Star Wars - Andor (coming September 2022)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BeatleJWOL, May 26, 2022.

1. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

After the dreadfully lightweight Mandalorian, Boba and Obi-Wan, Andor is a breath of fresh air. Well written and genuinely interesting.

2. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Just A Flea-Bit Peanut Monkey

If you do decide to give it a go watch at least the first 3 episodes before quitting if you don't like it. The first 2 episodes in particular are a slow burn, slow but not boring, before things start to pick up pace in the 3rd.

For what it's worth I think that this show is great and can't wait for each new episode to land on Wednesday mornings.

Vidiot, CantonJester and thegage like this.
  3. nutsfortubes

nutsfortubes They tried to kill us, and we won!

HA HA HA I always have a nice day.

4. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

It's a LOT of set up for what comes next...episodes 6 & 7 are worth the wait.

GentleSenator likes this.
  5. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

This show is what I wanted the prequels to be. Don’t get me wrong, I love the grand scale, epic Jedi vs Sith stuff. But this show is exploring all the political and logistical stuff I wondered endlessly about when I was a kid. How does the Empire actually work? What is life like for the trillions of citizens who aren’t like force sensitive wizards? How did the rebellion come together and pay for all that gear? I imagine we’ll be seeing Bail Organa (and possibly Leia) again before too long.

The dialog is fantastic and everything feels real in a way that a lot of Star Wars stuff doesn’t. And the fight against ascendant fascism feels very timely.

6. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Good analogy with Force 10. I too got strong old WWII film vibes. It's how they gather the team, lay out the plan, show the enemy (Empire) and how they are unaware of what's coming. All unfolding in a measured pace slowly building suspense. All very much like those classic war films.

This show is such a slow burn but I have liked it a lot. The writing is good and the acting is great too.

It isn't easy to find a well done show these days.

7. Voodoo Child

Just watched episode 8 and this show just keeps getting better and better.
    Excellent.

8. FredHubbard

FredHubbard Forum Resident

will this get a release outside of Disney ? DVD/ Blu ray ?

9. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

And to think that a lot pf people questioned if we even NEEDED this series...

10. Voodoo Child

Probably not. None of the Star Wars or Marvel shows that have so far been made for Disney+ have yet had a DVD/Blu ray release.

11. FredHubbard

FredHubbard Forum Resident

According to Amazon Obi wan Kenobi and Mandalorian DVD have been released

12. Voodoo Child

I believe that they are fakes, not official releases.

FredHubbard likes this.
  13. omikron

I love the Euro techno 70s warbly LP music in episode 8.

A popular trend right now with things like the Stranger Things main title and a few Pet Shop Boys Hotspot tracks as an example.

Lars Medley likes this.
  14. omikron

I know. Who would have guessed that Andor was going to turn out being the most mature and realistically engaging Star Wars show to date.

What a surprisingly rewarding season 1 this has been.

15. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Heavy THX 1138 vibes in this last episode.

16. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

I feel like this series is picking up now these last few episodes. It does very much play like a British drama - as essentially that's what it's turned out to be, so is a bit dry at times, and Andor himself is not particularly engaging or likeable, but still enjoying all the Imperial stuff.

17. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I was kinda onboard after the first 3 episodes but man, 4 and 5 are a slog. It is *all* talking. It's also got Rogue One-itis, everybody is one-note and dull. Stellan Skarsgard is the only person that's any fun to watch.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
  18. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I don't think it's that surprising, considering that most people liked Rogue One better than 1-3, 7-9 and the other TV series.

19. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Another really good episode with number 8. This show is starting to pick up steam. Love the THX1138 feel from the Narkina 5 prison factory, as mentioned above. I wonder if anyone will have one of those white and orange inmate uniforms as a costume this Halloween. Simple, but very cool.

Curveboy and Leviethan like this.
  20. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Picking up steam in Hour 8!

FACE OF BOE and GentleSenator like this.
  21. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i am really, really liking this show. there is so much to appreciate. that being said, sometimes it feels like it is taking itself way too seriously. like teetering on being laughable. but somehow it never completely goes there.

i'm amazed that andor is now imprisoned. i didn't think that would actually happen.

Leviethan likes this.
  22. Voodoo Child

At the risk of repeating myself, I've got to say that episode 9 is yet another great episode in this superb series.

Piiijiii, Curveboy, Leviethan and 3 others like this.
  23. omikron

Man this show was such a slow burn out of the gate but boy it is paying off now.

We seem to forget that not every show has to be an action spectacular right out of the gate.

Telling a great story well with good writing and good acting ends up being way more rewarding.

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Man, I hope it's not plastic/rubber-faced CGI Leia...

[​IMG]

Leviethan and boggs like this.
  25. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

A very good grown up Star Wars series. Love it! Well acted and a superb plot. Although, I don't see where they are headed with the extended prison sequences.

GentleSenator and Leviethan like this.