Star Wars coming to Blu-ray!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bryan, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JOSERENATO

JOSERENATO Forum Resident

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in joy!!

2. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

3. JOSERENATO

JOSERENATO Forum Resident

Now in Amazon.us:

List Price: $139.99
    Price: $89.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details

4. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr. Thread Starter

I wanna know who in their right mind would buy the box set of JUST the prequels?

5. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Yes, but finally with full 16bit digital stereo sound. :evil:

6. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Someone I don't take film recommendations from.

7. Bryan

But they'll still be non-anamorphic, because that's just how much Lucas hates us all.

8. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering.

9. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

10. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

Kids LOVE the prequels!

11. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

No one outside Lucasfilm has seen more than 3 hours of the extras (deleted scenes, alternate scenes, screen tests, and more). I've been told that they may even include Sylvester Stallone's screen test for Han Solo (must be hilarious, no?).

12. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

"Secret Santa" gift for someone you don't like or other gag gifts?

Someone may buy the "real" trilogy then later get the other 3 movies to complete the collection. Believing the upcoming hype rather than past reviews.

13. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

It's sad but true for me as well. :thumbsdn: While the pic quality (and likely audio as well) is predictably nowhere in the same league as the blu ray releases will be, the old 'faces' laserdiscs are still my 'go to' copies for preserving my good memories of the franchise. I believe the dvd releases of the OT were direct ports of these but without the nice PCM soundtracks of the lds.

14. Bryan

True, but I'm sure they also love the original films as well.

The number of people who love the prequels but don't like the originals has to be a very, very small market. But the number of people who only like the original trilogy but don't care for the prequels is much, much larger.

I'm sure the the prequel-only box will sell, it's just funny to me to think that there are people out there who would want ONLY the prequels.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Alderaan!

The problem with old movies is not just the grain, but inconsistent grain. In the case of a movie like Star Wars, what's technically possible is to remove 100% of the grain, sharpen the picture (and not sharpening the grain), then taking a sample of the original grain and applying it back to the entire movie. That way, you have "real" grain, but it's at a fixed level and never changes.

There's nothing wrong with grain management if it's done well.

I think there's well over 1000 altered shots, plus a new mix. It'd be a very tough authoring challenge to put all both the new version and the original version on the same disc. It'd make more sense just to put out a separate disc for each original theatrical version, provided in the boxed set.

16. Bryan

Vidiot, do you know if the blu-rays will be the same HD transfer that have already appeared on TV?

I ask because you seem to always have good insider information on this sort of stuff. You're one of my favorite posters, by the way!

17. Bryan

Which will either never happen or it will happen but it will be half-assed. What I don't get is that George Lucas is friends with a lot of other directors who have also altered their films over the years, but they've still always included the original theatrical versions as well (Coppola and Spielberg are two that immediately come to mind and who I think have fairly close relationships with Lucas). Haven't any of them tried to talk some sense into this man?

18. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

They probably didn't want to and did so as an afterthought.

19. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

I'm not triple dipping the SW saga on Blu ray and STAR WARS is my favorite movie of all time. Laserdisc...dvd...and now Blu-ray. I'm not going to hold my breath to get the original theatrical cuts included in the set. In George's mind, the final editions are the definitive editions. With the eventual 3-D re-release of the series coming this year, I'm tired of making George Lucas any wealthier.

20. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I'll rent these from the local store for $1 each.

21. Paradiddle

Paradiddle Forum Resident

I've resigned myself to the fact that there won't be any releases of the original unaltered theatrical versions while Lucas still lives. Maybe Criterion will do a proper release when I'm in my 60s. :-\

22. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Oh, I'm sure he'll make it quite clear that his reach will extend beyond the grave.

23. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

It would be cool if this is the original!

24. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

How does grain become inconsitent over the years unless it has to do with using 2nd or 3rd generation negetives or composites. I can see fixing poor splices and other physical deformations over the years but film grain should be the same I thought unless grain can change its shape and motion over the years.
    If removing grain is possible and I know it is, doesnt that remove some picture quality also which then has to be adressed again. Then with a poor hand at the controil we end up with Patton looking like The View. Take care John M.:wave:

25. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

If they think I'm going to buy this simply because it is on a newer format....okay they got me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.