Star Wars - Andor (coming September 2022)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BeatleJWOL, May 26, 2022.

1. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I'm slowly making my way through this, albeit somewhat begrudgingly. Am I supposed to treat Episodes 7-9 as another "mini-movie"?

2. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

There’s a theory making the rounds that Luthien’s partner “Kleya” is actually Leia. Either way I love her :love:

I mean Leia would be what, 15 at this point in the timeline? So yeah it’s not her.

Vidiot likes this.
  3. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

One of those prisoners is part of Andor’s crew in Rogue One. So it will show us how they team up and escape. Andy Serkis is a great actor. It’s so cool to see him as just a guy, not a CGI freakazoid. He reaction when they realized they were never getting out was amazing.

4. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

I am three episodes in and, so far, everything has been bad.

Vidiot likes this.
  5. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

seems that way. the show feels like 4x 3episode packages.

6. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

I also feel the same way about Serkis' performance. It has been excellent and that scene you mention is for sure a great one.

I think they prison scenes will pay off in one of two interesting ways. 1, at some point the Empire is going to discover that they already have the man they are hunting and Andor will jump from the frying pan into the fire or 2, the Empire will discover that the man they've been hunted just escaped from their possession before they even realize they had him.

Either scenario should be interesting to watch.

7. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

It's building up to something...and boy is it worth it by Episode 6.

8. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Just A Flea-Bit Peanut Monkey

Bad in what way?

9. shug4476

?

Weak script, poor acting, uninteresting characters, not much sense of a plot. All the usual things one would look for in a high quality production, are absent.

Honestly the most annoying thing is the set design - when did you ever see a red brick in Star Wars? It looks like they filmed it in East London.

Vidiot likes this.
  10. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

yeah, heaven forbid we finally get to see more than tatooine, the bridge of the millennium falcon, or random death star!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
  11. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Apparently they are quite common.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Yeah, red bricks, that pissed me off too. I live in a house made of red bricks and they expect me to believe that they have them in a galaxy far, far away.
    Utterly ridiculous.

13. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

It definitely is the most 'humanlike' of all the Star Wars stories so far, if it had not been called Star Wars and someone said this is based a few hundred years in the future or something you could believe that more.

Strangely hardly any droids and non-human lifeforms are in it, I can't recall any which is weird.

That said, I have warmed to it, and am still watching it.

omikron likes this.
  14. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I am warming to it too, but MAN is it talky. That said, when stuff finally happens it's pretty effective. Watched the 7th episode last night and that bit with the Imperial droid at the end was freaky.

omikron and GentleSenator like this.
  15. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Episode 9 was fantastic. Everybody had fantastic scenes. Denise Gough, Kyle Soller and Andy Serkis we are all pretty amazing.

16. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Well there is that red droid that lives with Andor on Ferrix. A bit on the cutesy side and kind of reminds me of Vincent and Bob from The Black Hole. But they haven't gone over the top with it, which I appreciate.

Another barn burner with episode 9!

17. shug4476

Well I stuck it out to Episode 6 and it still hasn't improved by much.

18. Voodoo Child

I'm surprised that you carried on watching after finding the first 3 episodes to be so bad.
    Do you like any of the previous Star Wars shows?

19. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I finished episode ten. I loved the whole series.

20. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Damn, this just keeps getting better and better.

I wish Tony Gilroy was in charge of the sequels.

21. Voodoo Child

Loved episode 10. Andy Serkis has been great these few episodes. The scene at the end with Luthen and the spy was superb. Looking forward to the last two episodes.

I'm left wondering how much better Obi-Wan Kenobi could have been if it had been made with the same level of writing and production values as Andor.
    For the most part I enjoyed Kenobi but it feels more like a lost opportunity the more I watch Andor.

22. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

Yeah, each episode has got better and better for sure, it slowly reels you in - despite an unpromising start - but I've learnt my lesson there. I like the fact that there is a big cast of characters with their own stories, it's certainly a lot more compelling than the Obi Wan Kenobi series which I thought was the worst of the new series.

omikron and Pete Puma like this.
  23. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Ryan's Easter egg videos are great. I love how he breaks down the doublespeak when Mon is talking to Davos. He also does it with Luthen's monologue at the end.

I used to make fun of my kids for watching these, now I find them essential.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
    omikron likes this.
  24. I am not surprised by the quality of the series as I view Rogue One the best of the prequels by a large measure.

25. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Weak script and poor acting? Is this by any chance your first foray into Star Wars-themed productions? Your expectations seem sky high by franchise standards.:laugh:

I've found there to be two dull episodes out of ten so far, so I have a quibble with the plotting/pacing, but definitely not the scripts as written nor the acting.

The series has multiple environments including some spectacular locations, so the production value is sky high even if it is not evident in the first three episodes (which probably should have been condensed into two).