for concessions. I enjoy my popcorn, and I can justify the $10 combo more readily when the movie itself only costs me like $4! :)

dougotte likes this.
  16. jtiner, budwhite and MikeJedi like this.
  17. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

STTMP in 4K BD Directors with a wonderful mix to Atmos by Mr Botnick. My Oppo 205 and OLED can’t wait !!!!!!! Excited !!!! :). I just saw the restored soundtrack and movie in the theaters when fathom events did it and it is the absolute best I have ever heard it sound. When I was a kid I was too young too see it on its first run in the theater. Can’t wait for the amazing 4K edition !! So glad Paramount is doing this. They will sell these. Hopefully we will also see ST II WOK as well in a restored 4K edition (might be easier because there is already a BD Directors edition that rocks ) :)

budwhite likes this.
  18. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

If they're really moving ahead with this, it's encouraging to hear that the audio is going to get special treatment. That's one of the things I really like about the director's cut - the audio seems so much better balanced and open than on the original TMP, where the audio is fatiguing (to me).

19. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

I would say it's underrated. I grew up watching them on my dad's VHS tapes, and while it's not the best movie, it's nowhere close to being the worst, imho.

In my original series movies ranking, I would rate it:

The Search For Spock
    The Wrath Of Khan
    The Motion Picture
    The Voyage Home*
    The Undiscovered Country
    The Final Frontier

*I actually loved The Voyage Home when I was a kid, mostly for the whales lol. But compared to some of the other movies, it just has not aged as well to me.

20. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

It's a decent film that just feels a bit bloated. Too many scenes drag on longer than they need to, which makes the pacing of the film feel glacially slow in places. Still, it has its charms and I think it's held up rather well.

21. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

From what I recall the Directors Cut was only ever rendered at DVD quality, and the assets are now lost as the company that processed the visuals went bankrupt. The Directors Cut is much better, and very very good. The theatrical cut is ponderous, slow, and tedious.

22. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I'm a big fan of ST:MP, but unless the new Blu-ray contains all 3 versions of the film, I'll probably pass.

23. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster A skeptical believer....

The slow, extended shot of the Enterprise made my head explode when I first saw it....and still does. One of my all time Star Trek 'magic moments'.

MikeJedi and budwhite like this.
  24. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster A skeptical believer....

Yes, that's about my only critique of "The Motion Picture"; some cutting/editing of a few parts to tighten them is in order here IMO. I don't mind drawn out, slow paced movies at all but TMP does really crawl in spots.

Doctor Worm likes this.
  25. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

One of mine too. I loved how they presented the Enterprise as a cast member in a grand way. She's been through a lot with the rest of the cast. She is a member of the cast! My opinion.

MikeJedi and budwhite like this.