STAR TREK TOS Season 1 out today

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JonUrban, Aug 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Sorry for so many posts....so you we saying that the standard season 1 package that I would buy from Amazon, for example, would include no bonus discs, just the episodes themselves??? The only bonus discs available are the Best Buy ones?

2. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

I got my Season 1 on Tuesday (Region 2) and the eighth disc is all bonus stuff!

3. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Sounds like the Best Buy package is about $20 bucks more than the Amazon price...I am a big fan of TOS.....do you guys feel that the bonus disc is worth the difference?

4. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

OK. Disc 8 in ALL boxes is bonus MATERIAL. Then there is also a 9th disc that is the BB-only disc that we are talking about. It includes 2 extra docs that are on the region 2 disc 8s, but have been removed from the US set, to only be included with ones bought at BB.

5. Larry Geller

I had them match CC's $99.99 price, so the diff was less than $20.00, and to me, it is worth it..

6. rpd

rpd Senior Member

This new set is 5.1 sound. So how does this set sound for someone (like me) that does not have surround? Is there also a mono track? If not, will I be disappointed with the non-surround sound? As compared to the 2-fers I already own???

7. Larry Geller

The new set adds a 2.0 stereo track that was not on the old discs, so you're OK.

8. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Curious, when an old show that was not recorded in stereo (I am assuming it was not) gets "stereoized", does the new stereo track sound funky/weird?

What I am really getting at is is there any reason NOT to sell my 2-fers...I'd sure like to sell them and recover some of my new $$$$ spent...

9. Larry Geller

Sell 'em. I did.

10. rpd

rpd Senior Member

What do you think would be better $$$ wise, sell the entire set now, or sell them separately as the other new sets come out?

11. RickHunter

RickHunter New Member

A hundred bucks?! Sorry, I'm not THAT big of a fan. Seriously, why in Khan's name is every dvd collection of every Star Trek derivative going for a hundred bucks? I don't see ANY other complete season dvd set out there that's close to that mark. I think it's just arrogance. If I feel the need to relive the ST go-go years, then I'll watch for it on ebay.....

Excellent captain........excellent.

Attached Files:

12. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

I have been watching this set the past several days and completely forgot how much I truly enjoyed TOS! I burned out on Star Trek many, MANY years ago and never followed any of the spin-off series. After viewing these episodes for the first time in more than fifteen years, I must admit that I have once again succumbed to the unpredictable, cheesy charm of the "original 79!" From the out-of-nowhere song stylings of Uhura... and the seemingly endless transporter & engine problems... to Grace Lee Whitney's incredible mile-high hairdo... its all there... and it is even more fun than I remember! I can't wait to pick up the next two volumes!!

Gary

BTW, thanks to these stellar new DVD transers, I am now convinced that Enterprise crew members have the sweatiest, shiniest foreheads in the entire sci-fi universe. I can't tell you the last time I've seen so much glycerin in one place! :D

13. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

The X-Files is also up there, as is Six Feet Under (IIRC).

Actually, the X-Files sets were originall even higher, and have just recently been knocked down to the $90 range. Result? Tons of pirates on eBay.

14. cliff barua

cliff barua New Member

I see where you're coming from ....... the magic $100 price point would put people off. I think one needs to assess the hours/dollar factor to see if a set is worth those extra bucks. There's also the quality of show aspect that could be factored in. Therefore, HBO shows like Sopranos, Six Feet Under and Band Of Brothers (by way of their reputed quality, one might justify the $70 or $80 for approximately 12-15 hours of programming). With the Star Trek Season 1 set, you're getting about 25-30 hours of programming with perhaps some dud episodes in there. I'm sure there are more costlier tv sets when guaged on the hour per dollar ratio.

Cliff :)

15. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Since the Star Trek TOS season one can be had at Amazon for $85 and it's on 8 DVDs ($10 per DVD) that is competitive considering the Mash season box sets ran me at Best Buy $30 or so each (3 DVDs). Both of those had about 3 to 4 hours of programming per DVDs (8 26 minute episodes, or 4 51 minute episodes).

Now, the Star Trek Voyager season one box WAS priced outrageous. That had 5 DVDs for over $110. $22 per DVD. No excuse!

Now, Star Trek season two and three seems to be 8 DVD sets also. Given 26 episodes for season two and 26 episodes for season three (24 plus the two versions of The Cage), 7 DVDs are plenty. But they probably would price them the same.

Brian

16. fyrfytrhoges

fyrfytrhoges New Member

can some trekkie geek please tell me why the episodes on disc one are out of sequence. i realize that they were played on television that way, but why?

17. btomarra

I'm not a Trekkie Geek, but I am a trekker, so I can give it a shot....

I believe I read where they wanted the first episode of Star Trek to have an alien on it (The Man Trap, ie salt creature). Also Catspaw was aired at Halloween (fitting) though it was the first produced for the second season. I know we may be used to Star Trek being in production order. That is the way it has appeared in syndication, but it did not originally air that way.

Frankly, I like the air date order.

And, lest we forget Star Trek TNG did not appear in production order either. If it did Symbiosis would appear after Skin of Evil (meaning Tasha Yar would be dead and then brought back to life). Further proof is in the fact that in Symbiosis, in the scene in the cargo bay, when the doors closed, Denise Crosby waved goodbye to her fans. This was the last episode with her in it. Also Unification II would appear before Unification I. Just doesn't make sense.

Brian

18. deepsky4565

deepsky4565 Forum Resident

Sorry to disagree, but I like the production order for TOS. TNG is a whole different animal. Unification was shot that way around Nimoy's schedule. I especially like the production order the first season where you see the progression of the characters much better. In TOS, NBC called the shots on order, but in TNG Paramount did. Big difference. Oh well, they had to screw up something.

19. btomarra

Nothing to disagree about. I was merely expressing how I feel about the air date/production run order.

And that may explain the Unification situation, however if you look at the Star Trek TNG season one and note the episode numbers (production run numbered) and note how they were aired, you get the following The Last Outpost was aired BEFORE Where No One Has Gone Before, though it was produced after; Episode #105 Haven appeared between episodes #111 and #113; #112 Too Short a Season came between #116 and #118. I could go on...In other words all out of order.

Okay, TOS and TNG were out of production order for two different reasosn, but they WERE both aired out of production order. That's all I was stating. No one seemed to mind it for TNG. I don't. To me, I became tired of expecting what TOS episode came after the last one since it has been aired in production order for years. To me the change is refreshing. Not many would agree with me, and that's fine. Your opinion is just as valuable.

Brian

20. fyrfytrhoges

fyrfytrhoges New Member

thanks for the answers, that was really bugging me!

21. deepsky4565

deepsky4565 Forum Resident

At least they're all in one package now. Trek on!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.