Star Trek (TOS) - Narration on 1st 2 S1 Episodes?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Benjamin Edge, Dec 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benjamin Edge

Benjamin Edge Forum Resident Thread Starter

This narration by none other than William Shatner is what we hear at the start of every episode of the classic Star Trek (1966-69) except, perhaps ironically, on one episode: "Where No Man Has Gone Before," a re-edit job of the unsold second pilot episode; the re-edited version became the third broadcast episode on NBC.

But, for those of you who used to watch the series on NBC, the first two episodes of the show's inaugural season of 1966-67, "The Man Trap" and "Charlie X," actually had a slightly different version of this narration, which meant the fourth episode, "The Naked Time," was the first to carry the version of the narration we're used to. Can anyone please elaborate what William Shatner used to say during the first half of the intro on these first two episodes?

~Ben

2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Memory Alpha doesn't indicate any different narration, only a couple of different credits:

The Man Trap (episode)

Charlie X (episode)

There were earlier drafts of the narration that circulate that may be what you're thinking of:
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/5864819/read-the-first-drafts-of-the-star-trek-opening-monlogue

Benjamin Edge likes this.
  3. Benjamin Edge

I found another link about the spoken narration here:
    UCLA Library

And here is where I found out about how the main titles evolved:
    Star Trek Fact Check: On Credits and Creators: Star Trek's Evolving Main Titles

~Ben

4. Benjamin Edge

Here's what John80220 had told me about this, in response to my comment on this video...

The bolded text in the above quote refers to what I am curious about.

He also tells me that the electric violin version of the theme tune that was restored on the opening titles of the first 13 episodes (in order of production!), as represented on the 1999 2-episode DVD sets and the 2004 season 1 DVD set, came from either episode 4 ("The Naked Time") or episode 6 ("Mudd's Women").

~Ben

Simon A likes this.
  5. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

I suspect that refers to it being a different recording, not different text.

Yes, even the "original mono" soundtracks on the Blu-ray have issues, according to some.

Benjamin Edge likes this.
  6. Benjamin Edge

Like if Bill had the cold that day recording for "The Man Trap" had commenced...

~Ben

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  7. Benjamin Edge

Shatner's narration was actually very fast on these first two episodes; most notable is the very brief pause between "These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise" and "Its five-year mission..."

In addition, "The Man Trap" actually first used the main and end title themes from the original 1965 version of "Where No Man Has Gone Before" when originally shown on NBC.

~Ben

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.