Star Trek: The Next Generation in HD (part2)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MilesSmiles, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

My ratings for the episodes of the 5th season. It was a very strong season overall, but there were a few duds.

In term of PQ and AQ, it's again outstanding on blu-ray. Excellent set that's well worth the money.

If you have Amazon Prime, you can sample the HD remasters of the first 3 seasons of TNG there. It's streaming, and so it's not as good as the blu-rays, but it still looks great and give you a good sense of what these look like...

1. Redemption II: A
    2. Darmok: A+
    3. Ensign Ro: A
    4. Silicon Avatar: B+
    5. Disaster: A
    6. The Game: A-
    7. & 8. Unification I & II: A
    9. A Matter of Time: B
    10. New Ground: B
    11. Hero Worship: B
    12. Violations: D
    13. The Masterpiece Society: C+
    14. Conundrum: A-
    15. Power Play: C
    16. Ethics: A-
    17. The Outcast: B
    18. Cause and Effect: A-
    19. The First Duty: A
    20. Cost of Living: D
    21. The Perfect Mate: D
    22. Imaginary Friend: C
    23. I, Borg: B+
    24. The Next Phase: A
    25. The Inner Light: A+
    26. Time's Arrow: A

http://www.onlineconversion.com/grade_point_average.htm

That comes up with an average of "B" for the season, which seems a bit harsh. No extra points were awarded for the 2 A+s, and so if that is added in it would be a B+ for the season as a whole, which seems about right.

2. benjaminhuf

Another great demonstration of how much the picture quality of Star Trek: The Next Generation has improved in going from standard definition to high definition. Put together by TrekCore.com, this is part two of "The Best of Both Worlds," which was the premiere episode of the 4th season way back in the Fall of 1990. It's needs to be watched full screen in at least 720 to fully appreciate the differences:

3. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

I wonder if that will help or hinder their restoration. Firefly was shot on 35 mm and remastered in 1080p for BD but scenes with special effects were upscaled from 480p rather than being re-rendered. One would hope that for Voyager and DS9, CBS will go to the effort of re-rendering all of the special effects in HD. AFAIK the original files still exist but they might need a polygon count increase to look good when rendered in HD.

benjaminhuf likes this.
  4. Not sure if the files still exist for Voyage but, as I recall, the company that did them for DS9 still has them and did an upgrade just to show what it would look like. Can't recall where I saw this though. The bigger question is if Paramount would be willing (or CBS Home video in this case) to spend the extra money to rescan the orignal negs/interpositive for the upgrade.

Enterprise, for example, which was shot on film and prepped for HD from the beginning except for the visual effects, looks decent but not great in BD. the visual effects for the show were upgraded to 720p as I recall for seasons 3 and 4 which resulted in an improvement on BD.

There IS money to be made with both Voyage and DS9 For the streaming services as they upgrade to their version of HD so it's possible whether or not they end up on BD is the question. I hope so.

benjaminhuf likes this.
  5. benjaminhuf

Future Imperfect, SD to HD. Produced by Trekcore.com....Best watched full screen in 720 or 1080.

6. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

B+???? Blasphemy!!! I Borg is one of the series finest and contains everything that was great about TNG. I duno, maybe I am in the minority here - let's see what people think

benjaminhuf likes this.
  7. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

I have not seen the acual Blu rays, but on those before and after comparisons, everything tends to look a bit too pink or red.

The before looks too green...lol

benjaminhuf likes this.
  8. benjaminhuf

Yeah, maybe I, Borg was an A-. It really did set up what later happened with Seven of Nine nicely.

9. benjaminhuf

I think the actual blu-rays look better than these comparisons. The youtube videos do look a bit too "red." But you do get a good idea of how much better these look when compared with the old videos.

kevintomb likes this.
  10. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

HUGH!

[​IMG]

benjaminhuf likes this.
  11. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

The only good Borg is a dead Borg! :righton:

12. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

I don't have a permalink for it but I've seen that info floating around the Trek sites as well. Supposedly all the most important information, all the activity and placement in space(!) of the digital models is intact. All that would need to be done is to put higher resolution skins on the digital models, as well as, I suppose, the lighting passes and such; most of the heavy lifting is done and still exists, though.

benjaminhuf likes this.
  13. benjaminhuf

The problem, however, is that after blockbuster sales of the blu-ray set for the first season of Next Generation, sales have fallen significantly for the subsequent seasons.

But there are still the streaming revenues from itunes, Amazon and the like. Maybe they are more important? That's not clear.

And, to state the obvious, DS9 doesn't have quite as large of a fan base as TNG. It does have a very strong fan base though, with many of those fans saying DS9 is the best of all of the Treks. And I think there are tens of thousands of new fans who might get into the show enough to buy the blu-rays if given a chance.

Still, my guess is that the expensive rebuild of DS9 is "on the bubble" for CBS. We should hear in the next several months.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  14. Part of the problem was that they began showing ST:TNG on Netflix, reruns on BBC America, etc. and while these may not always be the same remastered versions, I think that it robs the series sales of some momentum. What they need to do is to put a moratorium on the series being broadcast in any capacity for a Period of time. That might help but, once again, Paramount is overexposing Trek like they did before in favor of greed.

benjaminhuf likes this.
  15. benjaminhuf

That's an interesting thought. If they'd pulled Trek from circulation a la Disney, that probably would have helped sales. But only a small fraction of people who watch Trek are actually going to pay for these blu-ray sets, as great as they are....

16. benjaminhuf

Chain of Command, one of the best two-part episodes in Star Trek history, is being released as a "movie" blu-ray this summer. A decade before the controversy about "enhanced interrogation," this episode explored this issue in a dramatic way. It doesn't surprise me to hear from Patrick Stewart that they consulted with Amnesty International when they were making this.

17. David Warner's terrifying performance as Picard's Cardassian interrogator/torturer chilled me to the bone...

wayneklein and benjaminhuf like this.
  18. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Maybe they should have started off with season 7 and went backwards!

But seriously, Paramount and associates are hopefully taking the long view with this investment. It'll pay.

Hope it doesn't shock you to hear it's also a rare TNG story that I never want to see again.

Boy, between sticking in the Trek and Who threads I'm just Major Geek in the video forums lately.

benjaminhuf likes this.
  19. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!". Good episodes!

aarsonbet and benjaminhuf like this.
  20. benjaminhuf

While we wait for season 6 on blu-ray....

Now that they've been putting together two-part episodes as "feature-length presentations" for a while now, how would you rank the Next Gen TV-"movies"?

Here's my list

1. All Good Things
    2. Chain of Command
    3. The Best of Both Worlds
    4. Unification
    5. Time's Arrow
    6. Redemption
    7. Birthright
    8. Gambit
    9. Encounter at Farpoint
    10. Descent

Have I missed one?

I'd say the first 6 are all quite good, but the last 4 are only so-so.

21. benjaminhuf

First glimpse of DS9 in HD:

22. It was a kick in the head to hear Brent Spiner speaking in his native Texas dialect in "A Fistful Of Datas"...he did a great job of hiding it for the entire run of the series in character!!! :laugh:

benjaminhuf and kevintomb like this.
  23. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

All Good Things is my overall favorite episode. Way to go out on top!

benjaminhuf likes this.
  24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Correction: Star Trek: Enterprise was shot in film for the three seasons and then switched to shooting on 24p HD tape (on I think a Sony F900 camera) in Vancouver for the last season in 2004...

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Enterprise

25. You're right about when the changeover happened but I think it was shot in L.A. Not Vancouver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.