Star Wars coming to Blu-ray!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bryan, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

The Fett cartoon might benefit tremendously from it's original context. When surrounded by extended sequences of unsubtitled Wookie howling and Bea Arturo leading Catina aliens in a conga line, that Boba Fett bit starts looking pretty good.

Is the cartoon on the blu ray set complete? It seems like there should be an intro to it explaining the existence of the bizarre talisman, but it's been so long since I saw the original cartoon I can't remember for sure.

2. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

The Fett cartoon is horrible.

3. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

I'm with you in that I'm not sure where this whole "the original version of a movie is sacrosanct" attitude stems from. It has not always been this way with movies.

It seems to stem from the 70's and 80's when filmmakers started complaining about studio tampering. That's when you had the whole Directors Cut craze start. You also had the horrible colorization going on. I can understand people not wanting things to be changed in this way. Often times an inferior product was made and was not what the filmmakers intended.

The common battle cry is "this is not what the Director intended." Now things have swung the other way and certain film makers have the power to mess with things and do whatever they want, many times the same exact people who will argue with me a about colorization not being the directors vision, will turn around and go off about Lucas changing his movie to his vision and somehow stealing their memories.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. If you want the originals hunt them down. I enjoy both versions of THX for different reasons. I wanted a copy of the original so I hunted for it. I'm not going to condemn the man for trying to perfect his vision, he's not stealing my memories or doing anything to change the way I enjoy the originals.

I understand that people prefer the originals, yes I would love it if he released them alongside the newer versions. I just don't get the vitriol aimed at him for doing what he wants.

4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

I think a lot of it kicked into high gear when the single-film 2 DVD editions came out; yes, he put out the original theatrical versions of the films, mostly, but he did it with a non-anamorphic digital-noise-reduced transfer from a 1993 laserdisc, which I think seemed a bit like "here it is, as cheaply and as quickly as we could, enjoy or get lost".

Plus, I mean, let's face it. "Jedi Rocks" is a really, really, stupid idea. :laugh:

5. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

6. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

To quote Principal Skinner: "terrible, just terrible."

7. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Lucas briefly discusses the Jabba scene in this documentary (around the 15-minute mark)...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaMWTDwogbo

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, that's the flip side to "that's not what the director wanted." Now, we have a director who keeps changing what he wants. I'm not surprised, given that Lucas is a powerful filmmaker who has the money and ability to pretty much get anything he wants.

One thing I do puzzle over is: what if we could take the 2011 version of the first three Star Wars films back to 1984. Would the George Lucas of 1984 be more happy with those films?

9. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

There is another one I wonder about. If we could show Episodes I-III to an audience in 1984 would they hate the prequels as much as they do today?

10. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

True, but Lucas wasn't the director of either Empire or Jedi. I suppose that since neither Kershner or Marquand are around anymore to say otherwise Lucas can now stake his claim and remake both of those films into the original "vision" that was disregarded by both directors.

I'm currently reading Kaminski's "Secret History of Star Wars" and it's pretty obvious that Lucas was making the entire thing up as it went along.

11. tinchman

tinchman New Member

still sounds like he is making stuff up as he goes along. I will buy them when the price is under 50 bucks and not until then.

12. Pibroch

Pibroch Active Member

What's annoying to me is I saw two bundles at Meijer today: a prequel trilogy and a second trilogy. And no sign of any special features with either set. So you have to buy the 6 film bundle to get any special features?? Lame.

13. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Has anyone else noticed in ROTJ that the scene when the rebels arrive on Endor seems to lose focus for a minute or so? Specifically, I noticed it at the point where C3PO says "I told you it was dangerous here."

Is this something that's always existed that I never noticed with the previous lower-resolution releases? Or is it new to the blu-ray? I'm assuming this isn't a flaw unique to my copy.

14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

One of the online reviews mentioned that this ~5 minutes or so was a registration problem, and occurred on previous releases. The clarity of Blu-ray probably makes it more noticeable.

15. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

What's your problem, friend?

;)

16. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I'm surprised he hasn't gone back to redo the Fett cartoon a la The Clone Wars TV series. Once he's done that, there's no reason for the Holiday Special to even exist.

"The Fett cartoon is horrible."

It was easily the high-point of the evening for those of us that caught the Holiday Special when it was originally broadcast.

17. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

If it is a registration problem, then it must be with a dupe section made from protection masters since the film was made decades into the single strip era. In any case, it was probably a section of film that was damaged on the original negative and replaced.

18. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Arguably, Charlie Chaplin had the same attitude/approach without the arsenal of digital tools. At this point, all of Lucas' latest tweaks seem to fall into two broad categories:

1. fixing technical nits [some created by previous changes]
    2. trying to impose a smoother continuity across the entire six film series
    The latter category is an extra layer of maddening for fans of the original three films who don't like the prequels because it frequently involves imposing elements of the prequels on the original trilogy. Occasionally it is just "prequel on prequel crime", such as the CG Yoda in "Phantom Menace".

19. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

I was watching it when it was originally on air.

20. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I've watched the lot except for Return Of The Jedi. I really laughed at the new sound effect in the Star Wars scene where Obi-Wan scares off the Sand People that have beaten Luke. To me, it sounded like the sound a Wookie might make when having an orgasm.

21. I wonder what it takes to excite a Wookie like that...:agree::laugh:

22. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Er, watch the Holiday special sometime and find out. Lumpy will show you. Really.

But don't say I didn't warn you.

23. No need...I saw it when it originally aired on CBS!!!:winkgrin:

24. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Then you already know the... disturbing answer to your question!

25. Well...it WAS 30 years ago, so I'd blocked it out of my mind until your friendly reminder!!!:agree::laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.