STAR TREK TOS Season 1 out today

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JonUrban, Aug 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497 Thread Starter

Best Buy has "18" per store with an "extra" DVD.

I can't decide whether to wait for the full series set allegedly coming out in December, or getting the 3 sets at BB as they come out with the bonus DVD.

Decisions, decisions.......................

What are you guys going to do?

:-jon

2. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Jon: I'm fighting over the same decision, and have not decided, either. I am leaning toward getting each season separately.

3. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I ordered mine from amazon.com - only $84.49 with free shipping. Best Buy is $106.99 (but does come with a bonus disc).

Truthfully though, most of my time will be spent with the episodes and not the extras (which I understand from some websites to be OK not great).

4. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

I was sitting on the fence as well, but I received an email with a $10 Off coupon from Buy.com yesterday, so I decided to take the plunge. I got the set for $74.48, so even if I am unhappy with it, I am fairly confident that I will be able to unload it and still be ahead of the game. The first season is far and away my favorite. On average, season two has its fair share of great episodes. Season three on the other hand, does not do much for me. Unfortunately, they are supposedly sticking "The Cage" (which I like a lot) in the season three set. I may just cherry-pick that episode along with the other few season three episodes I want from the older twofer releases.

Gary

5. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

What's on the "bonus" disc?

6. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

Probably not the famed "blooper reels" that I so love.

7. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

2 docs:Kiss & Tell In The 24th Century & Trek Connections.

Buy the discs now to make sure you get the bonus discs (the material which is already included with the regular sets in Region 2--but was separated out for the USA). The combined set is just supposed to be all 3 sets (WITHOUT the 3 bonus discs) shrink-wrapped together, like South Park.
    Use Circuit City or Targets' $99.99 ads to have BB price match, and you're good to go!

8. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Any word on the quality of the set compared to the original single disc releases?

9. crazywater

crazywater Dangerous Dreamer...

Best price so far I have seen is...

Costco, $81.99....

10. Mister Kite

According to Bill Hunt's Digital Bits review, the same digital source was used for the new transfer (confirmed to him by the studio) as the single disc twofers. The overall image quality may (and that is the operative word depending on your playback system) appear slightly improved, but this is a result of better compression techniques being used today. DVD File also gave it a favorable review and especially likes the 5.1 audio. YMMV.

Gary

11. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

here is a link that reviews it:

http://www.dvdmg.com/startrektoss1.shtml

My question is...how are the menus? Star Trek TNG had nice menusto navigate. The Star Trek TOS 2-fers were barebones....

Brian

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...how on earth did they come up with a $129.00 LIST? Does anyone else find this excessive? Geez, they been milking the Trekkies for years!, about time for a financial break, yes?...:rolleyes:

13. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497 Thread Starter

This review is by our own SH member "Oatsdad"! :righton:

14. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I own all the individual DVD's. Do you guys as well? Why buy again??? Do you plan on selling the individual DVD's?

I have spent a ton on TOS.... :shake: :shake: :shake:

15. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

I'm in the same boat $$$$$wise. Once again, though, how are the menus? Also, will they restore the missing audio of Patterns of Force on the DVD 2-fer?

Brian

16. Mister Kite

I agree, this is excessive (and typical of Paramount when it comes to the Star Trek franchise,) but unfortunately, it is not without precedence. Thirteen episodes of The Sopranos typically lists for $99.99, and when Fox began releasing The X-Files season-by-season, they retailed for $100 each. It all boils down to popularity and demand. Based on the fact that Paramount successfully sold 40 single DVD's (with 2 episodes per disc) for $20 each, they know this will sell at this price point. Heck, it is even cheap by comparison. :rolleyes:

Gary

17. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Question, did the 2-episode DVD's that came out that spilled the complete series - Since all that came out, was there anything wrong with that? Was it because each disc was only ~70-90 minutes and became more expensive?

I have the 1st 2 DVD's with the yellow jackets. Is there some sort of improvements?

I'd have to say passing on the bonus disc doesn't sound unreasonable.

18. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

19. Mister Kite

Skott, every indication is that the season sets do contain new transfers, but they are made from the exact same source as the single discs (the Sci-Fi Channel remasters.) As I mentioned earlier, whatever improvements have been made, are subtle and solely do to better mastering technology. The big attraction here is the overall lower price and the convenience of single season sets. My set has not arrived yet so I cannot comment on whether some of the single disc mastering glitches were corrected for these new sets (the most annoying of which is a video jitter throughout much of "The City on the Edge of Forever," which depending on your playback setup is very pronounced, or negligible.) Bill Hunt over at the Digital Bits has relayed these glitches to Paramount and said he will post the studio's response to this review thread at Home Theater Forum.

Gary

20. cliff barua

cliff barua New Member

I have a few of the season 1 and 2 two-fers that I will unload (about 6 in total) and get those two sets (got season 1 yesterday at Best Buy; I haven't checked it out yet). The one two-fer that I'll keep is Number 40 (The Cage and the final episode, Turnabout Intruder). The third season didn't do much for me.

The price point is really not that bad. Even excusing inflation, how much were those original single episode VHS tapes that they sold? 15-20 bucks?? I still believe that considering what you get, DVD continues to be the value of the universe :agree: .

Cliff :)

21. rpd

rpd Senior Member

With regard to some of the problems noted with a few of the DVD's, are these same problems are the VHS versions? If not, are there a few VHS episodes that should be kept...or acquired??? If so, which ones?

22. rpd

rpd Senior Member

If I get the new set, does anyone think that it is necessary to keep any of the DVD 2-fers? If so, which ones and why??? I have them all...

23. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

I had to get the set and I will ask for the 2nd season for winter holiday or my birthday. I dont know if I will get the 3rd season or not. I guess it depends on how much I enjoy the first two. I just love putting the disc in for the menu music. It's the background sounds from the bridge.

24. dcooper

dcooper New Member

The reviews I've read seem to suggest that there's not a dramatic improvement over the 2fers. That being said, if you already have the 2fers, you're only missing out on the bonus material in the box set (and the extra shelf space you'd save if you replaced the 2fers with the box sets).

25. John Oteri

John Oteri New Member In Memoriam

In case guys didn't already know...Scotty finally got his star on Hollywood's Walk of Fame yesterday. :goodie:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.