STAR WARS DVDs: Changes Confirmed!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ACK!, May 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member Thread Starter

From digitalbits.com:

(EARLY UPDATE - 5/4/04 - 1:30 PM PDT)

There has been speculation for months now that when the Star Wars films are finally released on DVD (on 9/21), the versions we get will feature new scenes, updated effects and other changes from the 1997 Special Edition versions. We've been reporting here at the Bits for some time now that our inside sources were telling us that at least some additional changes were being made to the films for the DVD release. Well... we finally have official confirmation of this. While we don't know anything official about specific changes, Lucasfilm's "fan relations" guru Steve Sansweet had this to say this weekend, while speaking at the WonderCon convention in San Francisco:

When asked if the forthcoming DVDs would feature the original theatrical release versions of the trilogy or the Special Editions, Sansweet answered that the films contained on the discs would be the incarnations of the films "as George Lucas sees them today." He reminded people of the 1995 video release of the trilogy that hailed itself as the last time the original theatrical cuts would ever be available. "They weren't kidding," Sansweet noted.

Without saying we told you so... there you go. Personally, I'm just hoping against hope that Lucas lets Han shoot first again. The rest is trivial compared to that one thing for me. Anyway, thanks to Bits reader Mike S for spotting that.

Back with more soon...

Bill Hunt, Editor
    The Digital Bits

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh well, we've had a while to get used to this...

2. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I guess I'm glad I have my original VHS tapes of the first three but their life span will not be long.

Too bad the new versions have to be "remastered" when the original films are timeless.

Anyway, I'll still buy the new set when it comes out.

3. GregY

GregY New Member

Invest in a laserdisc player ... or even better, a DVD burner. ;)

4. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

Yep. Another reason to hang on to the laserdiscs.

5. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

This is always the problem when an artists, producer, director, whomever, looks back at what we fans consider classic work in its original state, and decide to tinker with it. Obviously, it's their right to do so, but it kinda takes away from the original, methinks.

6. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Open the bootleg floodgate's!!!
    I'm crying on my light-saber.:-(

7. wildchild

wildchild Active Member

Yea and movie's like Blade runner (director's cut). :realmad: Peace Todd.

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Yup! George is going to create a whole new underground bootleg economy. Bravo George!:rolleyes: Give the people what they don't want and make them pay AGAIN! for it:)

9. YaQuin

YaQuin Formerly Blue Moon

There is a such thing as overuse of "Artist's Perogotive".

A fine example of a DVD release is "The Lion King". Why would it be so hard for George Lucas to release the Original Star Wars and the Special Editions in one set, or separate sets?

I have the Original Widescreen THX VHSs and will keep them. I don't think I can spend the money on the DVDs out of protest.

10. GabeG

GabeG New Member

You know, reading the digital bits article and the source for it on starwars.com, I'm not sure that these are going to be different from the 97 versions. I'm not saying they won't be, but noting I read makes me think the dvd's are going to be 2004 editions. All Sansweet said is that they are the versions that lucas as he sees them today. I think it's jumping the gun to take this as evidence of additional changes.

11. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Agreed. These may well be the 'modern' versions but nothing new has been added(or removed, or whatever). Still, can't say I'm very enthusiastic about any of this. If we get commentary and other strong extras, well, that's another matter and would be of interest. But to see the current editions, the laserdiscs will do just fine for me.

:ed:

12. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

The newer version has Darth Vader's thundering voice replaced by Anakin's whine. For continuity's sake.

Don't laugh. It could happen!!!

13. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

Good point. Similar options to what we have on Terminator 2. Do you ever get the feeling that there is a definite point at which George Lucas just stops thinking? :)

14. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

there're a bunch of vhs "star wars trilogy" box sets out at my local pawn shop for $13. any recommendations on which edition to get? thanks!

15. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

Look at the bright side. Lucas is getting up there in age. When he passes away, I'm sure his estate will re-release the original films to make another few million bucks! ;)

Sean

16. danstone

danstone Senior Member

Have you seen this yet:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html (scroll down to the 4/8/04 update)

17. GabeG

GabeG New Member

Yeah, I saw it back on the 8th. Even they admit that it "could" be proof. To me it looks like a fanboy image. It certainly doesn't look like the actor who plays the emperor in the rest of the movies.

18. chasing_8

chasing_8 Forum Resident

I actually thought the Director's Cut of Blade Runner to be far superior (though I guess that deserves another thread).

The changed Star Wars flicks? Not at all. Going back and changing things that you wanted to do but the studio wouldn't let you (as with Ridley above) is one thing - changing things on a whim and for better effects is another. In the end, I don't mind so much that Lucas changed the films - it's not having both versions available that bugs me. Give people a choice. Of course, since he's going to be changing them for a third time - well, now it's just getting absurd.

19. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Yeah Lucas should've done the ET treatment and have the special edition and the original version in a DVD set.

I will never buy these DVD's. Lucas is insane.

20. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Well, these titles are now SO screwed up from thier original Saturday Matinee look & feel.
    I'm buying only, if these 'things' come out looking/sounding as good or better than re-released Alien.

21. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

On the update 1997 version of Star Wars with the added sequence of Jabba where they added the slug CGI around the human character...they needed to update that effect. Something wrong with the eyes on that. Definitely bad CGI.

I personally don't mind the updates. I like the Empire Strikes Back where they added windows to Cloud City. Opens it up! Looks nicer!

Brian

22. ACK!

I wouldn't surprise me once Lucas has exhausted his options with tweaking and remastering the trilogy that we'll see the return of the original edits - of course, they'll probably be bundled in a box set with the latest "special edition" so he can sell more of those.

I wouldn't put anything past George Lucas...if he applied all the energy and creativity that he uses on these revisions to his current Star Wars movies, they might actually be...worth watching. :o

23. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

24. ACK!

What's really wrong about that supposed screenshot of Return Of The Jedi is that Yoda and Obi-Wan are still old, but Anakin's not. Someone should slap George Lucas with a restraining order in regards to his old films.

25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, that makes absolutely no sense. Why would the ghost Anakin be young? Maybe something in the flick will be changed to explain this, but I doubt it. Just a way for George to promote "Episode III", methinks...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.